Installation Manager for WU6 1.19.8.0 gets to 98% then goes back to 37% and counts up again

I have a habit of always updating my Windows 10 Pro, so I also have the 2021-08 21H1 quality update installed yesterday. My machine is a 9700KF on a Z390 Aorus Master Mainboard with 32Gb’s of 3600 C16 ram and a 1Gb SSD drive…AMD 6800XT … all of this has run 24/7 if needed, never skipped a beat. I have had MSFS installed since the beginning with only minute problems with installing updates, but never encountered anything as bad as this. Mine still goes in a loop. I deleted the whole sim. Install fresh, and sure it says its going to install about 130Gb. It gets up to 48% - I have a 300Mbps connection - and then it reverts ! Why ? I have 4 sons - each with their gaming PC’s on my optical connection, none of them have problems with their 250 different games running on Steam or Origin or Epic. After SU5 I had fun collecting up to 115Gb of addons in the community folder, all running, NO CTD’s — stable and fine no stutters @ 60fps on 1440p and Ultra ++ settings. Now : Nothing. I have no Simulator.

2 Likes

Here’s what worked for me and the update (2.67GB) took around 10 minutes:

1. Update to Windows 10 21H1 using Windows update and reboot
  2. Install the latest XBox App using Microsoft Store (not sure if this is needed but noticed it another post)
  3. Install the MSFS 2020 update using Microsoft Store
  4. Launch MSFS and let it update

Once the update completes got to Content Manager in MSFS and install any updates.

I am using a vanilla version of MSFS and have nothing in my community folder.

It would be a very good idea if MS/Asobo added the pre-requisites for installing the update to the instructions rather than getting their customers to work it out for themselves, yes we are the customer not a free quality testing team.

I hope this helps others who are struggling.

1 Like

Didn’t . Thanks anyway. I have now continouos loops , I have a video of where it “stalls” . I had to uninstall the sim and now I cannot re install it. Mine gets to about 60Gb / 130,97Gib and when it starts to decompress the base package (a large one -step 288/325 ) suddenly that process quits and it reverts back to downloading the same base package. So mine goes up to 49% installed then reverts back to 37%. I have installed nothing in the community. That said I had tons of addons when updating to SU5, and had some initial CTD’s , naturally due to the content so I figured that out in a few days. Starting with 700+ addons and reduced that to about 400 then added more as they were certified for SU5. With this update I moved everything out of the community folder first. — So again, a clean install stops for me on step 288 out of 325, its a large base package that slowly counts up tp 100% and it fails to decompress and install…LOOP. I dont want to give up but seems I am forced to.

Where is Asobo or Microsoft ? Not listening ? I have turned off autotuning in windows…resulting in a download speed of 9.4Mbit/s as opposed to about 200Mbit/s earlier, so if that works I will have the sim up and running by…some… 17-20 hours from now ? Well in 2 hours I will know if this time it doesnt loop and is able to install a large package. My god, imagine if any other software company ever did this to their customers they’d be bankrupt in no time…

1 Like

Can confirm, having the same issue

1. Packages downloaded correctly - Download phase ok
  2. On decompressing stage, when 5th package fails to decompress, the whole download phase starts again. (Download size grows after some cycles) Was ~ 2 gb initially. Now it’s about ~ 7gb to download

Tried googling the issue, so far the following doesn’t help- https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016844080-Download-stuck-on-packages-Install-loop-Decompressing-issues

Started having it only with WU 6, did about 5 loops and I gave up now.

So frustrated with this...

I have been using various software for about 25 years now. This is the first time I’m having issues like this in my whole experience.

The whole thing looks like a huge design flaw with this Installation Manager.
Why do we need to download an update in Microsoft Store (which doesn’t work properly and we need to download Xbox app for update just to be shown) /Steam and then download something else again in the Installation Manager?

Why does it go in a loop at all? Can you just show an error to the user? Why other packages have to be deleted and the whole thing starts again? What about people who don’t have unlimited traffic and download updates at night, who is going to pay for these download loops?

It is upsetting, because the simulator itself is great, community around it is even better. But these frequent updates and download issues spoil everything. It has been over a year now, do something about it please.

1 Like

Disabled Autotuning gave no change, it just slows down the speed when downloading. It still loops. Same issue as you have Gtaboncer. I am not sure how many loops I have been in but I assume 5 or 6 or 7. I keep trying I dont know why. Where in the living dayliights is some good tech help ? I thought some support would be forthcoming ?

I also tried deleting the culprit package folders… of course I rebooted and then tried again, no change same thing, I have it on video where the package installs to 100% then starts decompressing and then the loop again it starts downloading again…so screw this.

Another update, another headache. Not sure what I was expecting, it’s always like this.

1. Tried restarting my computer, didn’t work;
  2. removed everything from the community folder, didn’t work;
  3. Updated windows, didn’t work;
  4. Updated Xbox app and other xbox and microsoft platforms, didn’t work;
  5. Closed at 98%, didn’t work, just made me restart from there and continue on a smaller loop;
  6. Tried reinstalling, didn’t work;

I’m just going to give up…

1 Like

Update on Update: Ha, play on words, ok serious now. Started downloading UD yesterday at lets say 1200-1400 hours EST Dont remember exact time. FRESH install, no left over MSFS from before, removed it because it was so messed up pulling out remaining hair trying to get it to run. Swore was going to wait 6 months and try again, but alas, I am glutton for punishment. OK, at 8:30AM EST today, had about 87% of the game downloaded. We had road trip, was not going to let PC run with threat of thunderstorms in forcast, so, paused UD, closed MSFS, and Shut down PC. Got back 2PM EST and started it again, it seemed to pick up where it left off, with 19.73 left to go, and I have gotten 5.48 of that. NOTE: Before, FLight Simulator and then Deluxe and then Premium Deluxe logo showing on screen. Now only base game. Going to assume, those are someplace down in CM for me to get again, or have to schedule on Store. Since no one here has had succss with game, looking for current update bug list to see if all this time is worth it. It will not be done for at least couple more hours at my slow Internet speed. So far, no loops for me, but we aint done yet either.

And, if you read post above, I am with all who have had this install model up their kilt to ears too. If this fails, writing nice letter through attorney, asking for money back, then next PC, going to install Linux and be done with Microsoft anything. It’s just getting to be a Pain in my backside to get their stuff to work. I know the Linux development team works hard so that OS supports all current hardware. I will bet I can get X-plane and FSX to work inside that envelope without all this mess currently we have.

1 Like

Still having a problem, trying new clean install. This time from Store app, choosing standand MSFS 2020 but as you point out, all three icons appear : Standard, Deluxe and Premium. My intsall shows it expects to install 130,97Gib and 325 packages. Last time it failed decompressing package # 288. So are we all posting here for nothing ? I thought any forum with loads of Microsoft or Asobo employess watching here would take notice AND FIX THINGS: it seems to me a failure to unpack package # 288 ( out of 325 ). Are you having a failure with a specific package ?.

I had one install update problem back in like October and it’s been fine since. WU6 caught up with me though and I now have this looping issue. I’ve downloaded the 130+ gigs 3 times in the past 24 hours. I’m on the fourth try. It would install the 130+ gigs and then loop back and start downloading all of those fs-base-cgl packages over again. I’m going to try to make a copy of the files before the loop happens and see if I can place them back in if it loops again. I’ve never had a game behave in this fashion. I really hope Asobo are looking at this.

1 Like

I checked the fs-base.01.168.fspatch.001 file which is perfectly fine, 731 333 KB large file, and its the next package in line that downloads corrupt or decompresses wrong or whatever but it starte with this file:

fs-base.0.1.168.fspatch.002 which I now see as a patch file… not a zip…

The package downloads 100% then circles back …oh this is so confusings its listing different files… Well whatever…its still stopping at package or process # 288 /325…

C:\Users\Salbuhatten\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore
This is where the package files get stored but when the process stops they are all deleted.

i have checking update…and is stop. I cant run msfs

This is beyond a joke, pathetic that some of us CANNOT ffn download and even open the sim…I have never in my life experienced such a mess that is MSFS…

Adding .old to community folder then closing and reopening FS resolved issue for me

This is not acceptable in 2021, especially not by one of the largest software companies in the world, I really feel sorry for you all.

1 Like

by itself, on the fifth loop, msfs has deleted all the steam library… i install 21H1 and delete the community folder… this time, i m not on a loop, i hope, i m on the end for installation, i pass the fsbase…ouf… 136gb and 2 days of reinstallation…thx asobo…

1 Like

I was on about my 8th loop. FS kept changing the size of the download. I tried following All versions - Download stuck on packages / Install loop & Decompressing issues and it finally downloaded. I disabled windows auto tuning, used netlimiter and disabled IPV6.

yesss…downloaded, so, i install the optional 21h1 update, stop the steam overlay, and delete the community folder, not only files… lets go for the wu6 now, and the others…

None of the net limiter and other ideas worked. What solved it for me was a full uninstall and then install to a new directory, one that hadn’t been used for MSFS before. Steam version.