ICON A5: [Solved] Strong rudder for runway landing touchdown?

Having quite a few hours in the X-Plane/vSkyLabs ICON A5, I skipped the MSFS ICON A5 tutorial and have put some hours flying airport takeoffs and water landings comfortably.

Today I was surprised on my centerline touchdown of a runway landing by the plane steering sharply left.

The first two times I aborted the landing roll by throttling up, and took off again with aileron and rudder input to regain the runway heading. MSFS ATIS was reporting winds: calm at that time. (Perhaps 15 minutes later ATIS started reporting what would have been a light crosswind for that runway heading).

For my next two landings I was ready with strong right rudder input at touchdown to maintain a centerline rollout.

Anyone else experienced something like this on landing the A5?

There must have been a cross wind. I taxi’d at that airport looking for the windsock but couldn’t find it.

I just did a pattern with custom no wind and did not experience any problem with landing on the centerline without needing any rudder input.

I don’t know how much this would apply to your scenario, but it wouldn’t hurt to take a look at Ground Handling | List of aircraft wheel friction values.

Overly exaggerated weathervaning is a documented issue in the sim.

1 Like