I love the Cessna 152. I just do

Typo. JPLogistics mod.

Thank you!

As much as I fly the larger GA more often, I still fly the C152 regularly. Itā€™s simple and effective. A bit on the slow side, but thatā€™s just the nature of what it is. Itā€™s probably the best stock plane in the sim. And since it doesnā€™t have an autopilot, you actually have to hand fly it. Itā€™s far too easy to get lazy with autopilot and let it do all the work.

One of my most memorable moments so far was the first time I successfully hand-flew an ILS approach in IMC conditions. And that was with the 152.

5 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s also fun to fly non-RNAV SIDs and STARs in it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love that flight from St. Barts to Grand Case!

4 Likes

Ok I have to ask what is likely a dumb question but does the 152 (and the 172) have a steerable nose wheel? Iā€™m using a Thrustmaster stick with a twist handle for rudder control and it doesnā€™t look that is also steering the front wheel while taxiing. Thanks.

The rudder pedals do control the nose wheel but for tighter turns you need to use differential wheel braking.

2 Likes

Yes that is basically what Iā€™ve been doing on the tighter turns. Does my twist stick rudder control work the same as actual rudder pedals?

Yes a joystick twist works the same axis if setup correctly. You obviously donā€™t have the brakes like you do with a set of pedals but you can bind these controls to some buttons. Itā€™s just not as natural or easy to control but it does work.

2 Likes

Love the 152 Aerobatic with the sunroof!
Itā€™s amazing in VR! Easy to balance for level flight. If you have a yoke, pedals and throttles, like the Honeycomb, itā€™s even more authentic.
I find thereā€™s a bug in the Cessnas since last update as I cannot turn on Pitot Heat anymore, and I get a warning light. Anyone else?

1 Like

I feel the same way. I just love the analog planes and the 152 does it so right.

Makes me pine for one IRL.

1 Like

What you need is a basic autopilot, like the one on VFlyteā€™s C150 for X-Plane. That allows you to point the plane without doing the work for you - thatā€™s pretty much all it does.

Thereā€™s actually an argument for an automatic AP for everything, just a setting to ā€œkeep flying in the same height and directionā€, so that you can have (say) a comfort break on VATSIM, they arenā€™t happy if you just pause.

2 Likes

I have this aircraft, while it does have an AP (using the Commuter panel) it doesnā€™t have altitude hold.

You can pause, you just have to ask first. In fact in XP I do fly the 150 a whole lot and I prefer to use the Trainer panel unless I am flying it under IFR. Simply let the controller know that you would like to pause for a moment. I mean if you just pause without asking then yeah, they will not like it.

I havenā€™t really dove into optional features you could have got for the Cessna 150 when it was still being produced but I find it highly unlikely an AP was one of them as it seems it would tack on substantial cost to the aircraft.

Another aircraft I like to fly a lot (in XP and P3D) is the Just Flight 152. There is no AP in this.

1 Like

Great thread. Never flown but will give it a try. I always fall back to the caravan as I really like it Until the Kodiak is released !

1 Like

Find myself nodding in agreement here. Itā€™s a great plane. Stable, easy to trim, (relatively) easy to land, slow enough that you get to see all the great scenery. I really have a soft spot for steam gauge aircraft anyway, I also like the 172 too.

3 Likes

ā€œi love to fly the smaller, simpler aircraft, kind of ā€˜true to the history of aviationā€™

not just for that but because you actually fly them rather than set the computers and watch :stuck_out_tongue:ā€

I couldnā€™t possibly agree more!

3 Likes

Thanks, Hester! I do that flight (or variations of it, maybe to Anguilla to TNCM or the other direction) all the time. It just never gets old, especially at dusk.

1 Like

Sure does. Your rudder control should control the steering.

1 Like

Itā€™s weird, Iā€™ve never tried the Aerobatic, not sure why. Iā€™ll give it a try today! And carb heat is working fine for me.

1 Like

The Just Flight 152 is awesome.