Improve the world map

Meanwhile use Little Navmap :smirk:

2 Likes

Cool to have feature, so we don’t have to swap between google earth and sim all the time to know where we are. We don’t wanna fly accidentally into North Korea, right? My geographical knowledge isn’t bad but far from perfect. Also, since Navaids can already be displayed it would be nice to see the frequencies when clicking on them to plan a VOR/NDB trip on the map.

I am not so sure that country names will work. Some areas of the world are so dense with different countries that it may really mess up the map’s view. I could see that if you right clicked it would tell you the name of the country? Just a suggestion. The Caribbean is an example of country congestion.

But, I do like the idea of having borders! Voted.

i can see it now:

“Why can’t i find Moldova? It’s supposed to be right between Romania and Ukraine?!”
"Well…uh…maybe you shouldn’t be looking in the south pacific for a landlocked nation-state in Europe

2 Likes

Also you need to take into consideration border disputes, I doubt MS want any of that baggage.

1 Like

I think they have the data via bing maps? I know Google earth is very strict on showing all options that are considered correct by each party. I’d think Bing has done the same, with the same level of detail.

1 Like

Related: Zooming down on the World Map and losing any and all landscape features is so frustrating and makes no sense.

The World Map and VFR Map are not at all on par with the historic achievement that is MSFS2020 and seem an afterthought.

Not being able to read the names on any Nav points until you zoom way down makes it so difficult to create a plan without any ground references.

Said it before; but; we are basically flying in a BING WORLD but have no BING maps in MSFS. That makes NO sense at all. Using BING search, filters and directions, we should be able find and locate anything with ease.

2 Likes

The detail level in the load globe is too simple, no roads or poi’s to help better find the area you are looking for. Detail should be closer to Google Earth, Its very hard to find anything on the map.

1 Like

This is a pretty good tool for the level of detail you are looking for.

3 Likes

Thanks, it’s a great map

I totally agree with this request. Since day 1 I was surprised by the lack of almost any kind of information on this map, that should help you to decide where to position your aircraft, not necessarily on a runway but on a generic point and maybe with a given heading.
I’m aware that loading a more detailed map could involve some little delay, but you could use filters for excluding level of information that you don’t need.
On the other hand, when you want to position your plane on a specific point and you need these information, you should be allowed to see them even if this will cost you some seconds of wait.
Also the VFR map seems so poor to me. On FSX I could find the navaids with frequency, name, ICAO of the airport, and clicking on a runway I obtained ILS informations, lenght of the runway, heading…
I miss that!

3 Likes

To add in, when loading at a point selected on the map, give the option of various altitudes instead of just 164’ or whatever it is…if I selected the center of a densely popuplated city like chicago, 164’ might be a bit of an issue with buildings all around the spawn location. Maybe ground altitude + next even 1000’ and every 1000’ afterwards? So, 80ft MSL at ground level, then options would be 180’, 1000’, 2000’, 3000’ etc…, 4250’ MSL at ground level, 4350’, 5000’, 6000’, 7000’ etc…

1 Like

The world map is really useless.
It would be sufficient if the satellite map was with the normal Bing Maps resolution.
At the airfields and airports (normal view) it would also be good if one could also see the taxiways, aprons and co.
By the way, the VFR card is not improving either.

1 Like

The built-in flight planner was the main disappointment in the first days. I launched the simulator, went directly to the flight planner, zoomed in and then looked at my display silently for a minute. What? That’s it? A blur?

Luckily LittleNaviMap was updated to support MSFS2020 and I have a few printed VFR charts. I do the planning in LNM, print out the flight plan, use my actual printed charts to plot the route, and use that for navigation.

But out of the box - useless, especially for VFR planning.

And one more request: include more weather information on the global map for the live weather users! I do get that the priority was given to a good and smooth global weather model instead of recreating the live METAR from the limited number of stations with it half-hourly-only update cycle.
But why only include the winds at the aerodromes on the map? Why not directly a pseudo-METAR for the airfields derived from the weather model, including altimeter setting and cloud base? Why not a filter to indicate properly where simulated VFR-flying is possible? That would really be a great help! Please vote!

It not possible to plan a flight, mainly VFR flights, without detailed wether knowlige. Also for the route.

The world map also includes airports that are closed. There should be away to identify those on the map OR even better an option to filter them out.

1 Like

Really embarrassing, that a sim based on Bing map data has such a ridiculous world map lacking all relevant data…

1 Like

Just use Bing maps satellite view as the default world map base, with sim overlays for runway and parking areas, frequencies, control areas and the weather depiction layer if turned on.

Other map bases could be NavBlue map data, showing generated airports, navaids, waypoints, routes etc.

It’s unbelievable that they don’t. I mean if you want to take off from a country to explore it that you may not know exactly where it is on the globe then good luck finding it on this map. Who’d create a map of the world with thousands of airports and no country names. It’s laughable…

1 Like