I gave up on VR. All vr games work great except this one

Oculus is definitely a part of the problem. I have better performance on the G2 than on my quist 2 on the same settings. Oculus uses 30% of my rtx3080 on just the link leving only 70% to run the game. Virtual Desktop on Oculus runs better than the link cabel you can trye that.

1 Like

For me it is the same. I have the quest 2, ryzen 5600X, 32 GB,3070 RTX. I tried everything. Sometimes I think it works. Everything runs smooth. Suddenly during the flight the fps breaks down and the flickering and stuttering starts. I have no idea what to do. Restart the flightsim helps for some minutes.
I have the best experience in using the standard setting and no Tray Tool in Background. It normally works for one flight with flickering only sometimes.
I have no problems in Xplane or any other game. The Developer of the MSFS 2020 still have a lot work to do.

I wholeheartedly agree. I just want to hop into VR. I donā€™t want to download any extra tools. I donā€™t want to tinker around with settings. Iā€™m even okay with pretty much the lowest possible settings. But no. No other game gives me this kind of trouble.

Iā€™m sticking to VTOL VR for the time being, a game developed by a single person, and itā€™s more satisfying to play than MSFS 2020. Pretty mind-blowing!

Same - Iā€™ve given up on VR for now. Lowest settings possible and itā€™s still a juddery mess and looks horrible. Too many variables in the equation. It either works or it doesnā€™t and for me it doesnā€™t.

XP for me for VR right now (plus Beat Saber!) - will revisit on here once (if) optimised.

I feel your pain, BUT dont give up on VR just yet. MSFS in VR when smooth is on another level, I cant ever go back to play in pancake mode. I think its mainly a quest link issue.

i7 6700k - NMV - 32 gb - RTX3070FE
Bought Q2 in December, tried for a couple of months to get it dialed in, same issue as you, it would work perfectly and then next day everything would start melting and stutterfest to no end. Tried the quest airplay workaround and that worked much better, not many stutters but the video quality suffered alot. I even put msfs down for weeks as I couldnt get a flight without stutters.
Got the G2 in Feb and let me tell you, with all settings exactly same in MSFS and nvidia, I had smooth smooth flights with no stutters. and I think with the recent drivers for 3000 series the game play has gotten better! There is that sweet spot issue that is noticeable initially, but honestly I take clarity in the center over stutter stutter and stutters.

I cant speak for Q1, and I think Q2 is a great device, BUT the link cable implementation is an afterthought and it shows especially for demanding sim as msfs. Like you I tried for months to get quest to work with a 3070 with every setting and tweeks and lost my mind. If you have a chance to try G2 then I would say that might be a better solution. Good luck

1 Like

Ok, Quest 2 running great in MSFS VR for me now. Using the Link Cable.

i9 9900 Crystal Lake
nVidia Quadro P4000 workstation card - itā€™s not a gaming rig by any means
32gb RAM

Donā€™t give up. VR > pancake, for me anyway.

This:

I stumbled over this thread today and totally donā€™t unterstand the problem. Perhaps the problem comes from the thousand ā€œtry this to optimise your VR-performanceā€ videos and threads. Or the reason is the ultra low cost headset Oculus Quest2?
I have a Valve Index and VR with MSFS worked out of the box fantastic. Then I wanted to squeeze some extra fps out of it and tried a lot of settings with WMR, OpenVRā€¦ Just a lot of snake-oil.
Ditched all of it and adjusted the in-game settings to smooth 30fps and itā€™s fine.
I will never go back, never ever. No external Tablets for G1000 emulation, no problem with the lack of supporting more monitors.
The feeling in the cockpit ist overwhelming. Itā€™s breathtaking, looking around, looking down, having a perfect sense for glide, drift, slip, feeling like really airborn.
I got used to the cockpit mouse within a few flights. As the mouse pointer blends in at the point at witch I look it got very intuitive to look at a instrument and grab the mouse near to the throttle to use it. Maybe a perfect handtracking is on the whishlist but I can live without it.
Perhaps the problem is mostly the hardware or integration of a low end VR headset like the Oculus into a high end simulation? With lighthouse the tracking of the headset is absolutely perfect. No bobbing, no wobbering, just the smooth movement of the head.
The only drawback was the last simupdate since then I have a small break of immersion because of the late blending in of landscape details. Why isnā€™t it possible to satisfy the high-end users too?

2 Likes

The game does feel great in VR, at times (when itā€™s working smoothly). But often it isnā€™t working smoothly - itā€™s freezing for a second or two, here and there, and the framerates are generally bad when compared with just about every other VR game.

My impression is that the game lacks optimisation, and that leads to a poor VR experience. The fact that some people are willing to accept 30fps in a VR game shouldnā€™t mean that itā€™s OK as it is and thereā€™s no further improvement required.

Iā€™ve noticed, when viewing from outside the cockpit, the framerates are much better. This makes me think that the cockpit rendering performance would be a good target for improvement. But random glitching, and lag during both loading and gameplay (often when coming in to land) suggest that thereā€™s room for improvement across the board.

Iā€™ve posted a few remarks about this a while back. Some of it has changed with SU5 but the root technology hasnā€™t: FS2020 VR is Rubbish compared to other VR Apps - #65 by CptLucky8

Of course thereā€™s room for improvement. But if I waited to try VR until it was perfect I will have missed out on months, if not years, of enjoyment. I really donā€™t mind being an unofficial beta-tester if thatā€™s what it takes to get into a VR cockpit.

2 Likes

Are they still planning to do a sim update focused on VR performance? That would be sorely neededā€¦

3 Likes

Only using MSFS in VR mode these days and I am quite satisfied with both the performance and the visuals.

Specs: R7 3700X / 16GB RAM / 1000GB SSD / RTX3060TI / HP Reverb G2
Settings: 80% renderscale in both Open XR and MSFS + many graphic settings High and some Ultra
Frame rate: 30-35 Hz

I had problems witth the frame rate being low regardless of what I did in MSFS. Even with most of the settings LOW and OFF I could only get a rate about 20-25 Hz. This was solved by setting ā€œUse latest preview OpenXR runtimeā€ to OFF. Then I got a framerate in the 40 Hz range and could increase many settings to get it just above 30 Hz.

Very satisfied with VR :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.