Is it possible to eliminate the "new features" that are "advertised" during startup - unless they're really new?

Greetings!

Ref: A wishlist posting

Additionally, I believe that I have seen something like this before, but cannot find it.  Please move as appropriate.

Issue:

Please look at the following screen-shots of MSFS starting up on my system:

1. The initial startup screen after the launcher’s splash screen

2. The three “new content” advertising screens:

And thence to the main program screen:

Note that the three “new features” screens persist long after these features are not new.

Also note that the first screen, (the “40th anniversary” splash screen), is not what I am objecting to, it’s the three following screens with “new” information that is long and far away from being “new” - and it just slows down the loading time.

Is there a way to indicate that yes, I know all about that, such that these notices disappear unless and until there is really something else new?

Thanks!

P.S.
Second annoyance:
These advertising/notifications don’t tell you WHAT they’re talking about.  WHAT is the “new study-level aircraft” - WHAT are the “new activities” - and so on.  If we have to see this stuff, it would be nice to know what they’re talking about.

4 Likes

First Question = No.
Those stay until the next update unfortunately.
But perhaps you’d like to start a Wish List item for this, if there isn’t one already?
Not every wish list will ever be implemented ( can’t please everybody ).

Second question= Everyone’s annoyance’s are different and again, maybe a wish list item to start off.
But also note that info is available:
Every update has a link to Release Notes as the update is running, lower right side during install.
Every update has Release Notes posted and retained News & Annoucements .
The bottom left on msfs main page under Release Notes (most recent only).
Also Home Page, Twitch, YouTube, FAQ / Zendesk, Discord, Facebook, Twitter etc.

3 Likes

They are just shown while you’re game is loading. How is removing them going to speed anything up? Your game will still take the same amount of time to load unless you are insinuating that Asobo put timers in place to make sure the screens stay up for a certain amount of time regardless of the loading process

7 Likes

I always think of things like these as loading screens. If anyone here plays Elite Dangerous, that tunnel you travel through is a loading screen, pretty to look at but masquerades the fact that the system you are jumping to is being loaded.

Those MSFS startup screens could be removed, but you’d probably be staring at a black screen instead. If that black screen just had the word “Loading” instead, I guarantee someone would complain that there wasn’t something pretty to look at while waiting. :wink:

5 Likes

I’m not talking about the loading screen itself.  (they need somewhere to put the progress bar, 'eh?)

What I am talking about are all the “new this, bespoke that, study-level the-other-thing”

. . .pop-ups that have been there since “Columbus Crossed the Ocean Blue” - and my question was, since we’ve already seen them for at least three zillion times, can they be suppressed until there’s a NEW, something new to show us?

I don’t know if it will, or won’t, speed up loading times.  I was just curious if there was an option to dismiss them.

I’m not trying to complain or whine,   MSFS is a gigantic piece of work and it has more nooks and crannies than a toasted pair of Thomas’s English Muffins for breakfast and I don’t expect any one person to know everything.  Especially me.  So, I asked.

I don’t understand how anyone can be bothered by something they only look at for 5 minutes maybe.

I mean…that’s kind of up to the individual to research the new content. And given Asobo has been very vocal about what that content is, they shouldn’t have to include a blurb about it on the loading screens for every person incapable of a google search. In fact i would think that would make it longer to load. You’d have to be purposefully ignoring Asobo to not know what the new content is.

2 Likes

Before exiting the sim, turn off ‘online functionality’ in the options.

This will by-pass the update check as well as the ‘new’ features screen.

Also knocks about a minute off the start-up time (in my case).

Once sim is loaded, re-enable.

4 Likes

As an MSFS NOOB, I saw “checking for updates”, then “World Update XII: New Zealand”, with a blue progress bar, then some giant exclamation marks that I mistook for problem indicators in the “updating” that I mistook for happening every single time I started the app.

Why does this matter? I spent two days and involved several folks from the forum trying to figure out how to get “the update” to stop happening, including uninstalling and re-installing before @Jimrh1993 helped me understand these are just screens they chose to offer for my enlightenment while they load up this behemoth simulator.

1 Like

No option to dismiss them. They’re just images, so they’re not going to slow down your startup in any meaningful way. In fact, you can find them in your fs-base folder somewhere. I’ve never tried, but you could probably replace them with whatever you want. Although, the next time the sim has an update, it will overwrite it with whatever new images they put there.

1 Like

If we found a way to remove those images, we’d be sitting there looking at black screen for <1 second less. :wink:

1 Like