Issues with Thrustmaster T. Flight HOTAS One

Hi All,

I have browsed this topic and discovered that a few people have had issues with this flightstick, in that it’s not possible to properly navigate the pre-flight menus with it (I’m using an Xbox Series X). I have tried allocating the small POV stick to the cursor but it doesn’t work so well as the cursor keeps resetting its position. If I plug in and keep on my Xbox gamepad I can use the POV stick to navigate the menus but still no white circular cursor.

Last discussions on this appear to be last year so presumably the manufacturer (who hasn’t got back to me) hasn’t fixed it? Anything I can do or do I just have to keep a pad plugged in?

Thanks,
Karl

1 Like

Hello Jay. Welcome to MSFS.
I have the TM Hotas one , Joystick, Throttle and Rudders! Turn Console off. Make sure switch on Throttle is in the Xbox position. The plug the Hotas into the console. Turn console on. Should work!

Rich

1 Like

Thanks. Still nothing, however — it seems that I need to constantly keep the gamepad plugged in in order for the HOTAS One to work properly.

Hi All,

I’m also having problems with my Xbox series X and the Thrustmaster HOTAS one. These problems have only occurred since the recent SIM update. The console no longer recognises the Thrustmaster Hotas one. Has anybody else had these problems? Any work around for this? I can’t get it to even turn on anymore since the Sim update.

Thanks and kind regards.

Good morning Kid.
Turn console off, unplug everything. Power cord. Even internet.
Reconnect all cords. Make sure switch on throttle is in Xbox position!
Hopefully this helps. Let me know.

Rich

1 Like

Make sure the switch on the back didn’t accidentally get switched from Xbox to PC? Try a different usb port on your Xbox? I’m not having any issues with mine or my TB V1.

1 Like

Hi ElasticStack182, and thank you for replying. Yes I’ve made sure the unit is switched to “Xbox” I’ve also tried all usb ports. Unfortunately non of that has made any difference. Good to know your unit is working well, and points towards a possible hardware issue my end. Odd though, as it’s not been a sudden stop in the Thrustmaster working, it’s been rather temperamental since the sim update - I’ve had to unplug randomly to make it work, then it worked fine for a couple of days. Then suddenly today it’s not having any of it and the Xbox recognises the Thrustmaster Hotas one briefly, then it disappears.

Thanks again for your reply.

1 Like

Hi Rich

Many thanks for your reply.

Okay I will try a full disconnect and power down and see how that works.

Hi

Just to update I have done a full disconnect and power down. The Thrustmaster HOTASOne now works fine.

Just to add, (I probably should have mentioned from the beginning) I had been using a USB extender wire - my setup means I preferred to be further away from screen than the short wire on Thrustmaster permitted. This had been working fine but it appears that the usb extender is now a problem as this no longer works. The unit however works fine without this connection.

So I will have to look at another way of extending the wire, or I suppose not being able to be further away than the short wire permits. Pleased to get it working again though. Many thanks for your assistance and replies.

1 Like

AyeUpKid, are you too finding that you need the gamepad plugged in to properly navigate pre-flight menus using the circular cursor? Seems that’s just how it is with HOTAS units (no different to having a small keyboard next to you really).

I have done some button reconfiguring and have managed to assign a button to toggle the toolbar on/off while inflight — however I’ve yet to find a method of navigating the toolbar once it’s displayed.

Morning Kid. My monitor is about 8 to 10 feet from console! Plug monitor, and the TM Hotas into USB on console! Everything else into the hub!

Rich

1 Like

Have the Hotas, stick, throttle and rudder pedals. Use a mouse, of course the controller.

Rich

Add me and we can fly together

I think I need to subscribe to Gamepass or be a Gold member to fly multiplayer with Xbox?

Karl

Map the cursor to axis 3 and 4 (aileron/elevator) If you’re in the in-flight menu, once you bring up the cursor/menu, it negates your flight controls. I don’t have any issues navigating menus. I use the hat switch for menu selections…don’t remember what it’s called. It highlights boxes. It’s cumbersome in game, and almost impossible for cockpit interactions. But, you can navigate pre-flight menus.

Best advice: buy a mouse. My next step up is mouse, keyboard, and HOTAS. Mouse for menus and interaction, keyboard for all the mappable buttons, and use the HOTAS mainly for primary flight surfaces and camera, throttle, condition and prop levers brakes, flaps, spoilers/air brakes, etc.

Not naming names, but there’s a very competitive flight stick out there by a different manufacturer. Seems they had menu interaction and cameras in mind when they designed that one.

Thanks for that. However I’ve surfed the controls menu (expand, set the option to show all rather than just new or assigned) and cannot find anything alluding to cursor control with which to map to the main stick.

I misunderstood your question. It’s under menu in control settings. It’s “cursor toggle.” Unassign anything else related to cursors or toolbars, like toggle toolbar. All you need is cursor toggle. When you toggle the cursor it will bring up the toolbar. If you change setting in flight, you might need to restart the flight. Hope it works.

The cursor controls themselves are under menu or miscellaneous. Cursor move…left, right, up, down. Non-lockable if it’s an option. You need one button to toggle the cursor/toolbar off/on, then map “cursor move” to stick or hat switch. I advise the stick, but highly advise a mouse over either. I operate mine left handed sitting next to my throttle.

Edit: If you map it to the hat switch it won’t work in menu, because I’m pretty sure menu list selection is already mapped to the hat. Not sure what it’s called, but you navigate by highlighting boxes in menu with it. It’s an either-or situation. In menu you can use either, but not both.

1 Like

Okay, thanks. I sort of get what you’re suggesting, but not entirely.

I yesterday attempted to operate the toolbar (the one that comes up in flight with camera, checklist, tower, etc.) with the HOTAS as I’m sick of having to reach for the gamepad to do it. I found an option to map the toolbar toggle (which I set to the button immediately above prev/next — F5 perhaps?) but once the toolbar is at the top of the screen there’s nothing with which to move between the boxes.

I’ll have a look for anything relating to the cursor but what confuses me about what you wrote above is that, with the pad, I can have the toolbar and the cursor operational concurrently.

I did try and assign the small thumbstick (whatever it’s called) but that didn’t work, however I did think about the main stick but, again, couldn’t find anything that looked right to map it to.

Unfortunately if you’re not too computer-savvy (like me), even the very basic language gets confusing!

Ok, clear the toolbar toggle key. Once you set up cursor toggle, it will automatically toggle toolbar. You have to clear toolbar toggle, bc I suspect the commands interfere. Similar to being double bound.

Under Miscellaneous, there’s cursor toggle. Use the same key as you were going to use for toolbar toggle I would suggest, because the toolbar will toggle along with your cursor.

Unfortunately, I just looked, and can’t find the move cursor bindings.Mine works, they’re assigned but they’re just not showing anywhere. They100% used to be there. Hopefully once you set up cursor toggle correctly, it’s mapped to the stick by default. They just didn’t set up a toggle for it. That’s the only reason I’d think they removed it.

If not, then yes, with the mouse you can use the toolbar with your left hand and still fly. You can move the camera, interact with the controls, all while flying. Not sure about the actual interactions. I think while you’re actually adjusting, you might not be able to fly. I picked mine up for $7 at Walmart. Waaaay more convenient. The camera functions are nice too.

Hope I was clear enough. Trust me on the mouse. I was hesitant, too. You won’t regret it. Good luck.