Innsbruck LOWI LOC East approach FIXED! UPDATE

#pc, #Steam

After my last post I was so frustrated, that this issue still was not fixed I started to dig into the matter myself. Using the LittleNavMap database and the msfsbglxml from fsdeveloper.com I found that the wrong information was in the NAX51150.bgl file. I did not manage to fix that as it did not de-compile correctly but I ended up just making a new “airport” with only the correct localizer, this is what the XML file looks like:

I used the SDK to build a new “airport” with just that xml and placed it in my community folder and bingo, LittleNavMap displays now the correct localizer heading:

Of course I tested it and flew my favorite short hop from LOWS to LOWI and for the first time in MSFS I could fly the procedure with the LOC activated!

So here is the fixed data, just unzip and place in your community folder:

Please let me know if it works for you.

No access to the file, no permission.

This looks promising… I might give it a try soon. I don’t need LittleNavMap to use this, right?

Sorry for the bad link, now it should work:

1 Like

Nope, it’s just to show that it worked, just copy the content of the zip file into your in your community folder. The link should work now. In any case, LittleNavMap is a fantastic flight planner which I highly recommend.

I’m sure it is, but I’m content with the default flight planner. I can make a gate-to-gate flight plan with assigned SIDs and STARs and approach directly into my flight plan from the world map and the ATC will follow them once I start my flight. And I have Navigraph Navdata installed too, so all the stuff from the world map is already using the updated navdata.

Sure, that works too. But one thing I don’t understand, if you have Navigraph Navdata and use it in MSFS, all approaches should be correct. So why would you need my fix? See also:

I don’t have Navigraph , that’s why I was looking for a different solution.

1 Like

I dunno… someone more knowledgeable than me suggest that LOC approach is wrong for LOWI, so I’m inclined to believe them. Same way I assumed that your fix would correct it.

Either that, or the Asobo LOWI handcrafted addon overrides the Navigraph approach anyway.

To be honest, I usually only fly RNAV to LOWI than LOC, and even if I do, I end up having to manually line up to the runway once I have visual and I have a stable descent profile anyway. So I never really know if the approach is “correct” or not, and I just assumed if someone else who is more of an expert tells me it’s wrong, then it’s wrong.

I`ve updated to fix to also include reasonable widths for both localizer, new file is here:

Looks like this now:

1 Like

Depending on the aircraft (e.g. WT CJ4) you can fly the LOC DME east with NAV + VNAV modes quite well. Technically incorrect, but works.
It usually should use the LOC-mode (intercepting only the localizer) combined with either VNAV (automatic) or V/S mode (more manual input required).

In both ways, the approach is an offset approach, that brings you close to the runway but you still have to fly a dog-leg to align with rwy 26.