Is the HP Reverb g2 worth buying?

XP11 actually in my opinion right now is much better for VR than MSFS2020.
[/quote]

###################################

Yes, that is an opinion I would agree with. XPlane 11 is quite a bit better than FS2020 in VR at the moment. I am hoping that there will be an update soon which will improve things a bit :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

HP here in Australia are selling off the G1 for roughly half the price of the G2.

Really like my G2 once I got used to using it, despite some of the shortcomings.

If you believe the amount of complaints on some of the threads/forums … there should be a bunch of ‘nearly new’ units being sold off cheap second hand :laughing:

G2
Pros: Sharp in the sweetspot, probably best in the market in this price range
Cons: The sweetspot is small, so the difference between the sharp center and the blurry rest is more pronounced vs. other headsets. Not so important in classic games (BeatSaber, HL Alyx) where details are typically close/big and most of the action happens in the sweetspot. Very important in the sim, small details in the scenery far away.
Neutral: To benefit from the high resolution you need to have fast PC.

1 Like

So… very roughly about the same price as the 64gb 0culus Quest 2 then. Interesting. I wonder which of the two HMDs is the better buy.

1 Like

What is so bad about the G2 then? I have the OQ2 but I thought the G2 had a better resolution and was a better HMD. Just wondering why some people are not happy with it. :slightly_smiling_face:

All sorts of things depending who you talk to. Many minor, others not so much.

Seems to be partly the resolution is actually too good and people cannot get the frame rates in MSFS though that is not really the fault of the G2.

I have seen complaints about FOV and sweet spot and some people seem to believe you need to be closer to the lens but that causes chromatic aberrations that needs a registry hacks to fix. Also something about leads breaking? I think that was the G2. Also in non flight sim use cases the tracking apparently is not all it should be.

Though by all accounts it is good in less demanding sims and some people seem happy with it.

1 Like

Pick up a second hand G1 still great and worth the money.

1 Like

I think it’s mainly the FOV and small in-focus area that seems to be causing the heartache with some. I found I had to ‘learn’ just how to wear the headset to make the most of the focal area, but once I got the hang of it, it’s just fine (and I suspect that the glasses I need to wear are as much of an issue…).

I don’t have enough experience with other makes to critique; but once I got my set up tuned - I’m very happy with the G2. (i7 9700, RTX2080Ti)

1 Like

When I first got the G2 thoughts of returning it did cross my mind. I didn’t like the comfort, the FOV seemed even smaller than the Rift S, and the sweet spot seemed very small. I worked through all the issues and am absolutely loving it now.

For the comfort I had to add counter weights to the back strap

The small sweet spot issue went away when I sorted the comfort out and got the headset sitting on my head correctly, no issues with it at all now.

The best change though was to buy some replacement face foam from Amazon, designed for the HTC Vive and fix them using sticky velcro patches. 4 Pack 11 mm Pu Leather Foam Face Replacement Memory: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
This increased the FOV by about 20 degrees, a HUGE improvement!!

You might want to check out what this guy said comparing Q2 with G2: QUEST 2 OR REVERB G2? LETS SETTLE THIS! MSFS VR - YouTube

1 Like

Hey Cpt.

Judging from the links, it appears Index is a little more fleshed out?

1 Like

Nothing is black and white, but having both the G2 and the Index I must say the experience is not just higher resolution panels.

• G2 tracking in FS2020 is constantly lagging behind, Index is instantaneous and spot on.
  • G2 controllers can’t rival with Knuckles (although for FS2020 it is a moot point, there is no controller support)
  • G2 ecosystem/tools is like everything MSFT: they know better than you and are only offering pre-configured options and a few bread crumbs for the user, Valve ecosystem is open with lots of 3rd party tools and SteamVR own tools allowing you to adjust and tweak a lot of items.
  • G2 controller mappings are not all working, there is hardly a game without Index controller support.
  • G2 tracking is shifting the ref point (just rotating the head moves the view point), the Index is tracking both rotation and position consistently.
  • WMR reddit is not very active, HP Reverb reddit is littered with problems and HP intervene just for PR show (VoodooImaxx was very active and helping prior the G2 launch though), Index reddit is very active with lots of useful infos and help.
  • G2 headset cracks and squeaks whenever you move it, Index plastic/straps are 4x thicker and don’t bend.

Sure the Index resolution is lower but I must say when trying 200% TAA it was nearly as legible as the G2 in the center (my 2070S can’t cope with 200% though). This was the main thing I’ve noticed in the end:

• G2 center (clarity disk) is small but high def compared with Index, but the effective perceived resolution falls off quickly off center to the point at maybe 40% off center you’re seeing less details than Index, with a lot of blur.
  • Index resolution is uniform nearly edge-to-edge (for me up to about 85% off center).
  • In turn, I have more resolution in the overall image the Index is showing than with the G2, which leads to naturally turn the eyes, not the head, to focus your attention to. It just feels natural.

Hard choices…

PS: I’ve forgotten: I can achieve the following HFOV:

• G2 with gasket: 85 deg
  • G2 without gasket (eyes close to the lenses): 98 deg
  • Index with gasket: 105 deg

I didn’t measure VFOV but to put it simply, the Index topmost is at the limit of putting my eyes up, the bottommost is close to my eyes down, whereas the G2 is severely shorter vertically.

In addition, the Index is using 5 deg canted displays whereas the G2 is nearly parallel. I didn’t think about this too much before but in practice, it makes the Index image enveloping you more with a very small black edge to the external sides (between the panel image and your peripheral vision), whereas the G2 black edge to the sides is much wider and contributes a lot to the “binocular” view.

Last but not least, I don’t know how they manage to fail this one, but the G2 image size is noticeably smaller than the Index. It doesn’t mean much, but with the addition of the binocular sensation, it just makes you feel the world and the environment is smaller, whereas in the Index it feels life-like (I believe they are spot on vis-a-vis the human eye focal length and conveying a natural scale). In turn, when flying with one of the other, I always feel like “looking at things” with the G2, and “being there” with the Index.

PS: for info about the physical HMD FOVs:
HMD Geometry Database | Collected geometry data from some commercially available VR headsets.

6 Likes

Very good write up. Thank you very much for this!

1 Like

You’re welcome! This is just my experience with it, and I didn’t even tainted this with the other problem I’ve with the G2:

PSA: Reverb G2 small sweet spots, observations and solutions - Virtual Reality (VR) / General - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

NB: I’ve added a few more info in my post above.

Yes, it’s amazing

Dear Captain

On Reverb G2 the difference between the very clear and quite small sweetspot (even with the mods bringing the lenses closer to the eyes) is uncomfortable for me. I find myself often repositioning my headset to see better either the instruments on the dashboard or the scenery over it or through the left side window (which is even further from the sweetspot on G2) .

Assumptions:

• usage - mostly sims:
    — 60% MFS2020 (mostly GA planes, VFR flying, as I’m RW PPL(A) pilot and use the sim in winter to remain “current”),
    — 20% DCS,
    — 10% Elite Dangerous,
    — 10% “games” like HL Alyx,
  • PC:
    — CPU: i7-7700K OC 4.6 GHz (not the newest, but still quite strong single core perf.),
    — GPU: RTX 3070,
  • my vision is not perfect, a bit of myopia (between -0.5 and -1.0) so no matter what I look at is a bit blurry, but still not bad enough to force me to wear glasses in daily life (when not flying in RW),
  • I really regret being unable to bring to the VR cockpit my RW nav app - SkyDemon with nav maps and the option to make notes with Wacom tablet on my kneeboard - WMR OpenXR doesn’t support VRK or OVR Toolkit, with Index (Steam OpenXR) OVR Toolkit should be possible

Questions:

1. Assuming you would have only Reverb G2, would you sell it (e.g. ebay) and buy Valve Index instead?

2. What about the screendoor effect on Index?

You are probably leaning towards Index, with the last chance for Reverb G2 depending on the FoV mod:

(I ordered it as well, expected next week).

I already have:

it helps, but not as much as I hoped for, also for me it produces more eyestrain resulting from having the eyes really close to the panels (accommodation-vergence issue?). It requires cleaning the lenses more often, as it easily catches grease from your hair when you move the headset up. So for casual gaming (HLA - most of the action in the dark, blurry off-centre area not so distracting) I stick with the original gasket.

Yokingly: Maybe the solution to the Reverb G2 should be putting a piece of foil in the sweetspot to make it more blurry, to reduce the difference between the sharp centre and the blurry rest?

1 Like

I’m also a RTX 2060 user. I think above comparisons are less meaningful for such middle spec computers. Even you cannot adopt the maximum resolution of cheaper Quest 2…

I don’t have a Index, nor do I have a G2. But with the G1, I hardly have any problems with the peripheral field of view. In the cockpit view, I can see the instruments quite clearly from left to right. Is the Valve lens in the G2 such a deterioration?
I find it difficult to follow those who believe that they can achieve a similar sharpness with half as many pixels (given they use no lower than 100% resolution).

…where you gonna buy it from ? as they none around !