I switched from LINK to VD and the results are amazing!

I bought the Steam version of MSFS2020.

ALso, be mindful though if you opt into the Beta in SteamVR it changes the registry to use the SteamVR directory and if you want to use the LINK method again you may need to change the registry to point to previous location again in order for the LINK to work.

See related thread on the registry mentioned.

Indeed, VD is a game changer for Quest 2 users. I now fly smoothly with 100% render scale, medium range graphic settings (clouds HIGH and all sliders 100%), and 90Hz refresh rate with a below-minimum PC (i7-3770 16GB RAM + NVidia 1660 Super). I can fly airliners, or stunt over complex sceneries such as Tokyo, Hong Kong or Washington DC.

When I played Asgardā€™s Wrath through VD though, the lags were much more noticeable and hurt my game experience.

In comparison, my attempts to use Oculus Link cable with MSFS VR were completely failures: whether I used OpenXR or SteamVR, the FPS with Oculus Link was low and extremely unstable. I blame my low-end CPU and probably bad USB 3.0 port for this, although other games (including Asgardā€™s Wrath) seemed to run very well with Oculus Link.

1 Like

That only make the color pop. I can also notice the color gradient comparing VD and Link, with the VD seems to displaying 8-bit color or less. Iā€™m not sure.

Anyway, VD is still much easier to set up and get started to fly right away. With Link, the first connection is always stuttering, which need a few reconnection and re-cycle VR/2D in the game before I can get it to be stable. Quite frustrating actually.

1 Like

The MSFS color in VD actually looked better to me the first time I tried. Later I found that itā€™s because I turned on the Night Mode on my Quest 2, which changed color tones and made me felt more color depth was displayed.

So far I didnā€™t notice downgraded coloring in VD. However I feel image is less sharp than when I used Oculus Rift S. Text readings are still good and pixel resolution is actually higher, but I just have the overall feeling that things are not as clear as in Rift S.

Again, thanks for your suggestions. I did change the FOV setting. However, when I check the registry it now shows ā€œC:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtimeā€. IF it ever showed a setting for Steam, I never saw it. So I donā€™t know how to force it back to Steam.
Havenā€™t found anything about that. I presume once Iā€™m able to MSFS to Steam, it will show up like my other Steam VR games (e.g., HLA) and be easy to run from there (and not through SteamVR as you mentioned.

Interesting. When I try to "add non steam game) Steam shows me a (partial) list of stuff on my computer, primarily items on my desktop. When I try to browse for the game, Iā€™ve never sucessfully found a way to do that. MSFS.exe seems hidden behind some wall. Can you identify a path to your game?

@FinalllyFlying

you just launch MSFS in the normal way, by opening your windows start menu and you should find it there, normallyā€¦

but you must have done many other things before being able to use VD (Virtual Desktop) in Steam VR.

you should have updated the registry to set the Steam run time which you can find there C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\steamxr_win64.json

you must have installed Virtual desktop Streamer in your desktop

you must have used sidequest to update something also, i donā€™t remenber excatly, Virtual Desktop i guess

you must have registered to beta of Steam VRā€¦

etc, etcā€¦

and this is all these steps which i am unable to find again a post or tutorial explaining all thatā€¦

but in the end it works fine, u have MSFS in VR, but for me the FPS are lower than what i get with link, something like 10 to 18 max and low levels in MSFS VR parameters, when i can get 22 to 25 FPS with link everything set to ULTRA in MSFS

but maybe i am missing the right way to set parameters in the Steam Vr side.

thatā€™s so complexā€¦ i am very disappointed by all this stuffā€¦ need to wait improvements i guessā€¦

You can actually improve the colors using VD, it has an option to improve black values as well as one to make colors more vivid. You can find these in the headset app options.

The less sharp image might be due to compression artifacts, these get worse or improve based on your WIFI speed and the set bitrate. I seem to have less issues when forcing VD into using the HEVC codec from the streamer app.

Hereā€™s comparing VD (top) vs Link (bottom).

Can see the top VD has banding in the sky. This is with HEVC 120mbps.

Other than quick and consistent setup for VD, I find the wireless part fun when I feel like walking out of the aircraft - 4 meters away from the seat. Thatā€™s like touching the tail of the DA40, or to the galley of the Boeing 747 / Airbus A320 :joy:

To be sure you have to turn Beta for Steam VR. Once you do you will see the registry change to the SteamVr directory

1. On the left panel, click the drop-down menu and select Tools.
  2. Right-click SteamVR, and then and select Properties.
  3. Go to the Betas tab.
  4. In the Select the beta you would like to opt into drop-down list, select beta - SteamVR Beta Update.

Yes, Iā€™ve also switched to solely using VirtualDesktop for VR flying (and have been tuning for the best performance using VD), at least until the problems with the LINK cable are ironed out. Although I also love the freedom of not being attached to a wire and not having to fiddle with the Oculus Debug Tool every time I want to play.

Iā€™ll share my settings for a super smooth but highly detailed experience all over the world in planes without glass cockpit elements on a i7-6700K @ 4.4 Ghz (HT enabled), 32 GB RAM (2400mhz), an RTX3080 and a SSD.

The image is really smooth all the time, but I do get the occasional stutter or pause once in a while, especially when flying over complex photogrammetry areas. This seems to get less after about 10 minutes of flying.

Windows 10 (latest update):

• nVidia driver: 461.33 (this helped quite a bit coming from 457.30)
  • Game mode: On (just a little bit less stuttering)
  • GPU scheduling: On (just a little bit less stuttering)

nVidia settings (default except for):

• Power management mode: Optimal performance
  • Triple buffering: On
  • Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample: On
  • Texture filtering - Quality: Performance
  • Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: On
  • Vertical sync: Fast
  • Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 2

SteamVR:

• Updated to latest beta: 1.16.2 as of now

Virtual Desktop streamer settings:

• Preferred Codec: HEVC (seems to give a better image with less compression artifacts)

Virtual Desktop app settings (default except for):

• Increase color vibrance: Checked
  • Use optimal resolution: Unchecked
  • VR graphics quality: High
  • VR frame rate: 90 fps
  • Sliced encoding: Checked

MSFS settings (differences from a medium profile/important settings):

• Render scaling: 70 (gives a really sharp image combined with VR graphics quality set to high in VD), but you can set it toward 100 for an even sharper image. You can also set the VR graphics quality to medium in VD and raise the render scaling above 100, but I didnā€™t notice much change in performance.
  • Terrain level of detail: 100 (increasing this gives me more stuttering and pauses)
  • Buildings: High (they are just too basic on medium)
  • Grass and bushes: Low (better performance around airports and when getting low)
  • Terrain vector data: Low (little bit less stuttering)
  • Objects level of detail: 100 (havenā€™t tried lower settings for this one yet)
  • Volumetric clouds: Ultra (I really like detailed clouds)
  • Texture resolution: Ultra
  • Anisotrophic filtering: 16X (makes distant objects and runway lines as clear as possible)
  • Texture supersampling: Off
  • Contact shadows: Low
  • Ambient occlusion: Low
  • Windshield effects: High (the rain effects are just gorgeous)
  • Reflections: Medium
  • Light shafts: Medium (to see your landing lights in the fog)
  • Bloom: On
  • Glass cockpit refresh rate: High (seems to help when flying glass cockpit planes)

MSFS traffic settings:

• All set to off (AI planes, static planes, cars, boats).

Disabling all traffic really helped performance, stuttering and pauses around airports and when approaching them.

4 Likes

@ LMeX
Thanks for the excellent list of settings but there are a couple more I would like to know:
VD - video streaming bit rate (e.g. 80mbps)
SteamVR - resolution settings (e.g. 2000x2000)
MSFS2020 - average FPS

Thanks - I think your list should be made a template for all others to report their findings!

1 Like

I agree with what you say, especially isappointment and frustration. I still havenā€™t suceeded iln VD but have had sucess (of a sort) through LINK.
It helped to start with MSFS graphic recommendations (medium) in my case) which at least got me flying without black bars, stutters, etc. but even that is a bit disappointing. It didnā€™t take much increase in a couple of sliders before I started seeing stuttering when flying low.

It presents such a difficult conflict: really good graphics outside of VR but a thrilling immersive experience (I got all the dizziness I expected making a sharp turn in one direction while looking out the window the other way) using the HMD. And no matter how much better the graphics could be in VR (if i upgraded my system) thereā€™d still be be the screen door effect until at least the next gen Quest or something else.

Also it seems there is a slight consensus that LINK produces better quality than VD, as one might expect. So Iā€™m a bit wary about continuing to pursue the VD option.

Geez, GC15, I really appreciate you hanging in there so I hate to have to ask this question, but after nearly an hour of looking, I canā€™t find a path from either the Steam app or SteamVR app on my computer that gets me to that ā€œtoolsā€ option your directions start with.

Itā€™s in steam , you can click library , then tools :hammer_and_pick:

For me itā€™s the opposite , I cannot use link anymore, too much stuttering and unstable.

In VD , I get very smooth gameplay and even better since Iā€™ve overclocked my cpu.

I have a rtx 2080 and ryzen 7 2700 (base clock 3.2ghz) OC to 3.6ghz ā€¦ so much better now. I also disabled STM (hyperthreading) in bios and it works like a charm now even with a320 and high refresh rate glass.

VD is set on high quality and steamVR 100% res.
In game 100% as well. Most stuff on high. PC settings in game are set to full screen 1920x1080 with same options as VR so everything loaded are the same when switching from PC to VR.

110mbs streaming cause I would see artifacts using lower than that.

Nvidia drivers 460.33 and nvidia Control panel as is except for vsync fast and optimal performance for power management.

Live Traffic and live weather enabled.

Having a blast finally :wink: I think the game changer was the overclockā€¦ 3.2 was too slow for DX11 game. Will probably be okay when the game is updated to DX12

Where do I find the Streamer Software? Is ist part of VD or of Sidequest?

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

You need to download this and install on your PC
If thatā€™s what youā€™re asking

1 Like

I never touched my SteamVR settings, itā€™s on auto 90hz. My VR bitrate is set to 99mbps, but I donā€™t think I reach that at all (using a Wifi 5 AC router with a reinforced concrete wall between me and the router).

Never really looked at my average FPS, Iā€™m a ā€œonce itā€™s smooth for me - itā€™s goodā€ type of gamer but I can take a look at it later tonight.

1 Like

I finally stated to use most recent NVIDIA driver and didnā€™t see much difference.

I also used Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 2.

I agree 'Anisotrophic filtering: 16Xā€™seemed to offer noticeable better graphics, and didnā€™t impact performance that much. Strangely almost all other guides recommended people turn it off or choose lower settings.