Is the HP Reverb g2 worth buying?

All of the WMR devices use cameras on the headset to create a mesh of the area around you. That is why lighting affects it. Also, the controllers have to be in the camera view for it to be tracked. That’s why they have the rings of lights on each controller. The advantage is that there does not need to be an external device to track your hand movements so it reduces cost.

The disadvantage is that WMR won’t track your controller out of camera view like when it’s behind your head.

Same here…just ordered a low profile mask. The F mod with Odyssey + foam cover does not work good for me. Sweet spot ridiculously small so the fov with the original gasket. So will give it another try otherwise will rma. Mind you the replacement gasket does not come cheep! and will loose out if does not work.

1 Like

as of today , all vr sets ■■■■, better wait a few years.

I don’t know about the tracking. I just prefer not using controllers since I have a yoke, throttle quadrant, and rudder pedals.
PC Specs
10 core I9 10900K 5.3GHz, Intel Z490 Chipset, USB 3.2, 128Gb RAM, Nvidia 3030 24GB, 4TB NVME SSD, HP Reverb G2, HoneyComb Alpha yoke, Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Logitech Flight Rudder Pedals

Defo yes, had a q2 for a few days but sent it back for its useless tracking and connection issues amongst other things.
Got g2 set up earlier and it’s completely different even straight out of the box with a test flight straight on 100 render scale, the little bit of stuttering went after knocking that down to 70, may get to higher that I just wanted to fly with my new toy. Anyway, better colours, sound, clarity, sharpness resulted in being able to see runways from a whole lot farther away than the q2, easily read the screens without zooming or sitting forward without glasses on!!! Buy one.

Im using rechargables. I havent noticed much difference. Maybe, idk…

There are rechargeables working at 1.5 V.
https://reverb.danol.cz/battery-buying-guide/

Thanks., will check it out!:slight_smile:

another one making you wondering why they just didn’t build controllers using what 99% of users would most likely use: standard rechargeable batteries (1.2V). Someone even posted on reddit a while back how to mod the G1 controllers with a simple electronic component so that they can work with 1.2v… Kind of a .20cent if not less expensive in large bulk quantities component.

I was going to buy a G2 last week. Fortunately, my prepaid card had a problem and my order was stopped. So I read the comments on Amazon and cancelled the order. They are even selling the box without the controllers for the price of the full configuration. Many are complaining of cable breakage and months time to get a replacement. I can’t figure out what is going on, for now I am continuing with my Oculus Rift S. Although XP is definitely better than MSFS in VR.

1 Like

Just an update: Today I notice that all the negative comments related to the product quality have disappeared, only the comments related to the absence of the controllers in the box have been left.

This was my first VR and I tell you I wish I could have refund and if this is what VR is better to wait for a few year more . Night mare

If you had developed your message a little, we could have already known what you had as a PC , and what you criticized the hp Reberv G2.

If you owned a Quest 2 which I have and can no longer return would you say it is still worth buying it.
I have a 3080 card so that is not the root of the blurry problem.
I would hate to buy and not find a big improvement as it costs about twice as much
Perhaps I just need an eye test and prescription inserts .

It actually can track the controllers when out-of-sight by reverting to the accelerometers. It is effective for a short amount of time. After, the imprecision accumulates and the positioning becomes very imprecise.

But, in normal use, the hands rarely end-up totally out-of-sight for long periods and this is why it’s never a significant issue with WMR. Far less than having to install and maintain emitters in a room. My opinion.

Yes, WMR will extrapolate using the IMUs, but it still lacks fidelity compared to room mounted emitters. I have had two WMR headsets and both worked very well. The good thing about G2 is it has side mounted cameras to help pick up the controllers even if they are not in your direct FOV.

Still have the G1 for sale

1 Like

Hi, I just bought a G2 to upgrade from a Quest 2 and I have a 2080 so I regret it, i cannot push it to a better image quality than the quest 2 so I’m returning it since I don’t want to add another 2000$ to upgrade my 2080…I honestly think the G2 needs a 3090 to fully enjoy MSFS. But the sharpness is there…in the center! hehe

1 Like

Thanks for that information.
I didn’t think it would need more GPU power than a Quest 2.

Thanks also for the info. Won’t be buying a 3090. Maybe a 3080 when stocks and price more reasonable. Having a 2070 S I will most likely stick with the Quest 2 for a couple of years.