I wish they would just stop updating the SIM at this point or making updating OPTIONAL

It seems like by the time I get this finally working for maybe 2 or 3 weeks then they come out with another update - muck everything up - and then its weeks again before things are sorted out and not crashing. Only to go through it again! … and again … and again.

And I am sorry… This safe mod is pointless for me because the aircraft that actually ship with the game are so bloody awful, laughingly unrealistic and unflyable that If I cant run it with the FBW a320 then I am not interested in the sim.

I think what the sim is trying to say is that, let’s isolate the main issue of the CTD by loading the sim in safe mode. If things are working as it should vanilla, then something in your mod is definitely causing it.

Not to say that it doesn’t run FBW A32NX, since I’ve been livestreaming my FBW A32NX flights without too many serious issues. But it may be coming from other mods that you use.

But then again, sometimes even mods may not be the cause of the CTDs. Do you have any form of overclocking perhaps? If so, see if you can reset all your hardware to the factory default. Do you have memory issues, perhaps? or something else causing it.

Making updates optional isn’t really an option, since it’s an online software as a service (SaaS) platform, so everyone needs to be in the same build version. Kinda like MMORPG. You don’t want other players to be running on an old with a potential security vulnerability. Keeping everything up-to-date as mandatory is to ensure everyone is under the same environment.

3 Likes

No Mods… just FBW.

No over-clocking at all. 32g of RAM.

Its doing what it was doing for a few weeks after SU5. I can just walk away and leave the sim sitting in the menu and it eventually crashes.

I guess you are right… its the inevitable misery of the SaaS platform.

At least its giving the X-plane guys a chance to stay relevant and in business for their next iteration

1 Like

I disagree, the sim is still full of bugs. We will need updates and patches at least for the next year.

In that case, which version of the FBW A32NX are you using? Currently the stable version 0.6.3 (including the one from the marketplace) is really outdated.

So if you haven’t done so. Try to clear the FBW A32NX stable version from the marketplace using the content manager, and make sure you also clear every trace of the FBW A32NX from the Community folder and the Packages folder one level above it.

Then use the FBW Installer tool, to install the Dev version instead, which will install the current latest version of it.

It will never be…This is the problem.

I patiently waited for 8 months avoiding all temptations to download MSFS when it fist came out expecting that it would have a lot of bugs to work out first.

Now that I have been in it for many months now and see the predictable repetitive cycle that plays out I really don’t see this as changing. Neo4316 was right in pointing out the SaaS beast. They are going to constantly muck around with it to keep it fresh and people engaged and because its such a complex piece of software with numerous 3rd party dimensions its going to be an ongoing cycle of more time spent trying to make it stable after each update.

At least with X plane I had the rotate md80 that I bought and loved and I could opt out of updates for the sim. As a result I had a stable plane and system that I could use.

May I ask which of the default aircraft you have flown IRL and how many hours on each type?

I use the DEV version and check for updates daily.

Like I said the FBW is not the problem.

The sim crashes fine all by its own just sitting in the main menu long enough.

I even still go thru my routine of switching to the IFR map which was necessary to avoid crashes after SU5.

I thank you for your polite emails and suggestions though. I think I just hit the ceiling on my frustration levels with MSFS yet again and needed to vent.

Do you know if the AI autopilot issue of it requesting ATC destination change to what I am already cleared to multiple times after take-off a FBW or general sim problem?

A multitude of single engine piston ac. I was a flight instructor in my 20s

This sims approach to adjusting control input sensitivity on a curve it just not acceptable.

The sensitivity is just absurd. X-plane can seem to get it right, don’t know why asobo can’t

I strongly disagree.
There are different ways to compensate for the much lower size and travel most joysticks have compared to the real equipment.

In other sims some aircraft have a sensitivity curve built directly into the flight model.

The Copilot requesting ATC destination change happens when you make any change into your flight plan (even if it’s the exact same thing from the flight plan that you set in the world map). So if you want to avoid ATC destination change. You may need to create a gate-to-gate flight plan from the world map. Select IFR High-Airways, then choose the Departure pattern and Arrival pattern as well as the approach. When you have a full flight plan, start the sim, and as long as you don’t make any changes to the flight plan in the MCDU, the ATC will not request another clearance.

Ya that is how I carry out a flight - just as you outlined with zero changes - however shortly after take-off it has been starting up with this fun… It gets problematic when it starts re-clearing me to new altitudes that are lower than previously cleared to altitudes and its wanting me to descend again before I can climb. Did it recently just as I was starting an Rnav approach into KPDX.

Before WU6 it would just do it once in awhile after SU5. Now it seems it does it several times a flight - if it doesn’t crash that is.

Weird. I’ll wait a few weeks and hope it goes away.

Hmm… that’s strange, I’ve never been cleared to a lower altitude on climb before… Even now… The only time the ATC tells me to expedite my descent to a lower altitude while climbing is when I’m already aiming for the cruising altitude, and I just happen to overshoot the altitude assignment from the ATC while they’re busy handling another traffic.

By the time they’re free to handle my flight, they see I already climbed past the assigned altitude, told me to descent, and once I do, they assigns me to a higher altitude again. But this isn’t a SU5 issue. It’s definitely my own deliberate pilot error since this has happened to me since launch.

I usually just keep an eye on my climbing, if the ATC is suddenly talking to another aircraft while I reached the assigned altitude, I quickly level off until they assigns me a new altitude.

I definitely agree that updates should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be optional. At least give us an ample time frame to update a la Windows. Geez M$ should have learned this lesson by now after so many prematurely released Windows updates have caused mayhem for so many users worldwide. The proof for MSFS is the absolutely beyond horrible ‘Xbox debut’ update #5.

Regarding update #5, I can’t believe that Asobo still hasn’t fixed the stuck-in-the-past recent airports list in the flight creator menu that used to work perfectly. Working on my current scenery project I’ll bet I’ve had to manually type in my current airport code a gazillion times since update 5 killed that function as I have to go in and out of the sim often adding and tweaking new scenery objects.

I have to say I really love MSFS 2020 but certainly not M$ merging Xbox version with the PC! We’re already seeing compromises and massive problems with that Tilting at Windmills approach. In the long run it’s never going to work anyway as most Xbox players are not dedicated flightsimmers and don’t want that realism and learning curves. Microsoft should have learned that lesson long ago after ditching the original MSFS franchise then going for the failed 2012 Microsoft Flight Xbox-style game that everyone hated.

1 Like

Completely unrealistic on a connected platform as MSFS. It’s getting its data from a multitude of sources. These can’t be all kept backwards compatible to serve your out-of-date client. Updates will always be mandatory and there is good reason to do so.

6 Likes

If some functionality requires a newer version to work it should be the user’s choice to upgrade or not.

There are still ways to run older versions.

Yes. The key in that message is “turn off your internet connection”

1 Like

It has to do with how it’s basically like a whole new IFR clearance issued. It issues a new transponder code and new initial climb altitude. The problem is when my first clearance was 11000 and I am already through 9000 then my copilot decides to get a new clearance and the new initial altitude is 6000. Then it wants me to go back down before it will clear me to higher. The real strange one was when it did it for the first time on approach and wanted me to climb to 10000.

Huh… that’s so weird… it’s like the flight plan changes on its own without any input.

Sorry, that’s absolutely NOT TRUE as Windows itself is perfect proof that updates should NOT BE mandatory. Now then, if updates were 100% debugged and 100% thought through, then I agree that they should be automatic. But since nobody’s perfect, especially software developers, then it’s long been proven to be much better for the massive worldwide users to have some time to see if the updates are broken, a la Update #5. Sorry, but you’re living in a dream world if you think mandatory updates for a massive worldwide audience is a good idea. History has proven otherwise, my friend. Cheers!

2 Likes