Is anyone else really dissapointed?

​I have only spent 5 or so hours on the sim and NOT on my PC. My laptop will not run the sim at medium settings or higher so it makes no sense installing it. And until I am back home in California, I will not be able to enjoy the new sim.

From my time with the sim today, I am NOT disappointed and really enjoyed my time with it. Sim ran smoothly, and visually I was impressed. By the time I am back home and my new rig is ready, I am sure some issues will be worked out.

Sorry to hear some folks are having issues…I hope you guys find fixes soon.

Yes very much so. The lack of controls for multiple monitors and pop out garmins as stated above, is a show stopper for me. Home built cockpit setup like a 172. It is unusable, for me anyway, until they can address these issues.

Sad part is they were billing this as a true flight sim. From just the few minutes I have had on it, they flight dynamics do not feel right at all either.

Back to XP11 until they can fix it. Hopes dashed…

5 Likes

No problems at all with setting up controls. My Winwing F-18 throttle/Stick and MFG pedals are working perfectly.

Tip - When setting up throttle, pitch, roll yaw and brakes ensure that you select the binding that states 'Axis" at the end of the input name.

I also found that dropping the axis sensitivity down to 40% on both pitch and roll helped
immensely.

Oh, one MAJOR issue… can’t fly under the golden gate bridge. That’s a big fail. Instant crash.
Been able to fly under the golden gate since Flight Simulator on the Amiga!

Let’s do something about this!

13 Likes

Very Disappointed !!! First 30 min. flight and all bugs and even more are still present! Can’t begin to even count the bugs I saw from boot-up to shut down! What a mess! The only thing I noticed is the watermark is gone and replaced with a bunch of micro stutters. NONE of the super obvious low hanging bugs were addressed! Shame on you Microsoft! I have “flown” your sim since you bought it from Bruce and you NEVER EVER released a dog like this before!!!

6 Likes

Casting my mind back over the last 8 months, I’m pretty sure many RTX2080 users have complained, whereas GTX1080’s seem to be ok. I run a GTX1080ti with 11Gb VRAM and performance has been fine on Ultra settings.

2 Likes

No at all. Its going to be a work in progress for many years. This is the baseline. Its the start of something much bigger.

How some people are not grateful that we even have a new version of MS is beyond me…

7 Likes

Jummivana - you may want to consider putting out a statement or issuing some help to those users who can’t even install the game.

It’s fine to suggest users fill out bug reports on Zendesk, but when the forums have been experiencing overload issues since release, and many hundreds of users are still having installation issues, it’s difficult to believe that the product was any where near Release Candidate stage…

These are the sort of issues that commonly plague early access titles. Like many have said this is a full paid release.

4 Likes

I have been chomping at the bit to play this simulator for months so speak for yourself…I am happy to be paying Microsoft to beta test Flight Simulator 2020.

2 Likes

Lol - striving for mediocrity one slow step at a time…

1 Like

Not at all disappointed, but my investment here is $1. Yeah, the standard version is on Microsoft Game Pass PC and the first month is $1.

I feel for people that have $100 invested at this point, because my experience so far has not left me 1000% impressed. Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot of great stuff here, but it just seems unfinished.

Please, spare me the “this is day one” and trying to level set expectations such that game studios are not expected to deliver a finished product.

Last night at midnight, I launched this to see it was in fact unlocked. It needed to do an update, the size basically the same as what had pre-loaded. OK, that is fine. Problem is, it CTD at the end. I launched it again, and it seemed to run, and now was going through the initial settings. I did that and shut it down for the night.

This morning, I fired it up. Was first met with the problem that I had no controls. Despite the sim detecting my X52 Pro controls, it didn’t assign any axis or buttons. And the process to do this couldn’t be any more time consuming or painful if they actually tried.

I finally got controls working,. and did my first flight from JFK to BOS in the cessna 172. Had a lot of problems getting autopilot to work, and never did get procedures page to work and actually select and activate an approach.

As I was trying to figure that out, the sim CTD. I have a feeling I was stumbling on a bug in the FMC code.

Following that, I’ve had a few successful flights. The graphics for the most part are mind blowing. Maybe not the quality and performance so much, but that everything in my real world area is modeled – down to churches and strip malls and my house, etc.

I tried the A320 and couldn’t even find a place in the FMC to set an approach. Not departure/arrivals button, no procedures button. I am tempted to look at POH and FCM, but I have a feeling that will just be wasted time to confirm what I already think – that this is just not modeled yet.

Then there is the lack of light at airports at night.

Where is the failures section? How can I tell the sim to simulate failures? Does it even?

The flight model seems off. Even though I have all the settings set to “real world”, the aircraft seem a little too easy to fly. It just feels “arcade” ish.

Then there are the frequent disconnects – and no it isn’t my Internet.

Then there is the issue of the head shake makes it extremely hard to manipulate knobs. They are literally moving targets.

It just seems unpolished to me.

9 Likes

It does seem like about 40% into the alpha some execs decided to release immediately…

15 Likes

Yep, there’s a reason the release date shocked us alpha testers.

15 Likes

Lemmie guess - the month and the day were right, but someone mistook the 2021 for 2020…

5 Likes

Miles,

I have run the sim for many weeks with a Ryzen 5-1600, GTX 1070 and 16Gb Ram, so the sim does not require a super computer in my experience to run well and have a good experience.

Maybe start with a more balance graphics settings of MED or HIGH and make sure your not trying to run 4K right out of the box. Then work those sliders gradually to get the sim working where you feel your flight experience is satisfying.

If you go into the simulator thinking and expecting it is a P3D or FSX with just better graphics and weather, it is not, but a complete re-imagining. Once you have some time with the settings and interface, it becomes very natural. Advice after 38 years flying the franchise.

5 Likes

well i am wish they would fix the X52 Pro H.O.T.A.S i can’t fly with a keyboardlol
will refund soon if not fixed

I’m actually impressed. As a developer myself, I know all too well that no amount of testing (unit testing, focus group testing, alpha testing, beta testing) can capture all bugs. The mixed nature of PC hardware and peripherals means that you cannot account for every configuration, not to mention drivers, conflicting software, anti-virus; it’s a minefield.

Sure, there are bugs in the game and the performance needs some work. I’m sure the MSFS team have new KPI’s now switching from “release this” to “fix this”. Before new features can be added, they will need to fix the base platform first or it will compound the problems.

They have announced they are committed to MSFS for years to come, it’s not just a game, it’s a platform and it will only get better.

31 Likes

I’m really disappointed with the reaction from some people on various platforms but hopefully they’ll calm down and see how great the product is, and will continue to be as it grows.

11 Likes

Unacceptable unfinished game. Trash.

6 Likes

This sim has potential but I am disappointed that by the decision to release it now. A few months of extra alpha and beta were clearly needed.

9 Likes