I'm lovin' it!

And no: I am not talking about the burger joint! I mean I am loving this sim. And yes: I am neither blind nor terminally dumb: I DO know a lot of people have issues. I just happen to be one of those that do not have issues and for whom the sim is great FOR WHAT I DO.

First off: my setup:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
EVGA RTX 3080
Two M.2 NVMe drives (system and MSFS 2020 data respectively)
32GB DDR4 3200 memory
Benq 32" 4K monitor

Quality is set at pretty much all Ultra, running at 4K resolution. I do not use live traffic or weather. I love the quality of the scenery the way I fly: really gorgeous.

I am one of the fortunate ones that have pretty much not had any issues. The one exception was that I was afflicted by the Capture One CTD issue, and in that case the forum proved its value perfectly. I searched on the errant DLL that the error log said was causing the problem, found the thread on the Capture One issue and fix, renamed the DLL and all was good again.

I typically fly GA low level VFR, mostly with the community mod Bonanza with the WT G1000NXi. Flying at 2,000 - 5,000 ft. I typically get 45-ish FPS with highs over 50 FPS over featureless terrain. Photogrammetry cities reduce the frame rate and getting into clouds the frame rate can go as low as low 30’s: I am perfectly happy with that.

I have done some IFR flights with the G1000 NXi and, given my limited knowledge of the subject, it has worked well for me. Did an RNAV flight from Brussels to Frankfurt and everything worked as advertised. Yesterday I did a VFR flight along the Nile from Alexandria to Asyut Int. (HEAT) and halfway there I decided to do an RNAV approach at the destination. Programmed the procedure/approach into the NXi “on the fly” and again: worked flawlessly I thought. But with IF flights: I really do not know what I am doing but regardless, I still enjoy doing it! When I did real life IF training many years ago it was NDB and VOR letdowns… That does not really equip you for modern day instrumentation and aids!

While I find it disappointing that the forum now downsizes 4K images to 1920 x 1080, a few images of recent flights:

Brussels to Frankfurt:

The approach

Nepal with the TBM

Montreal to Quebec City

Crete to Athens, Greece:

Down the Nile from Alexandria to Asyut

It is nice and green along the Nile with lots of parallel-ish canals and lots of irrigated crops but boy, once you get away from the river…

Arriving at Asyut:

Like I said: I am loving it!

52 Likes

Looks great. Just missing some Chilli Cheese bites on the side . . .

5 Likes

Now if you could transfer your hardware and setup to the other 95% of the forum, you’ll have spread a lot of peace, happiness and goodwill to thousands of frustrated gamers!

10 Likes

Ahh, my humble apologies: while I might have the desire to be a good Santa to all, I am afraid I do not have the abilities… :grinning:

4 Likes

Limiting the FPS to 30fps in the video driver control panel is a pretty good starting point. If my 2070s can run the sim smooth on ULTRA, I am pretty sure just about anyone’s system can.

To the OP I must say that your beautiful pictures would be slammed by the people over in beta now. The beta is not anymore about testing and making sure all the issues that were planned and communicated are in fact fixed. The sole focus is now the representation of the clouds and that all the different cloud types from the real world are not present in the sim. And more generally that the cloud coverage is not always everywhere exactly like it is in real life.

Just a heads up, when the discussion will move over here after the release, as I can’t see, how the expectations could be met.

5 Likes

@SlabsFly, I think I am a bit like you. Cheers.

1 Like

Well I’m using a humble I7 9700/2080Ti to drive a G2 … just made a local flight in the JF Warrior to St Louis on a hazy winter afternoon (entirely in VR of course). This is definitely the smoothest VR experience I’ve had so far.

A few loops of the Gateway Arch in the low, late afternoon sun before groping my way to Lambert. Silky smooth and the arch catching the sun as I swung around the south side was yet another ‘WOW’ moment that this wonderful sim has given me.

Yeah. I’m lovin’ it too!

2 Likes

Understood. It must be accepted that we all have different expectations, uses, wants and experiences from the sim/game. It must be clearly understood that I can only comment on my own situation: I cannot comment on the expectations and experiences of others. I tried to address that in my original post with the comment that I know that there are many people with issues. While I completely understand, accept and commiserate with that, unfortunately it is beyond my ability to help in those cases.

All I wanted to do was to tell of my experiences and my enjoyment of the sim/game. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

95%??? I think that’s a little high.

3 Likes

I’m also one of the lucky ones that have largely been issue free. I occasionally have an issue and also suffer from the occasional bug but nothing deal breaking. I have an Intel 10900k processor, RTX 3080 GPU, 32gb 3600mhz ram, 1 X m.2 1tb for the operating system, 1x2tb sata SSD for MSFS, and another 4tb of sata SSD’s for miscellaneous stuff. The PC is exclusively for MSFS so other software is kept away for the most part.

I have a very smooth and trouble free experience but I am only a casual simmer and generally only fly GA VFR.

I’ve been a casual simmer dating back to the early origins of Flight simulator. What I see in MSFS 2020 is just beautiful in comparison. I remember with flight Sim X I bought some photo realistic scenery which cost over $100 at the time which had coverage of a city. Now you get the entire world for free. I’ll gladly accept the occasional bug or issue.

Anyway. Another happy camper here.

8 Likes

And another happy camper here. Issues from time to time for sure but I am so happy to have MSFS2020 available. I fly in VR in a Valve Index with an RTX3070, 32gb RAM, i7, Samsung 970 drives. I am awe struck sometimes looking out of the cockpit at the world. It is just amazing and worth the occasional glitch. MSFS is a bit of two steps forward, one back but the progress is there before my eyes.

3 Likes

I have a medium PC and I am a great fan of MSFS. I’ve also had many of the problems that others have had and made my complaints but it is my go to sim and there are quite a few WOW moments for me. I’m also happy that the CRJ (and others) are catering to the more serious simmer. The creases will be ironed out, I’m sure. (I’d love for the float planes to work better on water)

1 Like

Just goes to show how maccies marketing did so well with that motto.

Back on topic: do they still do those red-hot pieces of apple pie that burn your mouth?

1 Like

I too am very pleased overall with MSFS 2020. Purchased a new PC so I would have a fair chance at running it. Been with the Microsoft Flight Simulator community from the very beginning, through each new development.

Spent all I could afford and got an i9 10900 locked, gtx 2070s, 2tb ssd + 2tb hdd, 32 gb ram. Lately I have only flown with small aircraft and steam gauges, vfr altitude 1500-3000 .

Although I wish photogrammetry was more consistent managing servers, and would expand to more cities, I love what I see while flying in the MSFS world. I’m sure if I had more money to burn I could see more clearly and spectacular imagery, but I am more than content. Currently using the latest beta version, along with Windows 11 pre-release, and DX 12. Which I could not use when it was first released, so it looks like latest nvidia driver has helped DX 12 to be utilized. In fact, I had ctd’s with DX 11 with latest nvidia drivers until reading on the forum and gave DX 12 a second chance.

Currently averaging around mid 40’s and even 60 frames per second, to mid 30’s when taking off from airports like San Francisco. Once in the air, back into 50’s. Overall, the sim runs very smooth, even on landings. I get some stuttering while panning around outside, but that smooths out after a few seconds. Most settings on “ultra” or “high.” Yep, I’m lovin’ it too!

2 Likes

Nice to hear a positive message on this forum once and a while! I also love this sim and have had zero issues on my machine.

2 Likes

All you have to do is look at all those great photos and videos from the sim posted online and you realize there must be a lot of people out there enjoying the sim just like you do.
Ok next flight across my house. I just cleared the driveway of snow. want to see if that shows in the sim…
:wink:

3 Likes

Big Brother is watching… :eyes:

1 Like

Thanks for the post and wonderful pictures, it’s great to hear someone being so positive on this forum.

I’ve been lucky too and have rarely had any issues. I fly a mix, somedays VFR in the C172, other days I take to the skies in the TBM or fly full IRF with SIDS and STARS in the FBW A320.

My GPU is certainly not top of the range but I manage to get between 15 FPS and low 20’s FPS, but that doesn’t ruin it for me.

Happy flying everyone

10 Likes

I love it too, when it works. But as lobg as TrackIR doesn‘t work there is nothing to love for me :smiley: I hope they release their hotfix before the holidays so there is a bit more to love for me too ^^