Im still there: Limited by Main Thread

I don’t fully understand this myself, but if you check for posts by Mbucchia you may not actually be main thread limited at all.

In this thread he explains it quite clearly, and very technically, so it’s a bit hard to conceptualise, at least for me.

But basically, looking at your figures. Your GPU ms response time is 33.34. You divide 1000 by that number to get the frames per second your GPU is capable of rendering, which is 30.3.

Your main thread reports a ms response time of 27.4. Again dividing 1000 by 27.4 is 36.49, so your main thread is actually capable of outputting more fps than your GPU.

Your RDR thread is only 7.6 ms, that’s your overall CPU time to render one frame, 1000 divided by 7.6 is 131 fps.

This indicates you are GPU bound not CPU bound.

I’d recommend checking with mbucchia on this as I don’t really understand it, but basically the limited by main thread reports aren’t actually always true. If your CPU is waiting for your GPU to finish its instructions it goes idle but the wait time is still being calculated as part of its response time which makes it look like its the bottleneck whereas in fact it is not.

If anyone else who understand this can chip in, it would be helpful. I’d like to learn more about this myself.

1 Like