Is there a memory leak?

There is no real kind way of putting this but after a while of playing it seems like MSFS2020 sh*ts the bed. I was rolling along getting a reasonable frame rate. Had some bad luck with a particular flight into London in a storm, the game crashed, so I restarted, set up the same flight again then I crashed (ATC had left me at 22k almost until final but having got almost this far in the previous attempt when it pulled a CTD I felt I might pull it off with a little aerobatics…I didn’t)
Third attempt (I’m about 6 hours into trying to get from Germany to London by this time) mid way into the flight my frame rate halves. From 40 to 20 (over the coast of Netherlands?)…it gets worse as I go down through the clouds into west london in darkness…and by the time I’m seeing the runway I have hit 8fps and it’s like gaming in 1980, I’m basically adjusting my flight controls and guessing where the screen is going to tell me I am in a few seconds…

I didn’t make the runway.

Hi @somethingbrite.

I have moved your topic to #bugs-and-issues:performance

Could you please provide more information:

• Aircraft(s) flown

• Are you running any mods? If so does the issue persist with those mods disabled?

• Have you filed a bug report on Zendesk? If so please include the ticket number in your OP so MS/Asobo staff can look up your ticket if they review your topic.

Aircraft. - Beechcraft King Air 350i
Mods. - Liveries medgapack (end of 2020 version - not all are actually installed, maybe 25% but one of those was active on the King Air at the time) Departure airport was also a mod. Paderborn
Not logged at this time. Further testing my side required first.

Flight = EDLP>EGLL Night, cloud and snow throughout journey course. Cruise 20k>22k
Repeated this flight 3 times.

1. = CTD (somewhere over Channel? Start of descent?)
  2. = I crashed on approach
  3. = Frame rate tanked. Dropped from approx 40fps to 20fps near Amsterdam (before descent) was 8fps by the time I descended below cloud on approach EGLL

Frame rate loss was so sudden and so pronounced it was immediately noticed. So big a change that I paused and minimized the sim in order to check if some other activity was taking place. (download, virus scan etc) or if there was a hardware issue.
Everything was fine, but the sim frame rate was unplayable at 8fps.

Thanks for the information, hopefully this will give someone the information required to start suggesting ideas. In the meantime when you have CTDs please check the Windows Event Viewer to see if exceptions are logged. If they are send them through to Zendesk

Did you have live traffic enabled?

I did yes.
But I had recently changed aircraft labels - OFF and player aircraft models to generic/optimized (whichever is the option available in settings which reduces CPU load, I’m not at the gaming PC right now so I can’t check for exact name of that setting.)

There have been reports of live traffic causing CTDs, so maybe just give the sim a try without live traffic, to see if that makes things any more stable.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.