Is MSFS what you expected?

Does MSFS meet or exceed or fall short of your original expectation? Please don’t take what others say personally or question what thy post everyone has a different opinion on MSFS what ever they post.

2 Likes

Yes it mostly met my expectation. The world with its atmosphere is fantastic.

However, there are two main issues that need to be solved for my use: It must support multi views and the Icing effect is unrealistic severe. (I believe the icing issue can be selected off after SU4).

I believe FS2020 is the best platform for simmer in the years to come. But they should fix the above items and open the architecture more so 3rd part developers can make more detailed and accurate flight models.

8 Likes

It’s way more than I expected. Still plenty of room for improvements but hey, give them a chance. :star_struck:

15 Likes

Depends on each update! The second and third made me want to give up…but the last one, including the hotfix, changed everything to me! Now I feel pleasure in play, much more smoother and stable. Sometimes I face some CTD and lightining, but overall, for me, it is good!

I’ll get back to you in a a few years. In no hurry – it will be what it will be.

3 Likes

Hmm, not quite yet. I expected more from the “Live Traffic” feature, there was more promised than what we got in the end.

About all the rest, lets say this:
I am so long into flight simming already, i never expected MSFS to be complete and polished on Day one.
I knew from the beginning of the Alpha that this will be a journey to get there. Also fo me it was crystal clear that the included default planes will not be what im looking for.

But: i have the CRJ which has all the details i would expect from a 3rd party airliner.Sure, there is PMDG and FSLABS who will go deeper but it is as “realistically” as i need it. I can fly online on VATSIM and i have (sub par) traffic rendering the other planes on VATSIM. We have already a big amount of high quality 3rd party Airports to fly to. the weather engine does its job and the performance vs the visuals is better than in any sim ive ever tried.

So, yes, im happy and can enjoy the sim to its fullest. But there are still things missing that we are used to from other sims and for sure there is lots of optimisation and tweaking to be done in every aspect of the sim.

So, yes, it is basically EXACTLY as i expected it. Good, but not finished yet.

2 Likes

The graphic is way beyond what I expected. Especially light is super and that you can actually recognize your home city from the air. The Deluxe Airport and extra Aircrafts however wasnt worth the higher price though. It is a bit annoying with the issues with every update but getting better and better I think. I am impressed by the high quality mods the community has already developed. I hope for the ATC and AI-live traffic to be improved. Looking forward to more high quality aircrafts. The default aircrafts are not that flyable to be honest. Anyway to conclude, I like it more and more!

As it was a complete surprise when it was announced, FS completely surpassed any expectation I had. Knowing what FSX was like, meaning no full blown in depth sim, this absolutely nailed it for me.

I’m having fun, that is all what counts in my book. For “in depth”, I go to the real thing.

4 Likes

No.

That is the short answer.
It exceeded expectations graphically out the box, but removed so many core features that overall the product did not meet what I expected.

The basics that have been standard in every version of Microsoft Flight Sims, like replays, multi-monitor support and robust training in Deluxe version.

Then, the disappointment in FPS, IFR, ATC…

No, expected basics to be there.

Is VFR amazing visually… yes.

5 Likes

Get the Basics right first,
I have problems with the joystick. So revert back to fsx settings far easy.
The sim is Excellent. Very good value for money.

75% satisfied of msfs

What im not satisfied right now is the quality of the deluxe/premium planes & the ai traffic & ATC

Im lucky perf wise i dont any problem, nor problems during installation/updates

Yeah for sure, the graphics and terrain are actually better than expected. I knew it would take a while to reach perfection tho

1 Like

I decided to buy MSFS when the US world update II came. I had been reading this forum as a guest a few times, seen the picture threads… so I knew a bit what to expect in terms of scenery.

Above expectation: calendar, air, weather, winds… and sound. It really “felt” like flying around… fun to try to find familiar places. Google Earth++ feeling. Second thing… aircraft. Amazing. The last sim I had was FS2004 which was basically drone flight with some vertical airspeed limit on landing. In MSFS you can land on one wheel… Third thing far above my expectations: openess of the SDK. I’m a DX-11 hobbyist. Now I don’t need to program my “viewer” anymore and I can focus on learning Blender to actually make models.

Downsides ? Few… installation and updating speed is 20th century. I understood the complaints about MP stuttering and liveries when I switched on MP for a few days… In the first few months, before UK update I really had trouble controlling the rudder. And I sometimes feel a lucky man, not having all these issues people talk about. Every update - especially the last one - feels like Russian Roulette: will it still work after I click Update ? :shushing_face:

Can you expand on that?

I expected it to have accurate Models and real world liveries. But what we got is a worse AI system than FS9 had… a big step back in the completely wrong direction. If they would just have used the same Traffic-system as before, it would have been much better than this…

Are we talking about “Live” or “AI” traffic?

I am pretty sure that as licencing agreements get nailed down we will see more liveries and models.

I should have written “AI Traffic”, i meant both of them. AI and Live-Traffic.

@ecdcrew I keep seeing people complain about IFR in MSFS, but here I am, happily IFR flying in everything from a 172 to a Bonanza, Baron, CJ4, and all the way up to an A320 (modified from the base) in IFR, with no problems at all, save the u-turn bug which I solved by using a third party ATC app, so I’m genuinely confused as to what the IFR issue even is.

Can you elaborate?

After being a flight simmer for many, many years, old days of Apple IIc monochrome lines through all other developments, it was quite fulfilling to see imagery and graphics that looked like real world and not just cartoonish scenery, regardless of how well done. I have always preferred smaller aircraft flying around 1500 ft. so yes, I am quite pleased. When I first began flying around, I thought, “Finally! Yes!” Of course there have always been issues with development, those who have been part of the flight simulator community know this. Yes it gets frustrating from time to time. But it’s kind of easy to identify the complainers whose expectations are centered around the mentality/philosophy of “paying for a product, etc.” Versus getting involved with a community project that we all take part in the development.

4 Likes

Just for clarification…
There are 3 kinds of traffic in the sim. Only one is a hold over from previous sims. “AI” traffic.
I bring this up because we often have discussions where “simmers” don’t want to turn off AI Traffic to improve their stability and performance, using the argument that it ruins the “immersion”. I am waiting for air traffic in the real world to recover before I pass too much judgement on the state of “Live” traffic.