I'm lovin' it!

Well that giant down there is certainly happy about something . . .

Have you encountered the Fovant Carvings not far from there towards Salisbury?

4 Likes

No I havenā€™t, that will be the next adventure. Iā€™ll let you know if I find them.

Itā€™s the Cerne Abbas Giant, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerne_Abbas_Giant and it took a few fly pasts to find it!

1 Like

2 Likes

The deal with flight sims is that on any given cycle, one sim may be working flawlessly while another that worked last week before itā€™s big update is virtually unplayable. I have 3 sims on my rig right now and MSFS is the one that works best at this time. Xplane was just a disaster, I pretty much gave up on it so I took it off until such time that Laminar gets itā€™s s__t together. 20 years and they still use the same old tired engine to drive the cartoony express that consumes tons of memory and looks only half as good as MSFS on itā€™s best day with payware upgrades.
DCS has had some pretty nasty updates too. All of them have. So far for me, MSFS has been pretty good about those things. I know that it is inevitable that sooner or later I will have some kind of issues with it. When that happens I will just fly something else until it gets straightened out. As frustrating as it is, itā€™s the nature of this kind of software and we just gotta live with it. Itā€™s not apt to change any time soon.
As long as I see promise on the horizon when these bad things happen, I am ok and just wait it all out. In some cases the problems never get addressed and we end up with just frustration and having to live with a product that will never get fixed. This has not been my experience with MSFS thus far. Meanwhile I have 6 and 7 year old modules in DCS that still are only 75% complete. Yeahā€¦Reallyā€¦I do. So MFSF has been superb so far. And even when itā€™s not so great, I know that it will be better down the line. MSFS is the best out there right now. This coming from a guy who is not a Microsoft fan. But you gotta give credit where itā€™s due. This sim has more than gained my trust over this past year.

2 Likes

Iā€™m enjoying it tooā€¦ Some more aircraft that Iā€™m interested in would be nice, but some of those are in the pipeline from a few developers.

In the mean time, this was the other nights flight. Stunning stuff.

3 Likes

Hey, well done. Great arenā€™t they?

Thereā€™s a white horse chalk carving to the north of there. Sort of fly towards Swindon - keeping it NNW of you and then break right about 5 miles DME and look at the ridge of hills pointing Eastwards. Itā€™s hard to spot because itā€™s quite small but very pretty. Celtic I think.

uffair

1 Like

Weird stuff!

1 Like

:laughing:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been following this forum since the start but this thread made me want to create an account and share a positive experience. Iā€™m really enjoying flying in MSFS.

Hardware: i7 4th Gen, GTX 1060 (yes, not great but thatā€™s what the vast majority of gaming PCā€™s have)

In the beginning things we average, the sim looked FANTASTIC but I could only fly over unpopulated areas, could not run the dense landing challenges (Rio, Sidney, Etcā€¦) without a CTD

SU5 (the infamous XBOX patch) turned things around. I could have a locked 30fps everywhere. Yes, I know, it did not look great but solved (for me) the CTD.

SU7 - whowwwā€¦ stable sim, locked 30 fps and great looking sceneryā€¦ on a weak machineā€¦ well done!!

The point Iā€™m trying to make is a saw a lot of complains from the PC users that the game was being dumbed down for console. Well, I benefited tremendously from the XBOX patch and I assume the vast majority of MSFS owners also did since they share the same GPU. Asobo/MS took one step back and two forward in my opinion and it worked.

Just like the OP, ā€œAnd yes: I am neither blind nor terminally dumb: I DO know a lot of people have issues.ā€ before someone says something about the weather.

I have since learned how to use VOR and used it to take a cross country flight. Took off from KLGA, landed KEKA using the DA62 and skyvector to find airports to land on the way. I had a blast!! Not one CTD.

5 Likes

Ha Ha ! Have a Happy Christmas !

I agree. There are people that are going out and spending Ā£900 on a graphics card and wondering why they arenā€™t getting 120fps. My machine cost about that! I get 30+ fps, mostly smooth untroubled flying. Yes there are some bugs etc, but on the PC side most users are using kit thatā€™s at least a couple of years old. Thereā€™s a narrow band at the top who seem to have very high end machines. Which is great, but it has to work on a really wide variety of machines. It needs to be inclusive. Yes there are some glaring bugs. But most of the flying is very good. Or maybe Iā€™m just lucky.

2 Likes

Awesome! There is nowhere to go but up as well and the future is bright for MSFS. We run a similar setup and totally agree it is absolutely gorgeous running on a 4K HDR monitor in particular.

My MSFS Setup is:

Ryzen 9 5950x
64GB DDR4-3200
MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3090
Aorus FI32U 32" 4K HDR 144Hz display

See you in the skies. Cheers

Yes really cant keep away from MSFS especially the Asobo 787

Agree with the OP. I have had my fair share of issues the past year, mostly due to learning the limits of my system and msfs2020 for VR. Now I have it running quite smooth on my mediocre system: i7 with Rtx2080 super and 32 Gb ram.

Key is to lower settings that affect cpu and crank up graphics settings to max load the gpu. Running on almost everything ultra except for LOD. This needs to be lowered for smooth experience. Not a big deal as VR has a much lower resolution. Having fun with the Hawk in VRā€¦

In all my 40 years of Microsoft Flight Simulator, right now itā€™s never had better performance. Remember Asobo could have limited all the graphical options to 50% and weā€™d still have the best looking simulator out there and youā€™d be none the wiser.

You are never going to please everybody, if anything I hope Asobo make performance worst, I.e. allow us to extend the graphical options further for people who have the rig, but the simulator scales very well and is stutter free. Iā€™ve tried this sim on 4 PCā€™s from a modest Sandybridge 2600 GTX 1070 to an i9 9900K RTX 2080 Ti and I can get it running smooth on all of them.

Honestly if you have a stutter itā€™s because youā€™ve introduced some add-on or are pushing the capabilities of MSFS beyond what your PC can deal with but the sim is smooth to fly.

2 Likes

I am also loving the sim. I understand the OP. And it is good to see a positive thread here in the forum beside the constant whining of some.

I am currently flying a world tour with a friend. I already have seen a lot of interesting places. (Trivia: he is using Linux + xPlane, but we managed to link both sims with Swift + xflightserver. So we see each otherā€™s plane in the sim. Works really well)

My rig:
I9-9900k at nearly 5GHz all core
64GB, DDR4 @ 3766 MT/s
MSI GeForce RTX 3090 suprim X (Factory overclocked)
Sim is installed on a 2TB nvme SSD
Display Samsung 49ā€œ 32:9 Ultra wide display @ 5120x1440 - render scale 100%
Sim settings: all ultra + some settings set above ultra in the cfg file.

1 Like

I have one of those ā€œhigh endā€ machines - at least I like to think so - i9 10900K, RTX 3080, 64Gb RAM - and Iā€™m happy to report Iā€™m lovinā€™ it too. As we all acknowledge, there are bugs, but as Iā€™ve said before on this forum, Iā€™d rather be having fun and on the journey while the sim matures and improves than sitting waiting empty handed for 10 years for the perfect sim to turn upā€¦which will of course never be perfect. The current clouds/weather debate in the beta forums is a good example of people demanding an impossible perfection from a Ā£60 entertainment software - Iā€™m leaving them to it.

Iā€™ve been here from launch (not alpha/beta pre launch) and there are few positive posts like these (thanks @SlabsFly ) so it great to hear that others are having as much enjoyment as I am. For a ā€œgameā€ without missions and goals, there is a huge amount to do - my hanger is backed up with planes I want to learn to fly, procedures to learn, IFR, VRF to learn to do properly, bush trips, navigationā€¦

Iā€™ve been around the world sightseeing in the TBM (90,000 Nm)

Iā€™m currently slowly making my way around the world again, this time in the DC-6 via every capital city (although progress is slow as I keep getting distracted by the F-16, or Reno, or the Hawk, or the G1000 NXi or theā€¦)

The sim is performing beautifully for me and I have had few major issues over the last 15 months or so. Maybe Iā€™m fortunate in that regard - but I think there is a lot to be said for mindset - if I encounter a bug or issue, my thoughts are how to work around it, not to thrash about in frustration and stomp off. Itā€™s only a sim at the end of the dayā€¦and yet it does give so much enjoyment.

8 Likes

You place words where none were spoken.

I have a fairly modest computer, fly in VR, and have pretty high graphical options set. It is very well optimised with no crud, bloatware or rogue programs on it.

I do not have stutters at all. In fact Iā€™m delighted with the performance of this game. However as evidenced by so many posts from others here saying the contrary, it seems that there is huge unhappiness out there.

I have long complained about some aspects though. My biggest beef is the ground handling, followed by the flight model. Neither of which replicate any real-world flying I have done.

The graphical side of it is pretty much where I would expect it to be in 2021.

I wasnt sure my 6 year old build was gonna even pretend to run fs2020. I was definitely expecting the land of fs2004 and fsx 18fps in cruise and 7fps on final to a busy airport. I think everyone is used to that from all the years of older sims. I was pleasantly surprized

I5 3.5
asus Z97
samsung 840evo
gtx960
16gb of Gskill 1333mhz ram

no rocketship by 2016 standards back when it was a year old, let alone now, but runs fs2020 perfect with graphics split about halfway between medium and high. only had 1 CTD in 2 months, no lag or framerate issues. Sometimes server ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  the bed and disconnects for a few seconds mid flight, hasnt been too big of a problem yet

Well see how it gets on when UT or somebody comes out with UT caliber AI traffic and fills up the airports and sky with AI planes. Hope Editvoicepack comes out first to fix the obnoxious and slow ATC about that same time. I remember FSX running mytraffic on this same rig would get 10-15fps at a busy airport with 50-60% AI traffic (most fsx atc could handle with minimal 10min timeouts, but nowhere near enough to look realistic), and would drop to 7-10fps with traffic up around 90%. Hoping my rig can squeeze out 20 with alot of AI when it comes

1 Like