Incorrect modeling in A320 cockpit

And right in front of your face, too!

I’ve been hoping to see a fix for this from FBW, but I’d think Asobo would want to address this in the underlying default aircraft too.

That looks like a lens distortion to me, not a model issue.

EDIT: Oh, I see. Your third picture is a real cockpit. That confused me

Absolutely not, I have no idea how you’d come to that conclusion. Load in the 320 and look for yourself. Lens distortion isn’t going to put an even and straight modeling edge at a consistent angle.

3 Likes

Sometimes ignorance is bliss… I would never have noticed this until you point it out in this topic with a comparison between the two cockpit photos. And I actually have to squint my eyes and zoom in to actually realise the angle is different. On normal operations, I would never have noticed this.

But eh… it’s not a big deal. Just report it to Zendesk as a bug, and let them work on it. In the mean time, I don’t think this is a big deal. Just a few different angle. That doesn’t really affect your flying.

Or you can also report to the Github page as a feature enhancement for the A32NX mod. They won’t know it’s an issue unless someone points them out first.

I filed it as an issue on Zendesk 7 months ago, right after release. It seems that they don’t really take on things like this unless there is community demand – look at their regular community updates where the list the bugs and whatnot by number of votes on the forum.

I agree that this is a big deal. If you’re used to flying any other airbus sim, this is glaringly obvious the entire time you’re in the cockpit and makes it feel “fake.” Not to mention, the top of the glareshield is rounded rather than flat across the top. I’m really confused how this was incorrectly modeled given the abundance of references but I hope it is fixed.

5 Likes

Okay, then raise it as an ehancement request to the A32NX mod in their Github page, much more likely to be picked up by them since they have active pilots and engineers involved in the project. It could be faster to approve them and get someone to modify the 3D models.

Devs probably not going to revisit this again anymore, so don’t hold your breath on them. FBW team is the go to people that can fix this. They have better chance to do so.

Well, MSFS is my first sim since I flew FSX 15 years ago. And back then, I only flew the 737. I only started to fly the Airbus here in MSFS. So I literally don’t remember anything about the Airbus cockpit. Guess that’s an advantage for me, I don’t even know what it suppose to look like, so I just take what’s been given. And it’s a sim, it’s still technically fake anyway.

That being said, if this bothers you so much, raise this with the FBW/A32NX team, get some traction on this with them and if they agree that this is also a big of a deal, then they would work on it. But if it were me, this is something that is at the bottom of priority. There are much more important features to add and issues to fix like the Autopilot, flybywire systems, proper symbols on the displays, etc etc. glareshield angle feels like something of a “nice to have”. At least, that’s how it feels to me.

this definitely shows how obvious it is from the seat when flying

5 Likes

My default seating position is much less noticable since it doesn’t crop the PFD.

Extremely noticeable to me even at your angle, and regardless it is still wrong.

I don’t even know what it suppose to look like, so I just take what’s been given

Seems to me given this statement that it’s a little strange how hard you’re pushing back on this. This should stick out like a sore thumb to anyone who has sat in an Airbus cockpit, or used any other high fidelity Airbus add-ons for the other sims like FSLabs – hell, even the crummy JAR Designs Airbuses for X-Plane don’t even get this wrong.

2 Likes

But each people are different. We all have different personalities, different ways of seeing issues and different ways of expressing discomfort. Just because it sticks out like a sore thumb to you, doesn’t mean another person would feel exactly the same way. They may, but they may not too. Everyone is different.

I just looked up the Issues list in the A32NX github page using the keyword “glareshield” for you and I’m not seeing anything that’s similar to the one you posted here. So why don’t you report the same thing. Include these photos and gain some visibility there. Like I said, it may stick out like a sore thumb to you, but all the other real life pilots and engineers involved there might either be not noticing it, or they’re okay with it for now. The only thing you can do is to “remind” them that this is incorrect and needs fixing.

At least, raise this in the Discord page if you don’t want to do all the hassle of raising as an issue. At least you can get some advice and feedbacks directly by everyone involved there.

You can’t be frustrated why they’re not noticing this or fixing this if they’re not even aware. So since you’re the one aware about this, make them aware about the issue as well. venting about it here won’t you anywhere.

1 Like

Why are you pushing back on this so hard? If this isn’t an issue for you, why not just go on with your day?

If something is wrong, it should be fixed. I don’t know why this would be controversial. I never said Asobo should drop everything and fix it right now, and I also don’t understand why you’d want to push this off on to FBW to fix. I’ve brought it up in their Discord, and I know at the time that they were aware of and planning to adjust it when they “got access” to the model, but they’re not the originators of the model and you would think the originators would also want it to be accurate as well.

You are coming across like you actively want to discourage this being addressed.

3 Likes

As an ex-A320 pilot I’ve noticed this right away and it has been reported already during initial testing.

I don’t know how this can happen since I’ve seen videos where Asobo uses a laser to measure the cockpits.

Btw. If you are flying the DR400 IRL, the wrong incidence angle of the wingtip is also a bit of an immersion killer.

7 Likes

I’m just helping you being practical and realistic thinking, that’s all. I’m actually agreeing with you, that this is an issue that it needs to be fixed. But I’ve been around long enough, that there’s a lot of things that I want that will never become a reality. So all I’m saying is, to just do what we can within our power to do so, after that, there’s really nothing else we can do. So getting upset over it won’t help you, nor anyone. If this gets fixed soon, great. If it doesn’t, then we have to live with it.

1 Like

Thank you! Please vote the thread up!

sigh some of the people in this thread make me lose faith in the community. upvoted the thread, hope asobo sees this and fixes it.

3 Likes

Don’t expect Asobo to fix it. I mean they still haven’t fixed the texturing mirroring issue for the 747 and 787…

The best hope is either wait for Aerosoft or FSLabs to bring their own a32X to MSFS, or hope that somehow the FBW team decides to make a new cockpit model.

2 Likes

I noticed this is the video previews before release, it is really weird, why bother making a curved cockpit when the real one is straight.

There is another thread which mentions the autopilot panel being way too far also :

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/a320-neo-proportion-error-in-the-3d-cockpit-model/348461

Like he mentions, in VR these modeling quirks are especially noticeable, also in VR the size of the cockpit is COMPLETELY huge compared to the real cockpit. It feels like you’re a toddler. The only fix, granted that you have an average or low IPD, is too crank the headset IPD to maximum so the scene feels smaller.

To sum up some of the modeling issues :

• Cockpit should be smaller (by about 20%)

• Autopilot FCU Panel + Attention Getter Panel should be nearer to the pilot

• Attention Getter Panel should be straight

• Dashboard should be straight

5 Likes

Coming back to this for it’s semi-annual bump…

4 Likes

I agree the modelling is quite out as a current A320 operator. The A32NX FBW team also agree, but until they can completely remodel the cockpit it is something that I don’t think Asobo will bother to fix. They have bigger priorities elsewhere.

3 Likes