Is anyone else really dissapointed?

Well said! I played FS9 for years and (from day 1) flew IFR. Things got better with patches, and I spent some money on addons but it delivered what it promised- VFR and IFR functions. Nobody is expecting a Boeing level professional flight simulator… but if you advertise a “successor” to FS9 and FSX, at least get the basics right.

1 Like

I can say I’m a bit disappointed although very hopeful.
Good

• visuals are great even though very taxing on CPU/GPU
  • great use of satellite imagery and photogrammetry
  • you have to buy the full deluxe premium (or whatever it is called) to get a decent selection of aircraft
  • mod community already jumping in
  • Saitek panels require 3rd party software - really??? How did Logitech / MS miss this key need?

Bad

• performance inconsistent
  • flight setup isn’t nearly as intuitive as XP11 or others (landing practice, ILS, frequency, airport info, etc.)
  • Flight model seems decent
  • doesn’t feel polished, more like a decent beta or pre-alpha release. Not a triple AAA polish yet

I’m hopeful it will rapidly improve. There’s too many of us that have invested in it already not to give it a chance. I think MS will come through, although they really should have given another 30 days of polish and testing before the full release in my opinion.

I posted this elsewhere, but it seems more appropriate in this thread:

IMO, Microsoft initially intended MSFS2020 as an XBOX game for the masses. This to me is indicated by the lack of multi-monitor support, poor peripheral support, general simplification of the aircraft systems and aerodynamics, PC installation issues, and focus on impressive graphics and network gaming functions over smooth PC installation, and poor aerodynamic, performance, and systems authenticity. I can’t blame Microsoft for this. It brings aviation to a much bigger market than just the P3D/XP/etc simmers of the world. I’m glad they made the decision to port it to the PC, though!

Having said that, MSFS2020 has huge potential to become a great product, both to the arcade gamers, and to the hard-core flight simmers. Perhaps it was released a bit early, but there are plenty of satisfied customers.

$500 lol… ok calm down. I’m sure Asobo will take you out to dinner if you just ask nicely.

What are your settings? I find it hard to believe you’re getting that much. In fact I don’t really believe it.

KTPA old sim

For the first few times up learning how to make this work I’m starting now to really get jazzed about it. I’ve been simming since the very first sims arrived decades ago. Even though it’s got bunch of things that need addressed what was released was truly spectacular, especially as a first release. I initially felt like I would be back into P3D quickly–then I got on to what it’s like to be flying thru reality as it were–for the state of hardware today, this sim is as real as it gets, and it’s just getting started I feel. The graphics engine is, even w/o DX12, so far ahead of the competition it’s astounding. Of course, the depth isn’t there yet, but the writing is on the wall: this sim has a serious future–much more so than prior releases IMO, and that is in the context of the other dominant sims. I’ve restricted use to the TBM930 and it’s certain sufficient for FSCaptain when they get that fabulous program up and running in MSFS, and they are working on it for sure, for obvious reasons. Some real magic happened tonight when I decided to turn the 9900K from 5.0Ghz non-HT, to 4.8Ghz w/ HT enabled. I hope what I saw was true, and it dang well ought to be since I flew out of Tacoma Narrows and that is a busy spot. Not a single ramp up of the CPU to 100% which happened somewhat regularly w/ HT off. Anyway, I’ve had a hard time going back to P3D though I know I will I have some much time w/ it and love the PMDG and Majestic planes. But right now I’m stoked to learn something underestimated: it’s very meaningful flying thru the largely photoreal deal, not an artist’s rendition of the real deal. This adds far more to the experience than I imagined–I though it would be a novelty but I think it’s more than that now.

1 Like

In a flight VFR Gibraltar-Malaga (Spain) at 4000 feet by the Mediterranean coast the scenery was disappointing: the houses were like cubes, very unrealistics.

Overall I am quite impressed with FS 2020, but I am disappointed that having paid for the premium deluxe version the rendering of a lot of places is very poor … and disappointing … being from East Yorkshire I expected to take off from Humberside … fly north and see the Humber Bridge … no Humber Bridge … certainly not a suspension bridge … and one of the most iconic cable stay bridges in the world … the Millau Viaduct … rubbish … are we going to get DLC over time that upgrades them … I also read elsewhere that the “game” is totally US friendly … just Portsmouth and Southampton phtogrammetrically rendered in the UK … and Buckingham Palace is a concrete office building … we need updates !!! For our money|!!!

1 Like

Fixing the world is an impossible task. It appears Asobo realise that. What they need to do (and have hinted at) is to create an x-plane gateway style community project where simmers can submit scenery fixes for including in the core sim. There are hundreds of scenery fixed already available on community websites.

4 Likes

Not quite sure what paying for the Premium Deluxe version has to do with the rendering of a bridge in East Yorkshire. The difference between the base version of Flight Simulator and the Premium Deluxe Version is the addition of planes and a few extra hand modelled international airports.

I think the scenery depicted is an increditble achievement, but to expect exact fidelity everywhere, modelled perfectly in the entire world is not realistic.

4 Likes

I’m hoping that as satellite imaging resolution and clarity improves, so will the graphics. And one day, by imaging the surface from different directions, 3d imaging will automatically be computed and displayed.

For now, though, this is pretty cutting-edge for a $69 program. And it will get better.

1 Like

Agree 100%

All ULTRA, my computer is a real beast

Nah. I hear that from time to time. Knowing my computer and my experiences, and those of friends, I can’t believe that.

We all buy the same stuff. Yours isn’t magic.

There are plenty of people that are getting near 60 or over 60 fps in this sim. Especially in a 172. And some of them are not even running high end gear. Granted those people probably are not doing on default ultra settings though lol. However I have seen videos of people running in ultra, on a 4K monitor WHILE recording the screen and getting 60 fps.

Sometimes it isn’t always about the hardware, it is about how much time you spend setting up the sim and optimizing your system. Like I said in my original post, I can get 50 to 60 fps at JFK on the ground in a 172. And that is in 4K. If I use render scaling to drop down to 1080p I can push 80 fps, especially in the air.

To tell you the truth I don’t find this sim any harder to run than Xplane with add ons.

1 Like

We definitely need a gateway for scenery like we have in XP. Its such an asset and if Asobo give us the means to mod default airports we can build a really good collection of base sim airports as well as other sceneries. We could even have an object library so we can all mod the areas we live in with more appropriate buildings, even if the objects we place are not exactly correct they would be better than multi storey office blocks where farm buildings should be.

Yeah I second this. I’m currently working on my nearby airport as the parking spots and other stuff was way off, but I had to start from scratch as I cant use the current airport as start point.

1 Like

Disappointed? Not a single bit. Why? Because I’m a long time, multi-platform simmer that perfectly knows what can be expected and what will be added. The first thing with flight sims to do, is this: ignore any marketing talk, always, ever. 2nd: adjust your expecations to a long term timeframe. Simulators are super complex programs with insane scopes, this means that the more time passes, the better it’s gonna be. It’s the usual “rome wasn’t built in a day” situation. This exact scenario has been the same in Xplane, Fsx or P3D. It took P3D a decade to go 64-bit, for instance. It took Xplane YEARS to get the flightmodel somewhat correct. We’re all in this for the long run as are the devs😀 This is gonna be hell of an adventure. What we got with the first version of Msfs2020 has never been done before in any other sim. The launch could’ve been so much worse, but it actually was fantastic. If you think i’m lying you weren’t there when the other sims launched.

8 Likes

Maybe not everyone has computers that can barely open chrome :man_shrugging: