Is there a GPS obsession?

In your “non-GPS” flying, I assume you have a “non-glass” cockpit.

Two Navigation Radios tuned to two VORs and maybe one of the VORs is the ILS.

You have total concentration on these two radios to find the radial of each to know where you are and then watch each
needle move as you travel to follow your flight plan.
Then watch the GS needle as it descends to get to the runway.

You aren’t doing anything but sitting and watching these two radios. Flying the needles.

With GPS, I’m watching the scenery. The AP can worry about those needles.

3 Likes

You have lost me. Why would I have to have a non glass cockpit to do some VOR flying?
Every plane must be capable of VOR navigation.
This doesnt describe VOR navigation at all.
If this was so then even when GPS didnt exist according to you, pilots just sat and watched needles.
That clearly wasnt the case. VOR navigation requires a great deal more pilot input and actions then GPS flying.
But that isnt even the point. Why remove it?8

1 Like

Yes sometimes .
Auto pilot was around long before GPS.
Of course there are different kinds of autopilot so I dont see the connection.

Maybe you could explain that comment a bit further as I dont see the connection, considering ATC is Sim generated.
Why would keeping VOR/DME stations in the SIM invalidate ATC?

A reminder to keep this thread civil and focussed purely on the GPS discussion

2 Likes

Because, I don’t understand what you mean by VOR flying & VOR navigation.

A glass cockpit is based on GPS.
There are no Nav OBS Radios like in a non-glass cockpit.

That’s news to me.

To me as well!

I edited my reply above to OBS Radio.

There’s no such thing as an OBS radio. The Garmin units have two integrated nav radios capable of receiving VOR signals, and displaying up to two VOR signals or LOC signals. There is a separate GPS receiver as part of the system. In addition to numerous other units that cover airspeed, VS, electronic DG, etc, etc.
Regards

2 Likes

FWIW, I fly with the GPS because it provides a path to my final destination, even if I don’t follow it exactly. :wink:

Versatile to support this type of historical flying, absolutely. Anyone could create a historical VORs navdata addon, so that part is covered.

It should, however, remain as faithful to the real world in the base sim for a number of reasons:

• Available nav stations should represent the current reality so pilots do not build bad habits using nav stations they cannot in real life
  • Available practices should represent the current reality so pilots are exposed to the same ratio of techniques that they would be in current flight instruction
  • Extra nav stations would also be available as GPS waypoints and so may make available routes which are presently impossible
  • Having extra nav stations would make routing with online ATC difficult due to non-matching data (VORs are generally main points along airways, and this could disrupt airway definitions)
3 Likes

You are correct.

There are 2 VOR receivers and the LOC 1 and LOC 2 indicators.

My reference was to a OBS radio that used to be called NAV1 and NAV2.
Vor

Ok, sorry about that. somewhere we switched conversation to the GNS units. Anyway I think we’re on the same basic track.
Regards

1 Like

I really recommend the analogue mod, even just for the better cockpit and flight dynamics it brings. And it works with NoPod too!
There’s a mod on flightsim.to that allows them each to work with eachother.

Thanks for this recommendation. Looks like you know what you are talking about. I will give this a go today.

1 Like

This seems to be an issue in this discussion. Folks dont understand what VOR navigation is or a ‘coupled approach’.
These are basic flying concepts though.
Worth learning.
For example, some think that there is a difference between NAV1/VOR1 LOC1
Functionally there isnt.

This from the Garmin G1000 NXi Pilot’s Guide for the Cessna Nav III 190-02177-00 Rev. A

The three navigation modes that can be cycled through are:
• VOR1 (or LOC1) – If NAV1 is selected, a green single line arrow (not shown) labeled either VOR1 or LOC1
is displayed on the HSI and the active NAV1 frequency is displayed in green.
• VOR2 (or LOC2) – If NAV2 is selected, a green double line arrow (shown) labeled either VOR2 or LOC2 is
displayed on the HSI and the active NAV2 frequency is displayed in green.

A coupled approach is where the localizer and the glideslope at an airport are both dialled into the autopilot. (the autopilot is mostly a seperate function from GPS functionality)
one approaches the glideslope from underneath , and when the middle of the slideslope is reached, the autopilot will start the decent. It is the pilots job to keep the plane in the middle of the glideslope
using the throttle only. Thus flying a perfect cross. At 500FT at the latest one should disengage the autopilot and handfly and land the last distance.
No GPS involved.
And of course you do not need to use the auto pilot at all. You can handfly a coupled approach which is even more challenging but more fun.

1 Like

The instrument in your photo is not a “radio” it is an OBS/CDI indicator, and it works in conjunction with a separate VOR receiver allow the selection of a specific inbound or outbound course to a VOR, and to display your deviation left or right of the selected course.

The G1000NXi has exactly the same functionality. The CDI display is electronic rather than a stand-alone mechanical instrument as shown in your photo, but it works the same way.

1 Like

VFR navigation, along with IFR VOR and NDB tracking is becoming a lost art in Both the virtual and real world.

Not long ago, a paper map and a protractor is all you would have beside you, coupled with a navlog for a preplanned trip. Now its common to have an iPad stuck to the yoke, showing realtime location, planned route, ground speed amd upcoming airspace.

Its overall safer (IMHO) and advancements like this do make flying easier, but full reliance is a mistake and if you are just one flat battery away from becoming out of your depth, then you have missed out on a whole skillset.

We teach VFR and IFR navigation the conventonal way, as I did with my own ATPL training. You can read about it below, and learn some great techniques and skills to not only keep the knowledge alive, but make you a better pilot

4 Likes

Er? Every glass cockpit I know of can display an HSI or at least a CDI. The 737s I fly at work can certainly display an HSI, with full OBS control.

Guys, this mentality that VOR navigation is obsolete is ridiculous. It’s still very much the backbone of the NAS, and all commercial and most private aircraft are certainly very capable of it.

2 Likes