Is there something going on with wind or runway friction?

I think its a problem specific to the 172 from what I can gather from Seb’s video a few months ago.

1 Like

The C-172 will skid off the runway in low wind situations (10-12 Kts.) I’m pretty sure the tires would be able to hold the plane onto the runway in those conditions.

1 Like

These comments are so unbelievably condescending and arrogant… please stop this snobbing. It hurts.

4 Likes

“Is there something going on with wind or runway friction?”

Yes, for sure.

I typically fly smaller GA, so not sure about big stuff…

After the last update, I’m experiencing turbulent takeoffs requiring much more rudder and correction than usual, but once up, it’s gone.

as discussed in the XP vs MSFS thread, that’s more of a tuning issue than a FM issue at this point. Starting with a stock 172 and only adding the following lines to the end of the [FLIGHT TUNING] section

ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar = 2.0
ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar = 2.0

Same airport as the video, manual winds set 290 20G33

Take-offs are still messy, but again comes down to additional tuning needs on the nose wheel steering.

4 Likes

Where do I find this file please to make those changes.

Base MSFS folder->Official->OneStore->Asobo-aircraft-c172sp-as1000->SimObjects->Airplanes->Asobo_C172sp_AS1000. From that folder make a backup of flight_model.cfg, I just copy and paste the file into the same folder so that my backup is flight_model-copy.cfg, then open flight_model.cfg using any text editor and scroll down until you reach [FLIGHT TUNING], then add

ground_high_speed_steeringwheel_static_friction_scalar = 2.0
ground_high_speed_otherwheel_static_friction_scalar = 2.0

to the end of that list and save the file.

3 Likes

Basically with the new wind gusts in live weather in SU10, the pre-existing ground handling/physics issues are more accentuated and visible now (i.e. due to wheels being simulated as single points, etc <= SU9). As part of reworking/fixing this area, Asobo has introduced new flight model tuning parameters in SU10: [RELEASE] Release Notes (1.27.21.0) Sim Update 10

• Added new parameters to [FLIGHT_TUNING] section to control the static friction at high speeds and set how sticky the wheels should behave when rolling at higher speeds. These parameters are not used yet on any aircraft

Hopefully their default aircraft and 3rd party aircraft start adopting these new capabilities soon … Fenix already has per what Aamir said here FENIX Hotfix out - Page 5 - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community on their latest hotfix:
- Improved aircraft’s crosswind and weathervaning characteristics
- Adjusted lateral tyre friction to prevent weight on wheels sideslip and/or unintended ice skating

More detailed explanations of current ground handling/physics issues and how Asobo plan to address them detailed in this post: How will msfs compete with xp12? - #306 by lwtxb

6 Likes

Nice landing! The real life video the turbulence looks much shakier, which is another source of contention on here. Some say it’s too much and others not enough.

My general take is it’s up to the community to fine tune the airplanes.

3 Likes

So should I be able to add that to my other aircraft? I know they all handle differently but to add some traction to them tyres will be a big help

Do you know what range for adjustments is? and is it only whole numbers? i.e. 1.0 2.0 etc or can you input smaller numbers 1.1 1.2 etc?

I guess this could affect rolling resistance as well would it?

I need to do this every time?

Hope I can tune some other planes or was going to retrofit ice skates to them all lol

Should be Asobo duty to implement the correct physics into default aircraft …

4 Likes

SU:25 Fixed friction broke lots of other things…

It’s expressed as a percentage, so 2.0 is 200%, and yes it will accept values such as 1.15 for 115% .

2 Likes

Great thanks for that :+1:

I still have my Sidewinder FFB 2, and wouldn’t give it up for anything. I’ve had it for I don’t know how many years now, and it still works perfectly. They were built like tanks. I would highly recommend one if one can be found these days. It even has a small throttle lever built into it.

I also agree that a 3rd party app is the best way to go for generating the force feedback effects. FSX used to do some weird things with the effects when I let it drive the joystick, but I got a little driver application that a user developed and sold (I don’t remember the name of it) and it completely transformed how the Sidewinder behaved.

The only downside to the Sidewinder is that there is no easy way to mount it to a desk. I just used it sitting unmounted on a keyboard tray and it worked fine, because the base is heavy and wide enough that it’s very stable.

Small mod note:
Due to the way this thread has evolved, I have moved it to #self-service:aircraft-systems, which allows for the removal of the forum 30 day no activity autoclose of the thread.

I also slighty edited the title to mention that this thread is related to changes introduced in SU10.

The problem is that runway friction is not due to SU10, it’s bad from the beginning.

3 Likes

Well said. Here in the USA in fact, one can schedule an introductory flight at most flight schools that will immediately get you into the cockpit of a real airplane. Most simmers will be surprised how much EASIER it is to fly a real plane vs. simming.

1 Like