In how many threads will you post this?
Haha, yes you are right.
This thread was half a joke. But it does point to some of the issues we are seeing on the language translation.
TO that end, we could really use a thread that details all of the poor translations in the UI. For example:
| Current Phrase | Recommend Phrase | Notes |
|---|---|---|
| “Legacy Mode” | “Optimised for PC” | New UI settings for tooltips, cockpit interaction etc. Legacy gives the impression that PC is no longer being supported, and that Xbox is more important. The use of the word Legacy also fails to indicate what it really is, which is an optimal layout for experienced PC users. |
Or something like that…
I don’t spend enough time to know if something like that exists on the forums, but if it doesn’t, it might be time to create one. Once it has enough translations, it can be passed on to the dev team by the Community Managers, and we can use the Discourse Wiki feature so others can contribute to the OP, while letting people use replies to further discuss things.
This is the way software engineer is going - cross platform.
You’d be crazy not to. It’s a vastly more efficient way of going about things rather than developing two or more separate code bases.
Source: Simulation & software engineer.
Some people who’ve actually tried the new interaction mode on PC have found it to be an improvement. It’s not to my taste for the type of flying I mostly do, and the rollout of it was certainly poorly thought-out, but I suspect a lot of people are shooting themselves in the foot with their knee-jerk negative reactions (how’s that for a mixed metaphor?). And I certainly think we have bigger things to worry about than what words are applied to the different modes as names. But if people are able to complain about ATC wishing them ‘good day,’ I guess they’ll complain about anything…
And in every one he misspells “idea” the same way.
This is hilarious. The OP reads like satire but some of the people responding here are completely serious! Who cares what it’s called???
Unfortunately, that is the way it goes sometimes. It can be hard for people to judge intent via text. Though satire or not, it does raise the interesting point I discussed above about poor UI wording. It’s by no means game braking, but it would be a nice QoL thing to get tweaked in time.
After the sheer pettiness of some of the things I’ve seen people complaint about since yesterday (up to an including that updates to third party payware add-ons will now be faster because developers want Xbox customers’ money - yes, the Xbox is bad now because it means we get quicker updates), I cannot take it for granted that any gripe is meant in jest.
Well, I guess that’s a bit of Poe’s Law coming into effect. When things get so ridiculous that parody and reality are virtually indistinguishable.
On topic, I think people should give the lock mode a fair shake. Sure, the tooltips are gigantic and annoying but you can turn them right off. I think it actually works great once you memorize what buttons do what.
Once they fix the freezes, I’ll give it a shot.
Yeah I think there’s a lot to be said for the actual interaction method of the Lock mode, it’s just that the surprise, unexplained implementation of it, and then the rather garish blue highlighting and obnoxiously large tooltips, prevents people from ever seeing that.
Again, since I mostly fly vintage and GA aircraft with relatively simple systems and try to keep as much stuff as possible bound to buttons or switches on my HOTAS, it’s not to my taste. But for people who like or need to do a lot of stuff by manipulating stuff in the virtual cockpit, it could really be beneficial.
I suppose there’s no accounting for taste, but I actually like the blue and yellow highlighting. It’s visible, makes it very clear what I’m hovering over, and I like the color.
It also is leading me to think about the possibility of motion controller support for VR, since highlighting what is “grabbed” by the controller would be important.
I understand the functional reason for it, but the initial impression I (and I think many others had) was that it looks very cartoonish and breaks immersion.
I think if the highlight color and opacity could be changed that would be a big improvement.
I’m speculating, but it seems the line is moving more towards a game than a flight simulator with this release. I hope it swings back in the right direction at some stage. Some of us really want to simulate flight.
Thanks
PaulyFSPauly