Is there a limit of mods to add?

I currently have 1035 mods installed according to the content manager. As soon as I try to add another mod - the simulator gets stuck on the checking for updates page. First, I thought it was related to a incompatible mod but after testing the last 2 days with various combinations it seems that I reached some kind of limit of mods to add? Does somebody have any information of this or can confirm this? Or is something else causing this? It doesn’t seem to be a broken mod.
Thanks in advance.

I don’t believe there is a limit to the amount of mods but would require Asobo input into that.
The reason you are getting stuck on Checking for Updates is solely I think down to the number of mods you keep in the Community folder. There are various ways to keep a limit on the amount of mods that are permanently kept in the Community folder versus only being added as when needed and thereby reducing loading times and update checking.
There are small programs to make symbolic links, there are addons like AddonLinker etc all designed to load only addons relevant to the flight you want to take. No need for AUS scenery to be checked or in the active Community folder if you are flying in US for example.
You could rename your Community folder to e.g. Community.x and make a new Community folder in the same place and then drag and drop the addons you want to be loaded. Place them back into Community.x when you have finished and then choose different addons for your next choice of flight. Don’t keep all addons in the active Community folder is the bottom line.

…but what about add-ons bought in the in game market place?

I think the add-on limit is determined by how long one can tolerate very slow startup times. “Checking for updates” would probably complete after 10 to 20 minutes.

BTW I recommend that your content.xml file either be deleted or renamed. The content.xml file is a list of the MSFS base components, updates, Marketplace purchases, and the add-ons in the Community folder. This file is checked and updated at each MSFS start.

I thought MSFS updates this file with additions and deletions in the Community folder. However, recently I made a number of changes in my Community folder. I renamed content.xml (for backup purposes) and MSFS created a new content.xml as it is supposed to. But the new content.xml file was smaller than the old one. It looks like MSFS only adds items to content.xml but doesn’t remove items that have been removed from the Community folder.

Thanks for your reply. I’m aware of AddonLinker. It surely is an awesome program but it’s just not my cup of tea. I often decide where to fly rather spontaneous after I started the simulator and I like to keep things simple. It would be too much of a hassle to always decide where to fly without the stars on the world map, activate stuff, start the sim, notice I forgot to activate/deactivate something, close the sim, activate/deacivate stuff, restart the sim and so on. I know I’m lazy :wink:

BTW does it interfer with other programs like orbx direct, contrail, aerosoft one etc. ?

Thank you for your reply as well. Unfortunately, the checking for updates doesn’t complete after a some time. I once waited the whole night for it to complete - without success. It definitely got stuck.

I always delete my content.xml and sceneryindexes folder everytime I install something new. Strange that your content.xml doesn’t update your removed mods. I checked mine and it does.

It all works fine (loading/checking for updates time are ok) unless I add one more mod. Then my sim gets stuck at the checking for updates page.

For me, the limit is 1028 mods in Community folder:

I seem to have hit this limit today.
2 symptoms:

1. Content Manager would not load (it told me to go check for an update).

2. After a flight, gets stuck returning to main menu.

Disabling all items in Addons Linker to test and it’s fine again.

Is there any way around this problem?!

Same here. Limit around 2000.

2000 … That’s really quite ridiculous… for SO MANY REASONS.

Do yourself a favor and check out Addon Linker.

Small learning curve, but then you will wonder how you ever did without it

My limit where Content Manager stops to work : https://i.goopics.net/bn2upn.png

My limit – when MSFS loading addons I am not using on a flight, takes more time that it is worth it, and turning them off in Addon Linker, takes less time, that waiting for a lot of irreverent addons to load … and then slow down my PC when I fly.

I like a “Lean , Mean , Flying Machine” - preferably one that also does not CTD half way through a flight :wink:

5190 :rofl:
I thought I was bad haha — thanks for sharing :wink:

As others have noted, Addons Linker is invaluable for this. I had sort of the same problem as the OP in the sense that I would start MSFS at an airport in Miami only to find that all of my western US mods were active. I always start MSFS from within Addons Linker, and I asked the author to add a pop-up that would ask me which profile I wanted before it continues with starting MSFS. It works great, and I now use it all the time. Sure, if I change my mind after starting MSFS then I’m out of luck, but until we can swap out mods on the fly (which I doubt will ever happen), I think this is the best option we have - unless your rig can handle all your mods at once. If that’s the case, then that’s awesome. If not, then you have a choice to make.