Interesting Approach

Just flew an approach into EGNT (Newcastle, England) Low IFR from EGGP (Liverpool, England - night flight (smile) I live on the west coast of the USA so most all my European flights are night flights. - In any case, the approach to EGNT was kind of a figue eight. I’m guessing it was to keep the plane out of either a noise-sensitive or national security areas.
So the question is do others have an interesting approach I might try.

dw
generally fly GA craft.

2 Likes

How about London City flying from the East, that’s an interesting approach in the day and more so at night, very steep.

The Idaho back county has some really cool grass fields right off the river in between the valley you need to check out Mackey Bar, Wilson bar approaches they are remote airfields in the mountains these are the two most fun private airfields to bring your tundra husky into I found

5 Likes

NZQN Queenstown New Zealand interesting either 05 or 23 RNAV approach

4 Likes

EGNT is my base as I live close by. If you fly ILS it takes you to NT and then back out again. I am on the flight path to RW 27 and they fly directly over me. If you fly in fs it’s totally different

1 Like

TFFJ Rwy 10 - good luck!

2 Likes

Courchevel (France) LFLJ

1 Like

Paro, Bhutan (VQPR)

Edit:

It might be an overstatement to call Paro “The World’s Most Dangerous Approach”, but it seems interesting from the video. Another couple of challenging approaches that are serviced by airlines are Bella Coola (CYBD - Pacific Coastal Beech 1900s) and Castlegar (CYCG - Jazz and Encore Dash-8s). The approach to Rwy 23 in Bella Coola (CYBD) snakes down the valley much like the Paro approach in the video above. And Castlegar (CYCG) is down in a tight valley with power lines and mountains in close proximity off the ends of both runways.

4 Likes

There are some great suggestions for interesting approaches here!
I see that you mentioned you are from the USA. In the UK ILS procedures are coded a little differently and usually the procedural approach starts over the airfield for many airports. In practice aircraft won’t fly this full procedure as they will be “vectored to final” by the approach radar. More specific information for EGNT can be found in this thread https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ils-approach-runway-25-newcastle/493773/

1 Like

Thank you all. It is interesting ‘flying’ around the world. Of course, different countries will have different processes. I’m mostly happy with the compromises MSFS has made. I’m sure the dev meetings are very interesting.
MY SOP is to fly real weather with multiplayer on western usa server. I’m an XBox X user.
My personal goal is to get the 500 airport achievement. I’m at about 150 with about 200 hours.

I have put some of those approaches on my to-do list.

dw

1 Like

Try Paro, Bhutan (VQPR). One of the world’s toughest. Link to my landing in the Longitude:

2 Likes

You could also try Milford Sound (NZMF) from the SE - Runway 29. It’s easy really, just follow Highway 94 and you’re there. Never managed a decent landing yet though!!

1 Like

Innesbruck in Austria in bad weather is interesting :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Paro is a great public approach for an airliner (most of the other really interesting airline approaches I know aren’t publicly available.)

If we’re including bush flying, you’re not going to find better flying anywhere than the grass strips in Papua New Guinea / Papua Indonesia. Check out Bugalaga, Omban, Boridi, and so many more. Literally hundreds of them!

1 Like

In Europe, I find Naples and Bilbao interesting.

2 Likes

Try SVCS in North America…

1 Like

Mackinac Island also is a fun approach in a GA so I do Kodiak flights between Mackinac and Beaver island because that huge Mackinac bridge is quite something (A 5 mile long bridge)

2 Likes

The approach into Aspen KASE is interesting and during low visibility can be intense. Good times though…

3 Likes

Thank you all. I’ve added most all to my to list. after all I got to get that 500 airport achievement badge.

Speaking a approaches – try this one guys HAAB aka Addis Ababa Bole International. hot high and fast…

dw

Aspen is one of 11 airports in the US where you can have weather good enough so as not to be required to file an alternate on your IFR flight plan, but where you might not be able to get into the airport. If you have a forecast 2,000-foot ceiling one hour before to one hour after your estimated time of arrival, you don’t have to legally file an alternate (as long as you have 3 miles visibility or greater forecast as well). But if you arrive and there’s a 2,000-foot ceiling (exactly as forecast), you can’t legally fly the approach!

True story.

2 Likes