Incredible slow (initial) startup

Since this afternoon, starting MSFS takes incredibly long (close to 15mins). This is running on a M.2 SSD. I have tried emptying the community folder, starting in safe mode… nothing seems to help. Once in the game, it’s pretty normal.

Any idea what could cause this?

2 Likes

Things I tried so far:

• starting in safe mode
  • cleaning community folder
  • trying wifi instead of lan (250mbps)
  • starting the game as admin
  • re-login xbox app

Really at a loss here :frowning:

I don’t have it take that long, but the initial load definitely takes considerably longer than it did before this new update.

Well just to add another experience to the thread, I found load times way faster than before the update.

I have at times had issues on loading that for whatever reason went away after half a dozen boots.

On which phase of the startup process does it hang the most?

Seems to be at the last 20% or so

1 Like

How full are your drives? Are they optimised? Do you have a page file on the same drive as your packages?
Have you updated your marketplace mods in content manager? Did you leave the beta preview? and have you checked the store for updates?
What about the rolling cache? does it show the right address?

50% full, both C: and G: (where FS is installed). Page file = on the same drive as Windows. FS is installed on a separate SSD. All mods are updated. I did not participate in the beta. No updates in the store from what I can tell. Rolling cache is on the same drive as my windows-installation. Tried different drive, no difference.

Then I’m not sure but if you have recently migrated to another PC or reinstalled Windows from an iso you should check your MS account for superfluous devices.

Do you have a page file on the same drive as MSFS is installed? Might be worth a try.

Nope, it’s on my C: drive

I reckon you should have one anywhere except where your MSFS packages are but not on a slow mechanical drive. My 10GB fixed size VM now sits on my NVme C: drive with all others disabled.

1 Like

Yes, you said you have a swap file on C: I’m suggesting adding another in the drive that has MSFS.

Still, it was never this slow before. So "something’ causes the slowdown. It seems the sim is apparently doing nothing for about 5 mins (no hdd activiteit, no network activity), it just sits there waiting for over 5mins and then proceeds.

I would consider a re-install but don’t know if there’s a way to make a backup of all the downloaded content (gigs of space). Is that possible?

What if you disconnect from the internet while you reach that stage, does it go further quicker?

That makes no sense because the last thing you want is to restrict your bandwith by accessing simultanious data streams from the same drive.

Agreed with OP. Much slower loading than S10.

These Sim Updates have become more of a burden than improvement for me. Each and every time there are far too many bugs and steps backwards. I wish we had the ability to stay on a previous version.

Run SFC scannow and repair because what you describe sounds like possible data corruption.

Going to try that. Booting without LAN did nothing. When the loading stalls, it seems the MSFS is just stuck. Shows “not responding” in task manager too. It eventually boots up, but takes way too long.

Try without addons you will likely find it starts up just as fast as before.