Issues with ILS approach and landing physics 747

Hi guys. Been really enjoying this since learning how to do ILS approach but today seem to be having reall issues with bugs and can’t find anything online anywhere. If the plane isn’t decending through the programmed final decent unrecoverablely into the ground at the ils capture point it is veering off entirely and being impossible to land manually.

I flew from LAX to Vegas on an ILS Low altitude route. The turn right before the left turn back onto lining up with the runway was quite severe and I saw it wasnt even attempting it then it flew clean back through the other side of the flight plan. So I took off the autopilot and hand flew the approach. This was all fine until I got to about 3000ft a few miles out from the runway and I could not get the plane to decend!! Autothrust was off, gear was down autopilot long since disconnected and it was like the thing was floating upwards. I’d pitch down and the back would almost be lifting up. Once I lost the head with it and let go of the yolk to let it crash it nosed up and rapidly climbed. I’ve been battling with this game all day in this jet and it’s really ruining the experience for me as all I can seem to do is landing challenges. When it was working I was doing flight after flight and loving every minute. Now I’m reluctant to do anything because I can’t bare the thought of it going rogue at the end of and the best part of the whole flight.im sure we can agree, landing at your destination is the satisfying part of it.

Can anyone help!!!

Perhaps check if your elevator trim is set to full nose up. Maybe a control or binding is causing the plane to pitch up severely after you’ve turned off autopilot.

Are you flying the stock plane or the Salty 747 mod?

A good screenshot of your cockpit displays and MCP when this is happening would also help people debug.

Thank you for your reply. It is in the same configuration it’s been in the last three days. The only thing I’ve changed is I’ve mapped A1 on my told to reverse thrust as it wasn’t mapped and inbound A1 from cockpit up view which to my knowledge shouldn’t affect the trim. I will try again tomorrow and take a screenshot of the cockpit before and immediately after disconnecting the autopilot.

I’ve downloaded and installed the livery packs from the marketplace but again had no issues yesterday but may be relevant

This is still playing up. Final approach the whole thing just collapses. Managed to get away with it in first two flights. Always the same pattern whole flight following ATC FL. Plane responds as does exactly as it should. Decend to FL150, make adjustments and plane decends. No problem, slow the plane down and decend to FL50 for ILS approach and it just keeps decending!! First two I managed to disengage autopilot, climb the plane back up again and re engage AP and got away with it.

Coming into palma a few minutes ago plane does its usual, decends through the programmed 3000ft but this time doesn’t respond to manual pulling back. It’s almost as tho it’s stalling but I don’t have any flaps retracted because I’m usually still over 200knts due to decending with speed brakes up and no landing gear as I’ve not made the final turn to line up.

It’s becoming unbareable now! Nothing anywhere online. Am I doing something wrong in the cockpit. It doesn’t help the ATC is asking me to fly at FL 220 then expecting me to defend to FL110 then FL40 in a matter of a few miles! I’m almost at the stage of flying the whole journey at 4000ft jist so the plane doesn’t have a chance to plough through the final programmed altitude

Make sure the trim is going in the downward direction (pitch down), you might have to actually turn the wheel with the mouse. Have not Flown 747 in while, but last time it acted ok, not as good as one in FSX. You also might have inadvertently created a button binding which is messing you up, so check your button assignments. Also, the keyboard ones as well. Sometimes they conflict.

OR, the FMC has something in it, taking over AP, and it will not let you fly plane. On AP panel is gray bar, click on that and it will disconnect all AP functions except the Auto Throttle, which has to be turned off by you. That one gets me often. If this was XP-11, I would say flaps issue, but this is MSFS, and the flaps seem to be working fine for me. Let us all know.

Yeah I’ll definitely have a look into the trim tomorrow. I’ve since seen a YouTube video (below) that leads me to believe I could be leaving it too late to slow down. Which is causing the plane to be going too fast when I’m decending. I also think that anti stall protection is engaged so When it does finally slow down the auto thrust is keeping it above the speed I’m setting and the lack of flaps could be actually stalling It.

I’ve just watched a video on the same plane doing an ILS approach and this guy was slowing down and extending flaps a good 40NM away from the runway. I’ve not been starting to slow down significantly until about 20-30NM and at least in the last incident when the plane has dropped from the sky I’ve not had any flaps extended. Just speed brakes. I’m starting to think I’ve just been ballsing it up myself.

I will try again tomorrow. The game is recently new to me and I’m obviously not a pilot so I’m learning as I go. I’d been doing things alot slower and preparing earlier when it was going well at first and I could have just started getting a bit complacent and missing steps without realising. That being said do find the ATC very unpredictable that puts you in stupid situations as mentioned above.

This is the video I was watching many times over while the game was downloading and I’ve watched it again since which has made me think I’m not managing the flight properly anymore.

Here is a video I did a couple years ago doing an ILS approach in the B747 in MSFS. My videos have changed a bit recently, but this video should answer some questions and covers everything from the start of the approach to landing and there are highlight boxes throughout the video showing what is being selected. I am a professional pilot, and there are videos of ILS approaches in smaller airplanes on my channel that may be helpful also. Good luck! Boeing 747 ILS Tutorial - Microsoft Flight Simulator - YouTube

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.