My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

You might want to start you own discussion because it is off topic. Furthermore it is already discussed and only a “search” away to finding it: [TIP] Add a copilot to your aircraft (and passengers too!)

1 Like

Is this stuttering or juddering? the later shows in the form of “double” image when translating the head, otherwise when rotating only reprojection should compensate. The only way to eliminating juddering is rendering at the same fps as the panels hz (i.e. 1 panel refresh = 1 new rendered view), or using motion smoothing which is creating new views extrapolating existing pixels between 2 panel refreshes.

Yes - Then I guess its juddering because it happens only when I move my head. (Sorry, important hint).
The juddering happens when I turn the head left to right inside the cockpit. My FPS seems to be very good. It´s between 35 and 42 (Dev Option FPS Counter) with high settings for almost everything. Tuning Render options doesn´t seem to have an effect with this specific issue. Even when the judder happens, the framerate is well above 30.
I will try later if this is only when rotating and not translating. But i think, Yes - only when rotation left to right, up and down.

For information: I use TAA70, OXR100, didnt try any other for a while.

1 Like

I was making some test this morning, I would like to have your opinion @CptLucky8

This is the resolution number in the sim when you try different setting with OXR and MSFS2020, some people report to have more smoothness with OXR65 and TAA120 I think I found why…

This is the different setting and the number of pixel rendering by the game.

OXR = 50 TAA 100 = 2232 x 2184 = 4 874 688
OXR = 60 TAA 100 = 2444 x 2392 = 5 846 048
OXR = 70 TAA 100 = 2640 x 2584 = 6 821 760
OXR = 80 TAA 100 = 2824 x 2764 = 7 805 536
OXR = 90 TAA 100 = 2996 x 2932 = 8 784 272
OXR = 100 TAA 100 = 3156 x 3092 = 9 758 352

OXR = 100 TAA 50 = 1578 x 1546 = 2 439 588
OXR = 100 TAA 60 = 1893 x 1855 = 3 511 515
OXR = 100 TAA 70 = 2209 x 2164 = 4 780 276
OXR = 100 TAA 80 = 2524 x 2473 = 6 241 852
OXR = 100 TAA 90 = 2840 x 2782 = 7 900 880

So if you use OXR = 65 TAA 120 = 3052 x 2990 = 9 125 480, it is sligthly under OXR =100 TAA = 100 , it is the reason why some people got best result, because you save 632,872 pixel to process.

You can see a good difference using OXR = 100 and TAA < 100 VS TAA = 100 and OXR < 100

6 Likes

G2 arrived yesterday
2070 super - 457
9600k @ 5ghz.

Eager to try some of these settings. Came from a Vive and Wow is it clear! Now to dial in the settings again. @CptLucky8 @Dervakon, et al. Thanks for the hard work here.

Let me know if i can help you test anything as i have a pretty similar setup.

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind words!

Actually there is something you might help me with since you’ll have a fresh look with the G2. I have created a topic about small sweet spot and my observations with my own G2 where I believe there is either a calibration problem, or a hardware defect, otherwise the G2 optics could be designed in a certain way explaining why there are many reports of small sweet spots.

To get started you might want to read this short “to the point” illustration of the problem and the “workarounds” and post over there what do you see comparatively:

PSA: Reverb G2 small sweet spots, observations and solutions - Virtual Reality (VR) / General - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

You might want to also read the OP in the aforementioned discussion for more details about what it is about.

Just tried again and have new things to say:
Translating or rotating the head doesn´t make a difference. When I look at the instruments, it´s juddering, when looking outside, it´s butter…
I use TAA70 and OXR100 right now. When I change it to TAA100 and OXR70, its not as good.
Motion reprojection leads up to a less sharp image for me. Don´t know why. It helps for the cockpit juddering but overall it´s not a good experience for me.

Also I´ve tried OXR65 and TAA120 but its very stuttery for me. No way. for now I´ll stick with TAA70 and OXR100 with motion repro off.

1 Like

I found setting low latency mode to ultra helps with looking around the cockpit.

1 Like

Okay, I´ll try, thanks! I have it enabled “On” but not on ultra.

Edit: Tried this out now - Not really a difference for me.
Just compared to a Cessna 152 with no Glass Cockpit instruments. I have no judders here. Its really just glass cockpits and for example, a cockpit with just an GNS530 is enough to cause micro judders.

1 Like

I believe at this stage it would be better waiting for the next update and see whether they’ve improved on the CoherentGT JS/HTML integration into FS2020.

1 Like

What is a “judder”?

@CptLucky8, does your mama know you talk like that??

1 Like

this is a judder :slight_smile:

jjuuddeerr

1 Like

The term motion smoothing has been used as well as Reprojection, arent they the same thing, slightly confused?

Yes, I believe that reprojection is the accurate term. I sometime use “motion smoothing” to refer to reprojection…

1 Like

These are not the same and I sometimes confuse myself, but in short reprojection is compensating for render-to-photon delay (which inherently shows as black edges when turning the head fast), and motion smoothing is creating new and inter-mixed frames (like Sports Mode on the TV). This is all better explained in Alex Vlachos videos and slide show in the OP.

Sometimes you can call both “Motion Smoothing” anyhow, because I believe the 1st one (reprojection) can’t be disabled in any case as it is essential to VR rendering. This didn’t occur to me before why 120Hz or 144Hz is better with the Index but now that the latest SteamVR is working much better, I can see why. With a higher refresh rate, the VR API is “projecting” the same frame more often which in effect is reducing the apparent stroboscopic illusion you get with a lower refresh rate. It is really impressive when you’re comparing the Index at 80Hz and 120Hz when in the first case on violent rolls looking over the wing the scenery horizon, you can see a “ghost gap” between the view where it was and the view where it is displaying now, whereas at 120Hz you barely notice it because it is displaying more often the same frame in between. It has the effect to also reducing juddering because with more of the same frame displaying, the gap between the contrasted line for example is shorter and therefore less noticeable.

In turn, it makes any comment such as “anyhow no game can render at 144Hz” moot, because the main point is not rendering at 144Hz, but to re-project 30Hz or 45Hz frames more often. I never thought about this this way before!

1 Like

Ah excellent I think i see now. At one point i thought turning my goggles to 60hz mode (G2) made an improvement, i guess its fair to say that 90hz should win over 60hz in that regard then, i should switch back and re-test i guess. I also dont turn off reprojection, just cant get past the ghosting.

In the Nvidia control panel why is enabling vsync to fast better than off? does the G2 need vsync?

It doesn’t always (for me at least):
My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR) - #2 by CptLucky8

But I would now take this with a grain of salt: there are new NVidia drivers coming up, new FS2020 update coming up, new Win10 updates coming up, and this might change it all.

It might be the reason it is helping in VR is not related to VR but to the 2D window displaying the VR views. It could be the case if FS2020 code is somewhat “waiting” for the 2D window refreshing (D3D Present) and would not make progress on the VR rendering side during this time (either because it is coded this way - wrongly or because there is no other way - or because it is a DX11 quirk).

@CptLucky8, are we expecting something today? It is Tuesday after all…