Improve AI Traffic at Airports and in The Air

You will not be able to implement every special paintwork of an airline 100%. But if you have the liveries and the ICAO codes are set (this is not the case with all liveries), at least the right airline should land.

And you just need models for the AI aircraft so that the right aircraft is there. Liveries would of course be required for the models.

In addition, it is currently difficult to check because there is not much traffic at the airports and the live traffic is about 0.5 hours late.

Question to Asobo: Is it possible to store several ICAO codes in one livery?

1 Like

How does this supposed to work when airlines like Republican (ICAO code RPA) operate under different brands and liveries (United Express, Delta Connection, American Eagle and not to forget even their own Republic livery at times)?
I mean, sure - you could go ahead and have the (I believe) rather rare Republic livery for all “Brickyard” flights but this way you would never encounter e. g. a “Delta Connection” livery. After all this would be okay I guess but still.

I think it would be enough (at least for me) if a Lufthansa is really a Lufthansa and an EasyJet is an EasyJet.

For the other aircraft, you would need models and corresponding liveries.

My EasyJet Neo Skin does not work at some point. I changed “icao_airline” to EZS in Aircraft.cgf. Nevertheless, it shows Asobo’s fantasy skin with. Anyone with an idea why it works at Lufthansa?

Have you tried having three folders with all three EasyJet codes to see if it makes any difference?

No, only tried the EZS Code. Here´s the difference to Lufthansa

■■■■! I never wanted to do mods again :joy:

I have had success in getting flightaware flights to appear with the correct livery and type.
I’ve been making an effort to explain how this is done to livery makers and people making airliners (currently that’s just Canadian mods with their conversions). Since I’ve shared this comment I’ve noticed a few in the livery packs with the proper fields populated.

The part that Asobo can’t do without licensing agreements with all of these airlines is actually produce the liveries, but that part is already well covered by the community. (They do already include a generic UAL livery which appears for a UAL flight without a known aircraft.)

If Asobo would just not have broken texture mirroring on the 747, we have great livery support already from the community. And the Canadian Mods A321 and hopefully soon 737 and A330 will too.

The key is to include icao_xxx fields in aircraft.cfg. I added these to the A321:
icao_type_designator = “A321”
icao_manufacturer = “AIRBUS”
icao_model = “A-321”
icao_engine_type = “Jet”
icao_engine_count = 2
icao_WTC = “M”

I also cloned the A321 folder and created a fake A320. Real A320 flights appear with A321 models and livery. I would have preferred to fake the A320 as the A20N (most A320s have retrofitted sharklets so I think it’s closer, and there’s more liveries out) but I couldn’t make a cloned Asobo A20N work in this way.

Then, I populated icao_airline on the [FLTSIM.x] section, as well as atc_parking_codes for future use. ASOBO: Please implement atc_parking_codes into gates so that we could edit the gates, e.g. KORD - B and C UAL, H and K AAL… KMDW A and B SWA. A comma separated list should be possible on both gates and liveries, like EZY and EZS.

If your nearby flightaware flight has a matching icao type and airline code to a plane/livery installed, then bingo, that is the livery you’ll see. I haven’t determined yet but I think if there are multiple liveries like the FFT liveries, one of all the matching liveries will be chosen at random.

So far it does not appear you can put multiple airlines on icao_airline on a livery in a comma separated list. I tried making the Asobo Generic UAL livery appear for United’s many codeshare partners flying to ORD like RPA, AWI, GJS, ASH. (Likely someone operating at DFW would assign these airline codes to AAL livery instead.) I could only make it work by copying FLTSIM.x for each code with same texture.

To the poster above I would suggest incrementing FLTSIM.x 3 times and copying the same section with the 3 EasyJet airline codes.

By the way: if possible, don’t buy third party aircraft in the marketplace as you can’t edit aircraft.cfg on them.

1 Like

Try´d to implement THIS easyJet Livery to Live Traffic. I can use the Livery to fly, see it at the Airports, but live it doesn´t work. Only see the fantasy livery. It doesn´t matter if I try EZS, EZY, EJU or U2.

I´ll try this aircraft.cfg in the evening

"[VERSION]
major = 1
minor = 0

[VARIATION]
base_container = "…\Asobo_A320_NEO"

;===================== FLTSIM =====================

[FLTSIM.0]
title = “easyJet UK” ; Variation name
model = “” ; model folder
panel = “” ; panel folder
sound = “” ; sound folder
texture = “easyjetUK” ; texture folder
kb_checklists = “” ; Procedures/Checklist sibling file name
kb_reference = “Boeing747-400_ref” ; Reference information sibling file name
description = “TT:AIRCRAFT.DESCRIPTION” ; Variation description.
wip_indicator = 2 ; know if the variation is good to go or still WIP : -1=Disabled, 0=Rough, 1=1st Pass, 2=Finished
ui_manufacturer = “TT:AIRCRAFT.UI_MANUFACTURER” ; e.g. Boeing, Cessna
ui_type = “A320neo easyJet UK” ; e.g. 747-400, 172
ui_variation = “easyJet UK” ; e.g. World Air, IFR Panel
ui_typerole = “Commercial Airliner” ; e.g. Single Engine Prop, Twin Engine Prop, Rotorcraft, etc
ui_createdby = “OperatorLand468” ; e.g. Asobo Studio, Microsoft, FSAddonCompany, etc
ui_thumbnailfile = “” ; app relative path to ThumbNail image file
ui_certified_ceiling = 39800 ; service ceiling / max certified operating altitude (ft)
ui_max_range = 3500 ; max distance the aircraft can fly between take-off and landing in (NM)
ui_autonomy = 7 ; max duration the aircraft can fly between take-off and landing in (Hrs)
ui_fuel_burn_rate = 5300 ; average fuel consumption per hour (lbs/hr) - reminder: fuel density is ~6.7lbs per US gallon
atc_id_color = “00000000” ; color for the tail number : i.e. "#ffff00ff"
atc_id_font = “arial” ; font for the tail number
atc_id = " ‎‎" ; tail number
atc_id_enable = 0 ; enable tail number
atc_airline = “easyJet UK” ; airline name
atc_flight_number = “441” ; flight number
atc_heavy = 0 ; heavy?
atc_parking_types = “GATE,RAMP,CARGO” ; “ANY” / “RAMP” / “CARGO” / “MIL_CARGO” / “MIL_COMBAT” / “GATE” / "DOCK"
atc_parking_codes = “” ; Comma separated and may be as small as one character each
icao_airline = "EZY"
isAirTraffic = 1 ; Is the plane usable for air traffic
isUserSelectable = 1 ; Is the plane selectable by the user

[FLTSIM.1]
title = “easyJet Switzerland” ; Variation name
wip_indicator = 2 ; know if the variation is good to go or still WIP : -1=Disabled, 0=Rough, 1=1st Pass, 2=Finished
ui_type = “A320neo easyJet Switzerland” ; e.g. 747-400, 172
ui_variation = “easyJet Switzerland” ; e.g. World Air, IFR Panel
ui_typerole = “Commercial Airliner” ; e.g. Single Engine Prop, Twin Engine Prop, Rotorcraft, etc
ui_createdby = “OperatorLand468” ; e.g. Asobo Studio, Microsoft, FSAddonCompany, etc
ui_certified_ceiling = 39800 ; service ceiling / max certified operating altitude (ft)
ui_max_range = 3500 ; max distance the aircraft can fly between take-off and landing in (NM)
ui_autonomy = 7 ; max duration the aircraft can fly between take-off and landing in (Hrs)
ui_fuel_burn_rate = 5300 ; average fuel consumption per hour (lbs/hr) - reminder: fuel density is ~6.7lbs per US gallon
atc_airline = “easyJet Switzerland” ; airline name
atc_heavy = 0 ; heavy?
atc_parking_types = “GATE,RAMP,CARGO” ; “ANY” / “RAMP” / “CARGO” / “MIL_CARGO” / “MIL_COMBAT” / “GATE” / "DOCK"
atc_parking_codes = “” ; Comma separated and may be as small as one character each
icao_airline = "EZS"
**isUserSelectable = 1 ; Is the plane selectable by the user **

[FLTSIM.2]
title = “easyJet Europe” ; Variation name
ui_type = “A320neo easyJet Europe” ; e.g. 747-400, 172
ui_variation = “easyJet Europe” ; e.g. World Air, IFR Panel
atc_airline = “easyJet Europe” ; airline name
atc_heavy = 0 ; heavy?
icao_airline = "EJU"
isUserSelectable = 1 ; Is the plane selectable by the user

[FLTSIM.3]
title = “easyJet UK” ; Variation name
model = “easyjetUK” ; model folder
ui_type = “A320neo easyJet UK” ; e.g. 747-400, 172
ui_variation = “easyJet UK” ; e.g. World Air, IFR Panel
atc_id = " " ; tail number
atc_airline = “British Airways” ; airline name
atc_flight_number = “” ; flight number
atc_heavy = 0 ; heavy?
icao_airline = "EZY"
isUserSelectable = 1 ; Is the plane selectable by the user"

This is the folder actually

[EDIT]: Didn´t work. Don´t know why :disappointed_relieved:

The live traffic has to actually be a A32N in flightaware or it won’t match up to A32N liveries. I have noticed some NKS flights appear on the map of “all flying A32N” but the individual records say A320 and that causes them to map to A320 (ceo) in MSFS.

I always make sure that Flightradar24 has an A320. It works at Lufthansa too. Not with the EasyJet.

Another problem with the AI planes is that they often disappear shortly after landing. This destroys the immersion completely.

1 Like

After a lot of experimenting it’s very clear that there are some really big improvements that need to be made. First off Live Traffic itself is a big disappointment currently because I think there are just too many variables to justify consistent performance ex: Connectivity, and in game ATC just can’t possibly handle so many flights at busy airports. Transponders turning on and off etc. What you see on Flightaware and in the game are not even close in terms of traffic volume with the game lagging way behind because it can handle just so much however at times there can be better volume depending where you fly from and the time of day. On the other hand Offline AI traffic is non existent!. The default traffic BGL has lots of flaws that I saw after de compiling and I don’t think the sim can even begin to read the file at this point. Trying to create my own traffic BGLS helps but in a very limited way. I can get planes to depart but return flights hardly ever land. I think that is due to the limitations of the in game ATC not being able to provide separation and clear multiple arriving flights. And it times the sim ATC just quits all together leaving planes frozen where they are. If we want more traffic in the air than I think the ATC must be improved to handle the volume and the way the game reads air traffic BGLS needs big improvement. It’s still way early in development, but having realistic or at least closer to realistic AI traffic volumes is a must! There are so many other great things the sim has to offer AI traffic is currently not one of them

2 Likes

Most of the time I turn off all traffic, AI and Real, because often there are so many flights on frequency that it is difficult time-wise to transmit. Whenever someone else is transmitting, ATC responses are grayed out. As soon as someone is finished, I mash #1 hoping to transmit first. And it is VERY annoying trying to change frequencies but I can’t because the number is grayed out until someone stops talking.

The issue may not be the “limited” capacity of ATC because large airports have multiple frequencies to manage workload, but rather each person’s ability to fly correctly in heavy traffic. And flying VFR in heavy traffic areas is crazy when ATC is issuing traffic advisories two or three at a time.

This topic is really about improving the amount of air traffic at airports and in the air I included the mention of atc improvement as a way to get more live and offline ai to be seen. The game has so much to load and implement as it is. I think there needs to be a standalone program of atc running outside of the game IMO that could interact with high volumes of ai along a particular flightplan or an open flight. Even if it could manage 70% of busy ai traffic routes is exponentially better than what we have now. The game needs to read ai traffic bgls correctly in the first place for offline AI. I see that as bug and I think that’s being worked on? The current synch between Live traffic shown in the sim and wherever the data is coming from is way off and very inconsistent. Just some improvement there of the signal and game reception would greatly improve the amount of Live traffic seen. This is what we want, Dead looking airports doesn’t cut it in a sim that’s so much better. I bet they make a lot of progress soon. I hope so! I enjoy a lot of things out of this sim.

The traffic in America is, in my opinion, much more pronounced than in Europe.

Unfortunately it is as you say. The game just looks super real, but these fantasy planes make it a “game” again

Actually I feel that’s there’s way more air traffic over in Europe. The whole point is that we want to see more air traffic realism in the game. Right now the severe lack of it really kills it

3 Likes

Most I´m playing in the evening. Maybe that´s the reason. But the unreal fantasy textures of an easyJet or another plane is the most important problem for me.

hello are you able to put the aircraft tail number in cause i know flightware knows the tail number for airlines like fft

I have both my AI settings and my graphics settings very high and I don’t notice this. Maybe that’s a symptom of using a lower setting.

I agree with everything said here,
Can I add:

I think the AI should be more like FSX which used as same aircraft that were flyable (for the most part)
Get rid of the fake A330 and fake A380, replace them with the real deal
At the bare minimum with liveries bring back the OG MFS airlines (Orbit Airlines, pacifica, World Travel Airlines)
When flying or moving on the ground have the ability to show their callsign and details above (Although this should have an option to turn off for people who don’t like that)
If the ability to add real airlines to AI aircraft comes to fruition, they should have the ability to be Geolocked, so a Easyjet A320 doesn’t appear in america for example

Amen! Great post! Echoes my sentiments precisely! All I could think when reading this is , “Boy, now that sounds like someone who cares!” My motto has been, (since MSFS 5.1) that pro devs should NEVER deny the armatures a chance to use their own innovative skills in creating scenery, aircraft, utilities, etc. Never know who gets inspired enough to go the “extra mile”, and becomes the next PMDG or ORBX !!
Absolutely great post man!

Vic

1 Like