Intel A770 Graphics Card (GPU) Discussion Thread

Could you point me to some documentation on the subject of Vulkan and dual GPUs by any chance? I’d like to learn more.
Thank you

Very impressive for the A770 LE 16 Gb GPU and your system.

Yes, I want to upgrade to the i9-13900 also but my i9-9900K & A770
are doing great so I don’t really need to.
I don’t game and only fly via MSFS.

I have my A770 cabled to my TCL 65" 4K HDR QLED TV (HDMI only) via HDMI.
And only use 4K HDR.
I decided to try the A770 Display Port output.

Bought a DisplayPort to HDMI cable from Amazon.

Connected it and it will only display 1920x1080. No HDR.

Searching everywhere, and the Intel Arc Discord, I could not find any info.

Decided to look up the cable specs and it was listed as 1920x1080 only.

My mistake. Fool me once…

There are a lot of different DP to HDMI cables.
1080p → ~ $7.00 USD
4K - 1440P @ 30 Hz → ~ $8.00 US
4K - 1440P @ 60 Hz → ~ $12.00 US
4K - 2160P @ 30 Hz
4K - 2160P @ 60 Hz
8K - @60Hz DisplayPort to HDMI Cable 9.9ft, DP 1.4a to HDMI 2.1 Video Cord, Support 8K, 4K@120Hz/144Hz, 2K@240Hz → $30.00 USD

So, I found one and ordered it from Amazon.
TECHTOBOX DisplayPort to HDMI Cable Adapter 6.6FT → $13.92 USD

• [4K@60Hz,2K@144Hz,2K@120Hz]
  • [DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Cord]

DisplayPort 1.2 - UHD - 3840 x 2160, 60 Hz, & 17.28 Gbps.
HDMI 2.0 - UHD - 3840 x 2160, 60 Hz, & 14.4 Gbps.

It arrives tomorrow.

Is Hdr fully supported now in tve sim? I have the same hardware, just a 2080TI instead of the A770.

I think it maybe has always has been but I didn’t understand how to configure it. Maybe.

But, it is now .
This is a summary of the Topic below:

HDR
-----------------------------------
PC Windows, GPU, and Monitor must be equipped. 
HDMI Cable 2.0b or higher or Display Port cable is required.

FS2020
-----------------------------------

There are 2 states each, On, Off, and 3 variables, W, X, F
2 cubed = 8 possible states  

W = Windows 10/11 -> HDR=On
X = Xbox Game Bar, Gaming Features -> HDR=On 
F = FS2020 -> HDR=On (FS2020 Option - HDR10 On or Off)

SUMMARY
Summary from below (you don't need to review the DETAILS below):
1. Win=Off & Xbox=Off     ( F = On or Off)
           = SDR
2. Win=On & Xbox=On
     F=Off = HDR =  242 nits
     F=On  = HDR = 1190 nits
     F=On  = HDR = 9094 nits with MSI Afterburner

3.MSI Afterburner
  MSI is strange with HDR. 
  Seems to affect the nits for itself but not the FS2020 screen.

Note: more nits = higher definition - brightness & color
The above nits are from my display which is spec’d at 1499 nits.
Yours will be different.

Look at my Topic for the details to understand how it works.

Click the following Blue address
HDR - Windows10/11 Option & Xbox Game Bar Option & FS2020 HDR10 Option

1 Like

As you found out, you really REALLY have to research the adapters for dp2hdmi (DisplayPort to HDMI) pr you’ll get screwed. My local store had various dp2hdmi adapters, but only one said 4k output on it - and it was more (but not THAT much more $28 CAN). I’ve got three of them, and they work okay. The rest of them, as you found out are only good for hooking up screens that can’t do more than FHD (1920x1080).

Hate to say it, but sometimes price can be a good indicator that something’s amiss.

Same as how somehow, one older cable got into my mix of the latest video cables. Worked fine until I moved it, then I could have sworn the screen was dying (which is crazy thinking - it’s only 5 months old). After two days worrying, noticed the cable wasn’t quite as thick as the rest - replaced it, all good. So it’s with the pile of old CAT5 and CAT6 cables (using CAT7 throughout now) because some of the CAT5 is from 25 years ago, and who needs the hassle? Same as an old USB2 printer cable made my wide format printer “look” defective. Cables might seem like passive devices, but one one starts to go (strain, whatever) it can leave you scratching your head.

Good luck with your new adapter.

Here’s an intro:

Vulcan vs OpenGL, etc. on Wikipedia

It’s an API that lets you offload more work to the graphics card than Directx 11 and OpenGL. The more work you can offload to the GPU(s), the better. Works independent of the number of cards, same as sending postscript commands works the same independent of the number of printers you send the commands to (postscript is a series of commands that describes the page you want printed and the data required - the printer’s postscript printer then interprets those commands to render the page, sort of like how OpenGL and Vulcan describe the output they want without actually having to generate that output, and the OpenGL or Vulcan-enabled card does the actual rendering).

You do need the bus bandwidth (in both cases) to send data to the graphics cards / printers, but that’s also a LOT less than rendering the data on the CPU and then sending it over the internal bus to a more primitive graphics card.

This is also why one previous poster was wrong to argue that adding another card to the system wouldn’t increase performance. They were still stuck in the mindset of SLI - multiple cards were needed at the time to get to 4k. Today you can have multiple cards, each rendering to 2 or 3 (or even 4) screens at 4k. And the i9-13900’s iGPU can also do 4 x 4k or 1 x 8k.

And everyone’s going to 4k and 8k - even webcams at 4k are becoming easier to find and more reasonable in price. Which leaves me wondering why laptops are still stuck with 1080p webcams, but that’s another story. For many of us, a high-end laptop USED to be a DTR (DeskTop Replacement) but with work at home, screw that! A real computer, expandable, with a big screen smart TV, is becoming the de facto standard for WFH (Work From Home) - and in the case of low vision users (an increasing segment of the population) it’s pretty much essential, because laptops with screen magnifiers suck in so many ways. “Don’t magnify a part of the screen - make the whole screen HUGE! Work like a human being again!”).

On a related note - VR doesn’t work for a large segment of the population with vision problems - especially low vision users with tunnel vision. Vertigo renders headsets useless, same as screen magnifiers on craptops induces nausea on many low vision users having to scroll a viewport back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Just get a huge screen already! They’re under a grand now. If your employer can’t afford less than a grand amortized over 10 years, sue them for discrimination based on handicap - and if the vision is related to age, age discrimination - a protected class.

1 Like

I always said, build it and then tell, screw the people doing idle speculation of what can be done in theory, because while in theory, theory and practice should be the same, in practice they never are.

Wait until next week, when the two 65" side screens I have on order “should” be in stock. Can’t wait to try and see what sort of widescreen landscape view I get in 16k x 2k. Might give me the incentive to go for the i9-13900 if needed, but only actual experimentation can provide that answer. That’s why I’m waiting to post final performance screenshots, as well as visuals.

It also highlights what I’ve been saying all along - MORE RAM! Max the sucker out if you can - MSFS is Windows, and Windows will take all the RAM you can give it, and give a better cost/benefit than an SSD. I’m holding off on SSDs until 4tb ones become reasonably priced - so next year I’ll throw 5 in the box. Until then, there’s no reason to bother. Plus, right now I have a 1TB rolling cache - I’m curious if anyone has implemented a 4tb rolling cache on an SSD … if not, the 2024 will be the year we find out if it’s worth it.

The continuing saga for a new DP to HDMI cable to replace my HDMI cable. A770 LE 16 GB to Qled TV.

Edit: 3/2/2023
See the next rely for full DR & HDMI Specs

Success.
DP to HDMI Cable - Getting HDR10 to work on my
4K HDR/Dolby Vision TV that has only 3 HDMI inputs.

4K and HDR worked fine via a HDMI cable.

I expected the HDR to improve with the DP output
from the A770 GPU.
The graphics are improved with more detail.
And the colors are more vivid.

DP to HDMI Cables

1st HD 1920p → SDR
2nd DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 → 4K @ 30 Hz, SDR
3rd DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 → 4K @ 60 Hz, SDR
4th DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 → 4K @ 60 Hz, HDR

DP 1.4 is required for HDR.
HDMI 2.0 & 2.1 are required for HDR.

The third cable should have worked but it did not.
I don’t know why.

HDMI and DP Specifications

HDMI 1.4 - 8.16 Gbit/s
HDMI 1.4 - 1K (1920 x 1080) @ 120 Hz, UHD, HDR
HDMI 1.4 - 4K (4096 x 2160) @ 24 Hz, UHD, HDR
HDMI 1.4 - 4K (3840 x 2160) @ 30 Hz, UHD, HDR

HDMI 2.0 - 18.0 Gbit/s.
HDMI 2.0 - 4K (3840 x 2160) @ 60 Hz, UHD, HDR
HDMI 2.0A - HDR
HDMI 2.0B - HDR10

HDMI 2.1 - 10K @ 120 Hz. Improved HDR
HDMI 2.1 - Variable Refresh Rate (some 2.0 also suppport it)
HDMI 2.1A - Tone Mapping
HDMI 2.1 - May require “Ultra High Speed” cables

from Wikipedia (HDMI - Wikipedia)

DP 1.2 - 17.28 Gbit/s
DP 1.2 - Greater color depth
DP 1.2 - 4K (3840 × 2160) @ 60 Hz UHD, SDR

DP 1.3 - 32.4 Gbits/s, no HDR
DP 1.3 - 4K (3840 x 2160) @ 120 HZ, UHD
DP 1.3 - 5K (5120 x 2880) @ 60 HZ, UHD
DP 1.3 - 8K (7680 x 4320) @ 30 HZ, UHD

DP 1.4 - Same as 1.3, HDR (HDR10)

DP 2.0 - 77.37 Gbit/s
DP 2.0 - 8K ( 7680 x 4320) @ 60 Hz, UHD, HDR *
DP 2.0 - 10K (10240 x 4320) @ 60 Hz, UHD, SDR *
DP 2.0 - 16K (15360 x 8640) @ 60 Hz, UHD, HDR *
DP 2.1 - USB4
* one display

DP 2.0 from Wikipedia (DisplayPort - Wikipedia)

DP 2.0 configuration examples

With the increased bandwidth enabled by DisplayPort 2.0, VESA offers a high degree of
versatility and configurations for higher display resolutions and refresh rates.
In addition to the above-mentioned 8K resolution at 60 Hz with HDR support, UHBR20
through USB-C as DisplayPort Alt Mode enables a variety of high-performance
configurations:

Single display resolutions
One 16K (15360 × 8640) display @ 60 Hz with 10 bpc (30 bit/px, HDR)
RGB/Y′CBCR 4:4:4 color (with DSC)
One 10K (10240 × 4320) display @ 60 Hz and 8 bpc (24 bit/px, SDR)
RGB/Y′CBCR 4:4:4 color (uncompressed)

1. Dual display resolutions
    Two 8K (7680 × 4320) displays @ 120 Hz and 10 bpc (30 bit/px, HDR)

Two 4K (3840 × 2160) displays @ 144 Hz and 8 bpc (24 bit/px, SDR)

1. Triple display resolutions
    Three 10K (10240 × 4320) displays @ 60 Hz and 10 bpc (30 bit/px, HDR)

2. Three 4K (3840 × 2160) displays @ 90 Hz and 10 bpc (30 bit/px, HDR)

When using only two lanes on the USB-C connector via DP Alt Mode to allow for simultaneous
SuperSpeed USB data and video, DP 2.0 can enable such configurations as:

1. Three 4K (3840 × 2160) displays @ 144 Hz and 10 bpc (30 bit/px, HDR)

2. Two 4K × 4K (4096 × 4096) displays (for AR/VR headsets) @ 120 Hz and 10 bpc (30 bit/px, HDR)

3. Three QHD (2560 × 1440) @ 120 Hz and 8 bpc (24 bit/px, SDR)

4. One 8K (7680 × 4320) display @ 30 Hz and 10 bpc (30 bit/px, HDR)

1 Like

Thank you, this is very enlightening. I understand Vulkan allows for lower overhead, and that it scales well with additional cards. I can see how that would benefit Xplane for instance as it supports Vulkan. However, I was under the impression that MSFS does not support Vulkan, am I correct?

Yes, Microsoft use DirextX. Remember it needs to be something that will work on both PC and Xbox. :blush:

1 Like

MSFS does not support the Vulkan API - only DirectX.

This idea of MSFS using dual-GPUs on the Vulkan API is just utter nonsense and misinformation.

MSFS supports VULCAN as part of DirectX 12 support. https://game.intel.com/story/intel-arc-graphics-dx12-vulkan-qa/

1 Like

DirectX and Vulkan are two separate graphic APIs. DX12 support has nothing to do with Vulkan.

MSFS currently only supports DX11 and DX12 APIs.

1 Like

Thank you for the link, this is news to me I will read, watch and ingest in order to understand how these APIs interact.

EDIT: I did, the Intel GPU spokesperson explained the differences between legacy APIs such as DX11 and newer, modern, lower level APIs such as DX12 and Vulkan.
At launch, Intel Arc cards were expected to work better with the newer APIs, whereas results on DX11 titles were expected to be variable, with a progress curve as Intel invests resources in optimizing ‘older’ games.

However I did not read or see anything about ‘Vulkan support as part of DX12’ ?
The Intel folks just said that DX12 and Vulkan are similar, relative to older APIs.

Correct, DX12 and Vulkan are completely separate APIs and are not related besides being a graphics API. Vulkan and DX12 are low-level hardware access APIs that compete against each other. A few games allow the choice between DX12 and Vulkan - Red Dead Redemption 2 is one of them, while other games like Doom only use Vulkan. MSFS currently only uses DX11 and DX12, but Vulkan support could be added in the future.

The link from Intel above is just showing that Vulkan support is included with Intel ARK drivers. Nvidia and AMD also have Vulkan APIs included with their drivers, so this is nothing unique. It’s up to each game on whether or not to use Vulkan APIsm

Another good read:

1 Like

MSFS uses the DX11 or DX12 API and X-Plane uses the Vulcan API.
This are separed API’s and are not used together.
All graphic card manufacturers can make use of this API’s.

Thank you.
@barbra6456 is happy with their dual A770 setup.
I understand it can’t be using Vulkan, MSFS is DirectX only.
So how does that work? Different screens hooked up to different cards, but the heavy lifting only happens on one card? Or is the game taking advantage of the additional firepower?

Thought this might be of interest to those following this thread. Intel is making serious gains among reviewers:

Most of the “Could not recommend” are changing it to
I can “Recommend it” now.

Except for 2 sites that just have a dislike for Intel to succeed.

1 Like