Im still there: Limited by Main Thread

Yeah, 9th Gen CPUs aren’t produced anymore which causes them to get expensive again.

That 9600K should be able to reach more than 30 fps though. My 9900KF can reach up to 60 fps with ultra preset and the i5 isn’t that much slower when it comes to single-thread performance.

Agreed he should be doing a bit better, I usually cap to 30FPS but today I went San Diego to San Fransisco without it capped just to see whats what. For load balance I got to ultra plus maxing the filtering and shadows the extra tick and 150 Render Scaling.

I caught the zen moment while going through a pitch black cloud.

All overclocked 3080 and 9900k 3 monitor 5760x1080.

Which after an hour+ flight during landing approach it goes down a bit.

My stutters are even worse with DX12…

I know this is just FS2020 related. “Bad” programming. But it was butter with SU7. And now this situation.

LOD is at 220, CPU is not up to date but just 20% below a i7-12700k (at single core performance)… I think its just the bad programming of FS which makes me angry…

1 Like

No sir, was just the moment of the snippet. Walks around 26-32fps.

Did this already in period of SU8… no efforts so far ut thanks for mentioning it!

The Results are so sad… you know what is killing me… it seems like the private pilot has to adjust himself to the simulator, not otherwise… and this is making me so f**** angry…

LOD is too high for your old CPU. Reduce it until you are just GPU limited.

2 Likes

I didn’t even see that, yes both my LOD do not move from 200.

FS2020 like any other Game (which is Linear Processing) is Limited By Main Thread.

Cannot be changed.

Just a suggestion, as an experiment:

drop both LOD’s to 50 (Terrain and Object).

Reduce all the Traffic sliders to very low settings.

Pick a small, simple GA plane (no glass cockpit) and a small, simple airport too.

Clear weather. No clouds.

I’m probably missing some stuff, but you get the idea… un-burden the CPU a whole lot. Just an experiment, easy to undo and get back to where you were.

When running in this minimal state, if you still don’t see the results you’re looking for, un-burden some more by turning off live traffic, multiplayer, etc. In other words, continue to decrease the load on your CPU and re-test.

Hopefully, you’ll see what settings are hitting your CPU the hardest.

1 Like

Nice way to check the CPU load, yes, thank you! But I know times after SU7 where everthing was maxed out in settings and even around New York etc. I had a very nice performance level. And it went bad again with the new updates… It´s a pitty…

3 Likes

NYC has become an odd benchmark for me, very optimized and love it, on the flip side there’s an area of SW London that is just trash.

Edit: Southwest, a bit west and south of the big wheel

I agree and have used it for months now,

I don’t fully understand this myself, but if you check for posts by Mbucchia you may not actually be main thread limited at all.

In this thread he explains it quite clearly, and very technically, so it’s a bit hard to conceptualise, at least for me.

But basically, looking at your figures. Your GPU ms response time is 33.34. You divide 1000 by that number to get the frames per second your GPU is capable of rendering, which is 30.3.

Your main thread reports a ms response time of 27.4. Again dividing 1000 by 27.4 is 36.49, so your main thread is actually capable of outputting more fps than your GPU.

Your RDR thread is only 7.6 ms, that’s your overall CPU time to render one frame, 1000 divided by 7.6 is 131 fps.

This indicates you are GPU bound not CPU bound.

I’d recommend checking with mbucchia on this as I don’t really understand it, but basically the limited by main thread reports aren’t actually always true. If your CPU is waiting for your GPU to finish its instructions it goes idle but the wait time is still being calculated as part of its response time which makes it look like its the bottleneck whereas in fact it is not.

If anyone else who understand this can chip in, it would be helpful. I’d like to learn more about this myself.

1 Like

Well it is much easier to find out if you’re CPU bound anyways. Just look at the GPU usage (not with Task Manager though, it sometimes shows false values). If the GPU is below 90% usage you are CPU-limited.

1 Like

I’ve never actually looked at my Task Manager whilst runing the game. I will test that out. Will this apply even to capped performance? I find the sim runs much smoother with an fps limit of 32 for example so I wouldn’t expect my GPU to be maxed out.

RTX 3080 and i5 12600KF here, also limited by main thread, total cpu use is around 25% and gpu around 45-50%. In task manager it does not show a single thread at 100% use.

By definition, limited by mainthread would be a core at or near 100%. In task manager, the mainthread will be the thread with the highest load. It’s also common to have it go back and forth between limited by mainthread and GPU.

Perhaps a picture of task manager would help.