It depends a lot on what you’re doing in the sim. Flying the F-14 at low level and it really needs higher FPS. When things are moving quickly thats when you appreciate the extra smoothness of higher FPS.
Flying an A320 I’m less bothered about higher FPS. 30 - 40 will do me fine.
I don’t like anything below 30FPS. It becomes noticeable very quickly.
I play in 4K with an RTX3080 and a 5600X. All settings maxed out. After SU5 everything is in a pretty good stable position with FPS. I just wish it translated to VR. Thats where literally every frame counts.
For me, below 27fps is a deal breaker. 30fps would be fine if it was always 30fps. My system is such that I use the default medium setting with LOD and TOD (or whatever they are) at 200% and clouds on high with my max frame rate in the Nvidia settings at 36. That’s as good as it gets for me. It looks good and other than panning around, is pretty smooth and stays at or near 36fps for takeoff and landings in the TBM with a few exceptions that drive the FPS way down for some reason.
If you have to you have to, but I think 30fps as a max frame rate isn’t really enough because it only takes a loss of 3-4 FPS to make everything pretty jerky. Even at a modest 36 FPS, I can lose nearly 10 FPS and still be ok. If my max was at 60 then I’d have a LOT of room for frame loss.
It seems like anything past 35 or 40 FPS in this sim is more for headroom for tough areas as opposed to how much smoother 60 FPS is
No, 30fps is minimum. I can live with it and it’s perfectly playable but fortunately i get more than that. 30fps only in bigger airports and it drops to 25fps sometimes which makes playing extremely hard because it’s getting hard to click on things and turn the knobs.
Am i happy with 30fps? No. But the game is still enjoyable at that framerate. But when it goes to 50 or 60 it feels so smooth, easy to click things and just feels more realistic and immersive.
I am satisfied with 30 FPS, but wish the sim could maintain it when in large cities or busy airports. I am more disturbed by diminished texture quality and inconsistent clarity. I have moved the sliders and all that, and even reduced my resolution down in order to shift those resources. In a sense, wouldn’i it be possible for the sim to continually regulate itself to shift and balance FPS and graphics quality during a flight. I thought that is what it was supposed to do, if programmed right.
I’ve never thought about turning down the render scale because I didn’t see the need for it until now, but I’ll try it out tonight. Perhaps the flight simulator experience will be even better if I can use the “ultra” preset with a lower scaling.
Me neither but fir whatever reason im silky smooth now at every airport 4k ultra…even when i swith the storms…i had only flown once for 3 minutes after su5 because of the lights issue and dint touch it again til yesterday but its amazing now
Oh I’m not looking at framerate, I’m looking at the jerkyness at close objects. Merely using the framerate to workout what I need to aim for to eliminate said jerkyness.
Ha no, I don’t expect 60 from it, I’m pretty impressed it can do 30FPS in Ultra in 4k though. My point was more about what people consider an acceptable minimum.
I agree, I find myself having to adjust the graphics settings when flying over built up areas vs bush trips and landing challenges etc.
I ran 60 for a bit and it bounced between 50 and 60 with some 40s. The constant fluctuations and GPU running at 100% finally got to me. I shifted to 30 and haven’t even noticed the diff.
Back in the P3D days (only a year or so ago!), on a bad day (ie flying around London) I might get 4 - 6 FPS, occasionally 10. That was unplayable. On a good day (ie not near London!) I’d get 20-25fps, and that was decently playable.
Now admittedly I’ve upgraded my hardware some (1080Ti → 2080Ti), but in MSFS I’m getting 30-45fps, and apart from the occasional stutter/freeze, I’m finding it smooth as silk. At least compared with what I was used to. This is on a 5yo i7-6700k. Most settings at Ultra.