Instrument readability / Cockpit too dark / Eye Adaptation

all right - misunderstood then ! I don’t know to what extent this part of the global illumination can be “changed” - but if so then of course on the part of Asobo !

I own VR glasses but at the moment I don’t use them ( (I think it’s worse in VR, not now that you use that) - at the moment on 3x32" curved with TrackIr - for me it looks rather like this at the worst - so for my part actually readable (looks even worse on the screenshot had to scale down the “giant” picture a bit):

The blending effect before the last update was a bit strong - you could sporadically read the instruments badly - but I think it works at the moment!
I use standard settings for the screens and in the NvidiaFilters the options sharpen, AmbientLight, colorfullness (very discreet to scale down the colour tone) !
Cheers !

1 Like

Just my personal opinion:

My personal problem with the eye adaptation effect is this:

I am sitting in the cockpit of a real plane (or in a car), looking out the window.
My peripheral vision detects the instrument panel, but of course it’s darker.
I look down at the instrument panel (NOT moving my head, ONLY my eyes).
The instrument panel immediately “lights up” and I can read the instruments without any problems.

How does this happen in MSFS?
I am sitting in front of the monitor.
I look out the cockpit window.
My peripheral vision detects the instrument panel, but of course it’s darker.
I glance down at the instrument panel (with my eyes only).
What is happening?
Nothing, the instrument panel is as dark as before.
The program can’t detect my eye movement, of course, so I have to move the whole viewpoint in the cockpit - my “head” - downwards to read the instruments.
This is unrealistic.
(In other games this is also a problem: the program sets the eye adaptation to a fixed viewpoint, because of course it can’t do anything else)

This has caused me a lot of annoyance and discomfort (straining my eyes etc)

I use Nvidia Freestyle to work around this.
It took me hours to tune in three settings, which I have to change depending on the weather conditions, and the result is still not perfect. But at least my eyes aren’t leaking and I don’t have to assign separate buttons or keys to switch views in cockpit.

Indeed an on/off switch could be the solution, but as someone explained in this topic - if I remember correctly - this is not a simple task.

Peace, love and harmony, guys! :v:

1 Like

Exactly my thinking! And you explained it perfect. This is why I say to the developers: don’t simulate my eyes, simulate the aircraft.

1 Like

Thanks, i think it is much worse in my case, don’t know yet why.

It might be important that you use tracker, this way the light adapts in the direction you a looking in.

1 Like

and we have this wish topic where we asking for an implementation that users can decide by itself to enable or disable it ( easier way than config edit ), or also adjust the effect with a slider.

Then each user can set it how he like it and we not need disussions about personal feeling of each human bean in the world :rofl: … But the amount of votes do a little bit stagnate…

2 Likes

I want a toggle to adjust or completely turn off eye adaptation since the userCFG does absolutely nothing and is simply a fake line of text, voted

4 Likes

I would like to invite you guys to take a look into this thread:

I also have a hard time trying to read the instruments due to the sim´s light representation.

BUT: getting instrument lights MUCH brighter helps me dramatically.
So i created this thread, trying to collect info, how to make instruments brighter, including sample screenshots.

Maybe this is of interest for some of you too.

3 Likes

I wish the eye adaption in the usercfg.opt actually worked when disabled.
it’s so darn annoying to have everything overly bright outside of the cockpit.

2 Likes

make sure you have PRESET CUSTOM

{Graphics
Version 1.1.0
Preset Custom

Sorry… but where would i need to edit this?

you don’t understand, the eye adaption does not affect anything in the sim outside of the the main menu hangar.

In the UserCfg.opt file in your Local Cache folder, N6722C thinks that everybody knows as much as he does, but he is coming along.

============================

In response to editing this file, I thought it was pretty obvious what file we were talking about editing. :woozy_face:

Really ? It does on my system !!

BUT

you have to edit it every time before you start the sim, as it gets written back as “1” when the sim closes.

see

I’m fairly certain it’s a placebo effect, i’ve done extensive testing of the usercfg file before.

So have I, ever since release, and now have mine “fixed” – as described in this Topic, and in many others.

Where did this idea come form that it only applies in the Hangar ?

How did you get it fixed?

and you can also set the “EyeAdaptation 1” entry in the “UserCfg” to “0” (as workaround).

make sure you have PRESET CUSTOM

{Graphics
Version 1.1.0
Preset Custom

i would love to see proof of this, as this didn’t work previously outside of the hangar.

That´s why it is great Fenix invented their own style of cockpit illumination, instead of having the cockpit so dark like it was late autumn evening just because it´s a little bit overcast during a midsummer high noon, making it necessary to switch on integral light at 1pm… :slight_smile: