Im done with this sim on XBOX

After the SU10 beta update the HOTAS ONE no longer works in XBOX S.

I am sorry to hear of your misfortune with MSFS on the Xbox Series S. I haven’t had the issues that you speak of, but I’ve stopped using MSFS on my Xbox Series X because of the inability to land correctly due to the software.

First, after landing, my rudder would not work, forcing me to use the yoke to steer the plane to taxi. The rudder would work pre-flight, and during flight, but totally shut down after landing. I shut off all AI Flight Assists, but the problem remained. This would happen with any plane I used (mainly Cessnas).

Now, the problem is worse, to the point of being completely useless to play. When landing (again, in any plane), the aircraft veers immediately to the left or right (usually to the right), running off the runway. There is no response from either the yoke or rudder. The aircraft simple keeps on turning, almost going circular in pattern. Again, I have turned the AI Flight Assist off, and then on, and then off, and then in final frustration, reinstalled the program. And the problem remains.

Yes, I know that most will say that I shouldn’t use Xbox Series X, that I should be using a PC. I simply do not have the funds to invest in a high-end PC at the moment.

I believe others have complained about this rudder/landing issue, but I haven’t seen any fix or work-around for the Xbox Series X. I keep hoping, much like you do, that there will be a fix, but I think I just tossed out my $120.00 for a sim that doesn’t really work.

Disheartening.

1 Like

No, they won’t :wink:
Many of us are using the X-box X, me included and mostly it does a wonderful job.

You did not say what flight control you are running - yoke/gamepad etc

2 Likes

I am using the Xbox controller.

The rudder is binded to LT/RT.

The yoke is binded to Left Analog.

Pretty much all bindings are default. They only thing I have played with are the sensitivity settings. And as I said, I have turned the AI Flight Assist off, and then on, and then off again. Even with the Flight Assist on, the aircraft still veers off the runway immediately, and there is no response to the rudder or yoke.

Take off and flying, everything is fine. Landing, everything is (censored) and I want to uninstall.

Actually, when first getting the sim, everything worked fine. But now, as I said, it is pretty much pointless to play. I don’t even attempt the Jumbo Jets because I am (was) still learning with the Cessna, but as I said, I’ve given up on the sim.

I did have FSX on PC, though. It was always crashing out of the program, but I was able to fly Cessnas to local airports (it usually took an hour before the PC crashed). Even had a Saitek yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals.

Flight Sims and I haven’t had a good relationship, I guess. lol

1 Like

I’m sure there is a reason :wink:

Try this - load a flight, just a departure airport only, set weather to AI, clear skies and delete the lower wind layer, set time to 6AM. Take off and fly a circuit pattern then land (or attempt to) - see what happens, report back.

Just trying to rule out the possibly overzealous wind effects on the smaller planes causing weathervaning on the ground. These settings should give zero or practically zero weather input.

1 Like

Alright, Dave. I will try your suggestion.

I will turn my Live Weather to AI, and will delete the lower wind layer, and depart at 6:00am. I will circuit pattern at 1500 ft., and then will attempt to land. Additionally, I will try this with the Flight Assists both on and off. I will report back regarding the results later today, or possible early tomorrow around this time (I am on 24 hour call, so my work schedule is somewhat hectic, to say the least).

Many thanks and appreciation for your help and suggestions regarding this matter.

1 Like

No problem, look forward to your reply.

1 Like

Just a thought…and I’m sorry if it has already been mentioned.
Is it possible to update your xbox controller firmware on the xbox or perhaps re-calibrate the contrller ?
I’m on a PC so this is a stab in the dark :expressionless:

1 Like

On Xbox, go to devices. From there you can see if an update is available for the controller etc.

1 Like

Sorry for the late return response. I’ve had a small break in my work schedule, so I am taking the time to write the results of our test runs.

I did 8 test runs, using a Cessna 172. Approximate altitude was 2000ft.

4 were in a circuit pattern, returning to the same airport.

4 were going from one airport to another nearby airport, approximately 10 nms away.

Of the 8 test runs, 4 were done with the customized weather and time, deleting the ground level wind. The other 4 were done were done with live weather.

Of the 8 test runs, when using customized weather, I was able to land without veering off the runway each of the 4 times.

Of the 8 test runs, when using live weather, I was able to land without veering off the runway 2 times. 2 other times, I veered off the runway much like I previous described in my prior posts.

Although I will test out the theory more as time permits, it seems that your theory regarding the ground level wind does seem to affect the Cessna’s landing. Obviously, I will have to test this more to see if the theory continues to give the same results. Of course, what does confuse me is that when I was having the problem with veering off the runway, it was at various airports in various states. Also, I seemed to have no problem taking off when there is ground level wind.

Lastly, regardless of how well I landed, the problem with the inoperable rudder still exists. As described before, after landing the plane, there is no response from the rudder for taxi purposes. I have to use the yoke for steering. On external view of the plane, I can see the rudder “twitch” a bit, then return to center, when using the LT/RT of the Xbox controller.

Anyway, these limit results seemed to have answered as to the possible reason for the veering off the runway.

I will definitely see if the controller needs an update on its firmware. What confuses me is that in the taxi “training mission”, the LT/RT seem to work just fine.

Thanks for the reply and its good to see that some change was seen.

I have never used the xbox controller as i favour a yoke, maybe there is an update, does it have sensitivity settings in the controls page?? Maybe go in and make sure each axis is reaching the desired output.

I cant offer more help but it does seem some useful info was gained :wink:

1 Like

Thank you. I was about to inquire (or Google search) how one goes about updating the firmware of the controller. Again, much appreciated.

1 Like

No it doesn’t

When I have both, it sure does, bud.

An xbox is not out performing a pc that costs 4x as much.

I’m with you. A console as cool as they are can’t keep up with a top pc and on top of that, too many limitations.

1 Like

Yes I must agree that the issue is down to 3rd party add-ons.

Unless Microsoft come out with their own liveries and Aircraft then in my opinion you will always have CTD or issues with the SIM.

It’s a shame but until there is a resolution we just have to deal with it.

Lol previous post, the PC brigade can’t bare to miss an opportunity to talk about power or specs. LOL!

I know I need to feel my expense is justified, but to be frank, I am using it less and less for games.

An Xbox doesn’t need to compete with power it just needs to run the Sim which it does easily.
It needs some peripherals, which it has.

Sure I get the occasional CTD or the odd black screen on the S, but not the X. It however works and renders a reasonable version of quality.

I don’t need the hassle of extra settings for graphics or worrying about updating drivers and what impact they might have, or how my graphics card needs an upgrade chasing ultra settings.

The Xbox is a fraction of the cost, can be used by the whole family easily (unlike the PC) or visiting kids, and is maintenance free.

Each to their own though. For me though it’s an easy win for anyone casually using MSFS from the sofa.

11 Likes

Yep PC is much better. You have no flexibility with Xbox, it cannot even run simple traffic. It’s not much of a flight sim with missing liveries, bare bones inaccurate airports, no ability to customise personal liveries or even install a decent number of 3rd party add-ons without crashes.

2 Likes