Is there anyone at all who isn't experiencing these half-second "hiccups" with FS2020?

No thats incorrect. What they are referring to is the very very old version of the FBW that hasnt been removed from the store. Obviously you only need to do this if you installed it from there in the first place

2 Likes

Maybe a format:/ is the wy to go
You might have processes outside of sim that clog your system.
A clean install takes a day or so, but might work wonders

I’ve had the “right before landing” stutter for quite some time.

It is almost like the simulation has to set itself for the landing phase. It happens right before touching down.

I can now tell you this is categorically untrue :wink: You want to know how I know? Because I just bought a new B550 Tomahawk Max Wifi motherboard and 5800x3d CPU, reinstalled Windows, and the same stutters are present (albeit slightly briefer in duration–now maybe a quarter-second versus a half-second). And I can confirm that I’m seeing the same stutters in other games as well–fired up Train Sim World 3, same type of stutter in otherwise very smooth FPS gameplay.

About the only thing I can think of at this point is to swap out the GPU for an AMD GPU and see if that makes any difference.

I had 1/2 second stutters today for the first time. After a reboot, it seemed OK. But I’ll keep an eye out.

Optimise drives and don’t let them get too full. Disable any power saving settings. Check for updates, addons and hardware

Not always true. I upgraded to the 5800x3d and yes i get higher fps but still get the stupid stutters at times around crowded airports like kjfk on approach and take off.

Recent 5800x3d upgrade from 5800x, here. Same fclk and memory tune (DDR4 3600), and stutters with the x3d on Windows 11 22H2 are as bad as they’ve ever been, especially when panning the camera around.

Check your “WindowsApps” folder for a folder called “MicrosoftDesktopAppInstaller”.
Delete this folder. You do not need this folder, everyhting works fine without it.
The files in this folder are bandwidth hungry and will slow you internet down.
If your unsure you can leave it in the recycle bin and test it out without these files. You should restart your machine after deleting the folder.

Fyi - I was unable to look inside this folder (let alone delete it) as I was denied permission by Windows.

Open File Explorer. Click “view” on the menu, hover your mouse over “Show” , and click “Hidden Items”.
Ok so if you can see the folder but not access it, right click on the folder and choose properties. Clear all the check marks (ex. Read Only Attribute etc) and click apply and ok. Also look in your WindowsApps folder for the files python and winget. Delete those also.

I always got these annoying stutters, and I still get them to some extent, but have mostly disappeared.
My system is:
RTX3070
i9 12900k
32GB RAM

What made most of the difference were 2 things: The processor and moving the game from my SSD to an M2 drive.
With that I have almost no stutters right now.

It would be more meaningful IMO if posters also included what settings they were using and what fps they were expecting and actually getting?

I’ve got a fairly mid-level rig and my internet is not fast but after a driver update (to Studio) I changed some of my Nvidia and sim settings to match the sim to my monitor - in my case I turned my monitor to 60khz and switched on Vsync, setting it to 60fps. Result a silky smooth action, very rarely dropping below 60fps except in more intensive areas, and my GPU no longer maxing out at 100% with the fans running flat out.

Not meaning to be critical but I sometimes think chasing high fps in a flight simulator can be counter-productive. Okay in situations where you need high fps, such as aerobatics, I can understand but otherwise maybe just be open to other settings. I used pilotpete vid [MSFS] How to get a SMOOTH experience in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 - YouTube for guidance.

I’d rate my PC as lower high end R73800X, rtx3060, 32GB CL14-3200@3333MHz M.2 NVMe x 2, everything current including Windows 11. All graphics maxed including in NVCP, LOD400 but I use different resolutions depending on what, where and how I am using the sim. For gliding and acrobatics I prefer a custom 2880x1620 with DLSS (quality) which scales down nicely to 1080p with frame rates similar to yours. For more sedate flying I’ll switch to 3840x2160 that scales to 1440p and 40-50fps. Mostly I use a 32"HDTV as a monitor but we also have a 55" UHD when I get the chance … I’m very happy with my rig, it seems so well balanced.

Sorry, did you just say you use an 85" TV??

If you mean me that says 55 … fifty five inch (windows fonts are not always the best)

Not you sorry. The OP - 4K 85" Sony Bravia TV

This is caused by the memory optimizations included in game. During SU10 beta there were some releases that had virtually none but others (specially the lastest ones) had even longer than 1s freezes. The effect is also reproduced under G-sync, which means they are not caused by fps drops or changing fps figures. It´s not caused by network bandwith either because the effect also happens over Antartica, the desert or the sea, where nothing relevant is basically streamed.

Let´s see what SU11 brings about that but I guess while DX12 implementation is still in beta stage we will still see more tweaks, that may be incorporated to DX11 as well when possible.

Cheers

I had them since launch and all of a sudden after win11 2h22 update they seem to appear much less, it’s overall a smoother experience. I have no idea if its win update, new amd bios update or nvidia driver, but so far so good.

Yes, that’s correct. I also see the stuttering on a spare computer monitor I have though.