PSA: Reverb G2 small sweet spots, observations and solutions

@JALxml @AIRBORNE4795 @stekusteku

I should have clarified the point you’re raising about the white text in my screenshots appearing fuzzy and this is just due to the way I took the photo and unfortunately distracting from the points I wanted to highlight. For this reason I’ll try differently using a screenshot of the DCS altimeter seen in the through-the-lens video.

This is what I see in the G2:

1. Blurry + No CA

When I align the eyes in the sweet spot:

NB: It is blurry because I can’t focus on the display distance and only if I force my eye to see closer it is becoming sharper, but there is no or minimal CA visible.

2. Sharp + No CA

When I use +1 correction glasses:

NB: It is just what I need to add in order to be able to focus on the gauge without effort on the eyes, whereas I normally need +2.5 reading glasses.

3. Sharp + CA

When I look from slightly above or below the sweet spot (needed for point 4.):

NB: It is sharp but with chromatic aberrations. These CA are due to not being aligned to the lens center and looking to the gauge in a slanted way (see my attempt to picture the “slanted” way above), that is I’m for example looking at the gauge with my eye above the center of the lens, with the gauge center below the lens center. However in looking this way the gauge is sharp and I suspect it is because with the eye at this position against the lens, I’m seeing the image at a difference focal length.

4. Sharp + No CA

When I look from slightly above or below the sweet spot with distortion correction using the registry keys:

NB: The registry keys are distorting the red and blue channels separately in order to make them join together with the green channel, eliminating the fringes and producing white lines again. These are undocumented Dwm registry keys (REG_DWORD):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm\ExtendedComposition\ColorDistortion
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm\ExtendedComposition\ColorDistortionB
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm\ExtendedComposition\ColorDistortionG
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm\ExtendedComposition\ColorDistortionR

I set ColorDistortion to 1 (enable) and I change Blue value to 0.995 (ColorDistortionB: 995) and Red value to 1.005 (ColorDistortionB: 1005) for my G2 in order to transform image 3 with the fringes to 4 without.

NB: Any change is immediately effective when the presence sensor activates. In other words: remove headset, edit registry values, put the headset back, see the results!

1 Like