Inibuilds P-40F

If you’re looking for a more true to life experience go with BR. I have both and fly the BR by default. I Fly the F for the different look and the different cockpit. The visuals on the F are great but it needs some polish on flight dynamics. It has a better engine but I can’t get the same top speed as the B even in a dive

1 Like

Do you have the latest update for the P-40F? They’ve released at least 3 since initial release.

Have you checked the published performance for both planes against each other? The P-40F and B were pretty close in performance, the issue being, even though the engine was more powerful in the F, it got a lot heavier, too. Hence the development of the N version which took a lot of weight out (reduced it to 4X .050 cal guns, stuff like that). I believe altitude matters as well, with the F peforming better at a different altitude than the B. There were some more upgrades planned by Curtiss, but, the USAAF had so many other options available, they never pursued them.

I have the data sheets for all variants as the P-40 is my favorite prop plane.
I downloaded it yesterday and double checked that it was up to date
It feels lighter in flight than the b
I have been checking them against each other at the same altitudes and with the same conditions.
As I said it may need an adjustment but I do like the plane if you make an N I’ll get that too🙂

1 Like

Who? Me? I wish I could model for MSFS. Every time I’ve tried, it’s just way too hard for me. And I’ve been using solid modeling tools since 1988 continuously. Not to mention I just don’t have the time.

You asked some performance questions, so I was just asking some questions to clarify what you were asking.

As I noted, given the different engines, I’m pretty sure most measured max performance data between the two planes was measured at different altitudes. But I think it’s published so you could find it.

Sounds good

1 Like

For speed and climb rate I think the inibuilds F may have a propeller pitch problem. On the BR B I can go full throttle parking brake on and it will pitch over and land inverted in the same spot. On the F it just sits there. With more power and torque this shouldn’t happen. The F was only 3’ longer but did weigh in 1200 lbs more but I still think something is off given the published data sheets on the original aircraft

1 Like

What’s peoples thoughts on this vs flying iron spitfire?

The Spit In its current state, is one of the best warbirds you can get. It Flys really nice and feels great in VR. Sounds are excellent. Very polished airplane. I have the P-40F and like it for historical reasons. It flys OK. Feels under powered as it kinda was. But still fun to fly. Takeoff in it sucks though. It’s squarely.

Personally, I don’t think they are in the same league. The Spitfire is easily one of the best aircraft currently in the sim. Of course, Flying Iron have had longer to finesse the Spitfire. But currently, I don’t think there is one area where the P-40 is ahead of the Spitfire. It looks great, it sounds ok but it’s systems and flight model are not really comparable to the Spitfire currently. Hopefully it’ll receive updates that do improve it further because I do love the aeroplane itself.

3 Likes

The visual modeling on the P-40F is AWESOME I personally feel it is a work in progress but for where it’s at at this point I have 0 regrets buying the plane

2 Likes

I should also mention I own the Big Radials P-40B and they fly very differently and the cockpit is very different. In my opinion look at the P-40F as a plane that has been restored and is flown for air show demonstration. I have flown the Spitfire once at my buddies house and it was good. So think of the Spitfire and the P-40B as historic aircraft from the period and have that type of fidelity, the F again a warbird someone or a museum would do an air demonstration with. The cockpit is beautiful the outside is beautiful the small spits of flame from the manifold is awesome! There is a lot of detail in the F that is so cool. It comes down to what you’re looking for. I hope this helps

I like the P-40F. It’s fairly easy to fly compared to the Flying Iron Spitfire (sometimes I want that), it’s got fantastic sounds and it is beautifully modelled. The sound is especially impressive. If you go outside the aircraft in flight, and move around to the front, you get that low rumble that you would hear if a real P-40F were coming at you. It was that rumble that left me with such an impression when I saw WWII fighters at my local air show as a kid. That’s the sound this aeroplane has. Awesome! For the price you pay for this, it’s a good buy. It’s not really on the same level as the Spitfire, but at the price, I don’t think it’s trying to be.

2 Likes

Morning Guys,
V1.0.5 has been released on Marketplace, be sure to go to content manager and download the update.

• Fixed fuel pump not working in some instances
5 Likes

Depending on what you mean I seem to remember there were many changes from the B to the F in the cockpit department. I think the P-40 training document released for the F and beyond discusses the differences.

1 Like

I think the bottom line, ultimately, is that both P-40s are fine, quality products… they’re just different.

1 Like

Yes 100% I was meaning that the lighting and the and the MFD make it feel that way is all. From what I notice all gauges are correct and in the appropriate locations

1 Like

100% agree! Again I am a hardcore P-40 fanatic and I am not disappointed in the F! Here is some insight to my fanboyism. This is an actual flaps and landing gear gauge from an actual P-40 B that sits on my side table cause you know nerdness!!!:nerd_face:

9 Likes

Hi Ells,

Great aircraft, love it!

Are you aware of how the model looks in multiplayer?

Myself and others are seeing each other’s P40 model without any engine covers and a dreadful LOD that kicks in early on a relatively short distance and looks like a badly shaped piece of wood!

Really kicks the multiplayer experience in the teeth when you wanna fly some formation, know what I mean?

Perhaps this issue can be fixed if you can replicate the same thing. I know you could do it… :slight_smile:

Of course if it can be rectified by changing our settings then feel free to enlighten, but no other aircraft seems to have this visual issue…

Many thanks for all your team is doing.

1 Like

Could you possibly look into this behavior? You’ll notice in the video I hold the stick about half way forward yet the movement while pitching down constantly surges and slows. Pitch up behavior does not do this.

Very good plane, and I am impressed with how it has improved since release.

Very fun to fly and also, I am quite impressed with the sounds. The model is gorgeous.

I have one issue. I would love some feel of torque. Without that overpowered WWII era torque feel, this kinda feels like a piston.

Also, a minor request because that pad is getting pretty full featured. Persistent state and maintenance! Since we now have a hidden modern radio, do you think y’all could hide an autopilot in there as well?

I know that is a big ask, but I do notice myself flying warbirds and other vintage craft more often even if they have even the most basic AP functionality hidden somewhere.

I know they don’t come with an AP IRL, but we don’t fly real planes in our house, either. And the fact is, there are times when things get in the way of flying and it is lovely to just let the plane keep doing what you would have done instead, had you not been interrupted by family, or a cat.

Anyway, thanks for the wonderful work on this plane. I fly it regularly, and while this post is filled with an issue and a request, I am quite impressed with what you all have done and I trust the plane will keep getting better.

Thank you.