Is AI traffic (offline) working?

I know online AI traffic is somehow working, but specially today, some airports in RL are kind of empty.
So I prefer using Offline AI traffic, and set % of airliners/ga aircrafts in options menu.
Now, I see some aicrafts parked here and there, but I’ve never saw any aicracft taxing, landing or taking off.
I have airliners and GA sliders to almost 100% and nothing, airports are dead.
Can anyone confirm this is working?

2 Likes

I don’t know about AI planes moving in and around airports, but I know the feature itself outright breaks the sim if the skies get too busy.

I was flying from DC to NYC the other night, with AI traffic on. You couldn’t get a word in edgewise on the frequency, even though I had it at only 50%, which isn’t unrealistic compared to the real world, but it was literally cutting my performance in half.

To a certain degree that makes sense, because your sim locally must calculate the proper traffic patterns, put them on the radio, display them visually if they’re close enough, and probably most impactful, actually virtually FLY them because there’s no human there to take on that task. The constant “You are X feet above/below your assigned altitude” callouts aren’t helping either, especially considering they’re directed at presumably professional pilots flying modern jets on advanced autopilots. That just doesn’t happen IRL, and is just adding even more workload to your system that is completely unnecessary.

I don’t know how much impact multiplayer is adding, because there’s never as many MP aircraft as AI aircraft, and there are actual humans doing the flying (or at least the autopilot being controlled by a human’s computer, not yours), so that workload doesn’t exist locally.

I actually like the idea of AI traffic, as it adds to the immersion factor, but it’s unplayable in its current form. I haven’t played much with multiplayer traffic, so don’t have an informed opinion there. But for now, I just leave them both OFF unless I decide I actually like fps rates in the teens.

KevyKevTPA
PP, ASEL, IA

3 Likes

For me AI offline is also not working, at 100 % main Airport EDDF is empty… -.-

1 Like

There are problems - I have had but fixed (do you have the same issues I posted here - the XBOX logo and your profile picture is blank or empty?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/is-real-time-traffic-down/297310

You are refering to real time traffic (online) if I see correctly.
But no, i’m refering specifically to offline AI traffic.

Thanks @Airtime936937 for testing.
I would like to see a couple more tests from different users to confirm. It seems it’s not a local-pc or installation problem, but it’s the feature of AI (OFFLINE) traffic it’s just not working at all.

All my airports ar packed with business jets and A320’s from the mega liveriepack. Even small airports are packed.

What do you mean by packed ? If you mean there are lots or aircrafts parked in airports, yes on my side I also have aircrafts parked all over there, but I don’t see them doing taxing, takeoff , landing. (Again only talking of OFFLINE AI)

Mine are flying, taxing, landing, takeoff, everything. But they are all A320’s from the megapack and businees jets

1 Like

Same here. Offline Air Traffic. Lots of vehicles zooming around the airport (on the taxiways, for some reason) even at only 50%. But while I see a lot of planes at various gates, and I’ve had air traffic at 100% for weeks now, I have yet to see another plane taxiing at the airports I’ve been at, nor heard of them over ATC. I was once told to follow a jet on final, but I never saw it.

Worked fine in FSX - in fact, I had to have the traffic at 50% because I would have trouble trying to reply to ATC. I understand this isn’t FSX - but I do think this feature will be working fine at some point. Just doesn’t seem to be now.

Thanks.
It seems we will need more tests from community.
If that’s the case… then it’s a feature that’s not working, or critical bug ? Who knows.
But it may be interesting to confirm this, to let MS/ASobo know/ack.
(I know I repeated it many times and will be the last, but for the quick viewers of this thread, we are talking ONLY of OFFLINE AI traffic option)

I have the same experience, a large number of parked planes and a few flying ones that disappear after landing, both offline and online.

Traffic is very poorly depicted atm, and I don’t know how much of a priority this is to the devs. I suggest you to keep creating Zendesk tickets and upvoting the following thread:

I couldn’t find any thread about offline traffic with more than five votes. Feel free to create one and link it here so we can all vote too.

I don’t want to mix real time traffic with offline, as they are both completely different ways of approach AI traffic generation (I’m talking specifically of the latest). And altough RT traffic may not depict RW traffic density, at least it works somehow. Offline AI traffic it’s absoluze zero, nothing is working.
And yes, with some more tests confirming that is not working for everyone I will create a Zendesk ticket.

Sorry but “it works somehow” is not good enough. And I beg to differ, I’ve had a few occasions where it sorta worked in KDEN and RJAA, which was nice, but overall it’s as bad as offline AI traffic. Both need attention.

How are you guys managing to get it working at ALL without melting your systems? (See my post above for details about what I’m talking about…)

KKT

Don’t get me wrong. I agree is not good enough RT traffic (voted).
But for us that prefer a consistent-crowded airports (not depending even on real world traffic specially nowdays), it’s important to notice developers that one of the intended working features (OFFLINE traffic) it’s not working at all. That’s what I meant.

And I absolutely I agree with you. :smile: It’s definitely not working for me as well! I believe that’s the case for everybody else. Please link your report here, in case you create one, so we can vote. Cheers!

I wonder are they working on it, as there is definatly less traffic today. And seem to remember the same last Sunday.
Also the first CTD’s for near a week again today.

It’s all a bit “Willy Wonka” isn’t it…

“Ooh I wonder what the Oompa Loompa’s are up to behind that wall?
What’s coming off the conveyor belt next?
Are we going to get a Scrum-Diddly-Umptious or a Vermicious Knid?”

1 Like

less traffic ? Did do you had real-time online traffic or offline traffic enabled ? Please check your traffic options. The test I’m asking only applies when you have “Aircraft Traffic Type” set to “AI OFFLINE”, under traffic options.
If using Offline option you should have only parked aircraft and NO moving aircraft at all. (taxing,takeoff,landing)

I use AI offline traffic and I see aircraft parked, taxi, takeoff, land, and fly. So the feature as-such is working.

There are some airports where I see very little activity other than parked aircraft and ground vehicles, so the issues people are reporting above could be related to airport implementations.