ILS Approach Waypoint runaround

ATC and route planning are buggy to say the least. In World Map, usually I start cold and dark, after setting up and IFR flight plan, with a dedicated approach and pick the ILS Landing Runway. Half the time when 10 miles from Runway and touchdown, ATC tells me to ascend to FL18 and completely screws up my landing approach, this after using the very tools built into SIM, and updating the FMC to make sure all my stuff is in it. I have worked out long and detailed “Cold and Dark for 747” and have not successfully been able to land yet except once. Either the Sim has not got clue on airport, redirects me to different altitude in final minutes, or the AP or Auto Throttle is messing up my approach/landing speed or something. YES, this is a complex process, making sure all the correct data is in the FMC has more bearing on success than the AP settings, since they work in harmony, with the FMC taking over most of the chores. It’s also a steep learning curve, of which real pilots do daily more than once, they earn their salary period. I will get it, but it’s a work in progress, and have been sim user since FS-98, part of the problem is the buggy sim, and part is this one is more lifelike than any previous sim, well maybe Xp-10, but I have not used it. I have successfully used FSX and flown all C-17; 747; 737; all over world without too many issues, but this one whoa-back, nothing but issues with it, and no I did not just get incredibly stupid, this thing needs a whole lot of work so it’s “as real as it gets” without all the other junk they throw into it.

I think the only workaround for this is planning the approach already in the sim’s flight planner. That way when you file the IFR plan to get the clearance from delivery the whole trip is planned and cleared. That of course is not very realistic and this bug needs to be fixed. But like that the flights are more enjoyable without the hassle with the on-board computer during the arrival.

I recommend people vote on comment on the official bug report thread that already has over 500 votes.

Approach flyback bug - Not fixed as stated in SU5 - Bugs & Issues / ATC & NAVAIDs - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Also should this topic be merged into that one?

2 Likes

Voted. Already forgot this was supposed to have been fixed in SU5.

No, that no longer works any more. Since SU5, even if I fully plan on the world map with full approaches it still does a crazy Ivan at some point. Previously it did work.

1 Like

For me the workaround of planning the approach in the flight planner still works 99% of the time. The important point is to select direct GPS first and see which runway the Flightplanner selects at the destination airport. Then I change to a regular IFR Flight Plan and select an arrival and approach for that runway. The only thing that sometimes happens is that ATC assigns a different transition for the approach. In that case it is easily possible to request the pre-planned transition from ATC. It is still an annoying bug, but this way I get around it most of the time.

1 Like

Yes, for me too. I haven’t had any issues with it. I’m planning my flights in Simbrief and selecting the desired approach after I import the plan.

I have tried that, but i still get the crazy ivan, though I admit it happens mostly with the FBW A32nx release version. I might switch to the current dev version and see if it improves. I have done a few flights with the B787 and those seem to be fine (to be honest these days the 787 is really underrated).

I am going to try the TBM today and see if things improve (setting the full flight in the world map planner)

Unfortunately MSFS is not always using the correct runway, especially when there is only a light wind. In the beginning I was also selecting approaches according to the reported wind and it ended up not being the runway in use. I don’t know why, but in the Sim there are often runways in use that actually have tailwind on Landing. What I found out to be more accurate is to always use the runway that is shown in the Flighplanner when you select an airport. That always tends to be the active runway.

Had this yesterday with an in-sim ILS plan. Sent me in a big circle near to the airport.

As mentioned before this is a major known bug. However, a number of the great nav system mods by PMS and WT have either resolved this issue or provided work-arounds. Of course, in order to use these mods it matters what aircraft are being used.

• First of all the current WT g1000 NXi Garmin which is actually available in the Marketplace resolves many approach and nav issues
  • The PMS50 GNS530 and GTN750 mods actually get around the turn-around bug by deleting all previous waypoints automatically when the approach is activated. Direct To can also be used with these mods to establish the IAF you want to use.
  • The WT g3000 mod is excellent but doesn’t yet have the corrections for the turn-around bug the others do. If I note a turn-around has been implemented, I immediately reset with a direct to my chosen IAF, then set a HDG for the final course intercept, then activate the final leg.
  • Note: in order to use the GTN750 mod, you must have the new WT g1000 NXi uninstalled and use the regular WT g1000 instead

So is this now solved? Any idea how the latest FBW A320 handles this issue?

I just did use the FBW A320 yesterday for YSSY-YMML.

I had expected a different runway than what was assigned in FS, I just change it on the go. I’m fairly savvy with the B737-700 of PMDG and I can manage on the A320 okay too.

With the change I still got near enough to the final approach for the runway and flew the remainder of the approach manually.

Try this:

Ignore the last sentence as it is back.

Does this still work?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/autopilot-u-turn-when-you-set-approach/286614/22?u=virtualchrism

The best way to avoid the U-turn when adding an approach, is to add the “via” waypoint to the flight plan first. So when ATC says, expect ILS runway 14R via ADIMO… you immediately go to the Flight Plan page, type in ADIMO in the scratch pad, and click the airport waypoint to insert it above. Confirm. Now you’re flying to ADIMO so when you add the approach for ILS 14R via ADIMO, there’s no disruption to your plan and no U-turn.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.