Installation issues

And what I said was factual. Buying it on steam, adds one more layer to the install process. You may have to just delete the whole package located at:

C:\your profile\appdata\local\packages\Microsoftflightsimulatorx xxxxxx Just delete this whole directory, then clear out deleted files, shut down pc. Restart PC, then at admin command prompt run the following command:

“dism.exe_/online_/cleanup-image_/restorehealth”

Personally I would at least run:
sfc /scannow - to make sure file structure is good. If you think your memory is in question you can in “search box” run: mdsched.exe - that will launch a windows memory check, takes a while.

Hope this helps. Keep us apprised on progress.

1 Like

No luck on anything.

I don’t know if you got far enough into the install for the sim to have saved anything to the cloud, but since all else has failed you could see if this will help:

1 Like

I’ll try that when I get home. Also, Meridian, I will email you when I can, but I have run my RAM check already, and my file structure is alright.

1 Like

is there no link to repair or so ??

No, unfortunately there is not.

Did, Tech Support fix it for you? Did removing AV/Firewall software make a difference? Hope you get it working.

Nothing has fixed it, tech support gave me the same rundown as the troubleshooting faq then told me to wait until the update today to see if it fixes installation issues.

So, the update came out, and it has been installing for 3 hours no problems so far. Guess it wasn’t my end after all, will keep y’all updated

Update - got around 75% of the way and decompress locked. Deleted file and reopened the launcher and it continued on. It seems my problem may be fixed. I’m going to let the installer run overnight and I will let you guys know the results tomorrow morning.

Update- got to last file, stuck on decompressing, will not go past it even if file is deleted. Launcher says 100% but will not get past the last file

1 Like

I hope you get it worked out… from my experience even if it feels like nothing is happening, you just have to let the program sit there for a few days and it might work in the end.

MSFS is honestly the worst way to install software I have ever seen. It is puzzling how it can be this bad. I feel for you OP… Im currently on my 3rd day trying to do a fresh installation after formatting my drive because the xbox app couldnt get the game to work after moving it from my old pc to the new one.

Now I understand that downloading 100GB+ of data with a 50Mbit line is gonna take some time… but why cant it just download everything and then decompress. I have no idea whats going on or if my download is even working properly, I get a spike in network use every few minutes so I cant do anything requiring a stable connection while the game is downloading, yet starts and stops so often its going at snails pace on average. Is there some kind of petition to make them improve the launcher? Or just use the xbox/steam app to update their game like any other sane developer is doing? I dread the day I want to open the game for a quick flight only to see that I have an update semi-blocking my pc again for a few days.

Maybe I can hijack this post for this:
Is it normal that even when it downloads parts of an archive (currently loading fs-base-cgl-0.1.75fspackage.044) it only intermittently actually uses the network? It makes no sense to me, as it can’t really decompress the archives when they’re only partly downloaded, right? But at the same time, something seems to happen, just veeeerry slowly (yes I’ve read the tips on speeding up downloads but none of the issues described there matches my stop-and-go download rate).
It’s like half a minute full network usage, then one minute nothing. Is that just how it is?

It kind of worked today. It’s sitting at 100% saying it’s decompressing a file, so I just have to redownload that file and it’s installed.

Update- restarted the installer and it was at 100%, now suddenly 57 gb are remaining after it was at 100%??

Hmm, I think this is about the size as all the fs-base-cgl-0.1.75fspackage files together (I deleted mine because I was unsure if the download is progressing at all and this was the remaining size the updater was showing after). Maybe something went wrong downloading/decompressing these files.

All - Here is what I do to limit my downloading experience, why, because in last home, very, very slow internet.

1. Buy or dedicate at least almost 250GB space for this game to be copied into.

2. On your PC (Xbox aint got a clue) in C:\userprofile\appdata\local\packages - find MicrosoftFlightSimuolator_8wekyb3d8bbvwe - folder. Right Click and COPY to the space dedicated on either a HDD or SSD. Personality I use an USB-C SSD drive for this data, and keep it in a EMP bag to keep it safe and covered. Now you have backup of all the files contained in the game saved local.

3. IF you must reinstall game, do the following things in order.

a. Copy out all Community folder items - Put a shortcut to this folder on your desktop - make a second folder “Community Folder BKUP” and put the contents of CF files into that backup place.

b. Run the following Commands at an “Admin Command Prompt” - sfc_/scannow; CHKDSK_/F/R on the drive where MSFS is going to be installed at, recommend C drive since it and OS communicate lots. Next-Dism.exe_/online_/cleanup-image_/restorehealth - restart PC after each command completes.

4. Go to MS Store, where your purchase should be acknowledged, and click on install, it should take you too "X-Box Site and MSFS to install. There is about 2.2GBs of files it needs to put back on PC from the X-Box location. Part of this is the actual exe file and its associated desktop icon (if it’s missing) just look in start menu list it’s there in that list, you can right click on that, choose more from menu, and make a taskbar or desktop icon launch.

5. Let the Xbox stuff install, click on the icon, and launch the game. After the game has loaded and gotten to the “checking for updates, and needs to install blah, blah” let it install and download 5% of the total package, about 15-30 minutes tops depending on internet speed. After that 5%, pause, then close the game.

6. Now find that backup copy of MSFS, and copy that back to the path listed above: C:\userprofile\appdata\local\packages-paste to this location. That might take an hour. Once it’s completed.

RESTART PC, open game, it will add/install/update any files which were bad, out of date, etc., and then load up to the "main screen/world map, etc. At this point after main screen, close game, restart PC one more time. If you have peripheral devices which need to be configured do that BEFORE you start the game again, so it sees those devices. I know VIRPIL stores configuration data inside the device, so MSFS will not see them unless that device has been setup in VPC Configuration software. Plug in all flight controls if unplugged now.

Now once all the above is done, if you have plane files which are either based on .exe installation type, do those now, i.e., DC Designs F-14 and PMDG are both install based. You will have to reconfigure your “startup state and panel state” in PMDG planes unless you have made a backup.

Copy Community Folder backup to the Community Folder, but DC Designs and PMDG have been reinstalled, so you may overwrite good data with old data, So I just reinstall everything and now I have a NEW community folder which I then backup to “Community Folder-BKUP” you have on your desktop.

You can now restart PC one more time to be safe, and then open game when logged into PC. Happy Flying. MS-71

Final Update - Sim update 12, for whatever reason, seemed to fix whatever problem I was having. Everything has installed, and the game now launches and runs. Thanks to everyone here who suggested things, regardless of the result, it didn’t go unnoticed. I guess it wasn’t on my end after all.

2 Likes

A bit of both I suspect, some updates can auto correct filing errors :wink:

Anyway I’m really glad you got sorted … happy flying :small_airplane:

2 Likes

Uh… New issue… Crash to desktop when pressing fly on any mode.