I'm so super impressed with MSFS! Ever been curious about what the full potential of graphics looks like? LOD 9.00s No Photogrammetry melt as far as the eye can see

I know, just showing that following the advice in this topic will result in stutters when moving the camera.

Frame rate is locked at 30 and is smooth otherwise.

That’s similar to the age old complaint of frame drops and stutters approaching an airport so it might be worth pulling the settings back a little to see how much it can help.

Thank you :pray:t4:.This is perfect and exactly what I was looking for. My sim behaves strangely considering I have a i910900k 64 GB of ram and an RTX 3090 FE. Trees in Central Park look like mashed cardboard. Have a look.

I remember you said that when you’re at LOD 9 you need the RAM to cover it. How does this now work after SU5? RAM usage is always low, so how can LOD 9 be maintained with such a low RAM usage? Just curious.

Currently testing some things and having my mind blown.

It sort of can’t. FPS drop to single digit if you swing the camera around too fast. FPS go up to normal after like a 10th of second though. And in Dev Mode you can see the RAM usage going up when turning the camera and once you hit over 7GB you get these stutters.
So if you want good pictures you sacrifice the ability to look around quickly. Doesn’t bother me much, since I mostly look straight.

1 Like

But then, let’s look at a straight forward view, not looking around. That used more than 32 GB of RAM before SU5 and now only 7? And what about video RAM?

That view cannot look the same now as it did before SU5?

Same here. I actually have a beefy machine (AMD 5800X + 6900XT + 64GB RAM), but changing the LoD to anything > 2 results into stutters if a look around quickly. But even if a look around “slowly”, it still feels …I don’t know, strange, laggy, just not smooth anymore. Therefore I don’t think that Asobo will just increase the LoD slider without any further optimization.

In this update they have gained a lot of ground in that, the buildings looked very melted, they were sad, and the fps were very low, you could not fly, now it looks much better.
And the fps have gone up a lot, now it flies very well

How do you change it to read only after editing the file?

in explorer right click the file and choose properties, check read only and your done :grinning:

I don’t need to make it read only. If I do not change the LOD in Options the values are not changed.

Ohhhh now I want to see what 9 looks like!:beers:

1 Like

Isn’t that just LOD? Showing a better detail already farer away? If you are close enough it looks the same, doesn’t it?

Right! You can push the LOD and have some better draw range but because the RAM/VRAM usage is limited this will force paging and that can result in stuttering, reduced framerates, popping geometry and this terrible “culling” geometry reloads.

I am really really super impressed!

If they truely do allow the PC to stretch it’s legs that will all get better.

You’re very welcome bro! Happy you are getting great results!!! The pics you shared are amazing! Happy Simming :smiley: The requirements seem to be much less on PC hardware since SU5/Hotfix. Especially when it comes to RAM

1 Like

If you are interested, host it on Youtube and share the link

If you go to the first post in this thread, there are 2 videos demonstrating LOD 9.00

I’m not having that … here’s a full 1280 x 720 screenshot from a GT1030

1 Like