Image stutter in cockpit view since SU6

Hi all,

After I changed my graphics card from Nvidia 1070TI to AMD 6800XT, I extensively tested the graphics settings and performance. During this, I too noticed the stuttering when looking around the cockpit, only on the ground, especially in densely populated areas and complex airports. Regardless of most graphics settings High/Ultra and regardless of the aircraft type (Cessna - FBW A32NX).
Especially interesting, as SubtotalGuide81 has already written, depending on the time of day the hangs occur at different positions, seemingly always on the opposite side from the sun. But then always at the same position when turning the view around.

I tested in Lisbon. Ryzen 5800XT, 32GB RAM, 6800XT, SAM On/OFF,
CPU-Load about 30/40% GPU 60-70%, Frames 30/sec, Developer Mode:
GPU limeted
Decreasing the terrain LOD to well below 100 helps somewhat, above 100 it hangs noticeably at the ever same view direction. All other graphics options do not change anything to that problem.
Disabling Photogrammetry helps somewhat with overall smoothness, but doesn’t change the problem either.

I have now found after some searching that the Off Screen Terrain Pre-Caching setting has a significant effect. As soon as I reduce it from Ultra/High to Medium, the stuttering nearly disappears. Im now able to raise the Terrain LOD up to 200 without the stuttering when panning around.

Can anyone confirm this? Looks like the opposite direction from the sun actually matters.
But I’m not sure if it was the same with nvidia and I only noticed it now, or if it’s more noticeable with AMD and what it could be. CPU/Memory Speed?

3 Likes