It seems they have pretty much maxed out the capabilities of the series x already

Every new console is the best console…

Also, at risk of repeating myself, I was comparing the XBox S/X of today, with a console of 5 years from now, and if the sim its continues development would the S/X still be able to run it.

Let’s say some new generation of rendering comes along, will the sim be able to take advantage of that if it would mean the older consoles could no longer run it. Or could they run it anyway, PC or console, and the sim only enables those features if the hardware detected can support it.

2 Likes

As long as it has limited access to mods and is not that customizable like on PC the console version will always be inferior.

1 Like

here we go again… Xbox vs. Pc… as every time.

No VR support , no XBox. Simple.

I’m not sure if that 95% number is accurate, but you’re right to say that the Xbox is more powerful than the vast majority of gaming PCs out there today. People who run the latest gen CPUs and GPUs are a minority, not the rule. Right now.

If you compare the console today to the majority of PCs today, you’re correct. Most people are running 2-3 gen old CPU and GPUs.Roll the clock ahead about 2 years though, and that landscape shifts significantly. People will get new GPUs, upgrade their CPU, RAM, etc over time. If it weren’t for the worldwide shortage of parts and the high cost associated with getting them ATM, that gap would already be closing after only a year or so. But this time around, consoles definitely have extra breathing room.

By the time the console hits mid-life at abut 2.5 years, it will be about on par with most average gaming PCs in terms of CPU and GPU power. It will still be a good console by all measures, but it will be showing its age quickly while PCs are being upgraded.

That said, if someone is willing to spend $2500 on a PC today, that thing will leave the Xbox so far behind it won’t even be in its rearview mirrors. You’re talking about comparing a Subaru WRX to a Porsche. I don’t care how much someone loves their Xbox. There’s no comparison.

But there’s nothing wrong with the Xbox as it is though. It’s a great console and arguably the best out there atm, but consoles are what they are - fixed platforms that have a roughly 5 year life cycle.

Indeed it’s quite a deal. But in reality, it would cost someone at least $1000-1200 to build a PC of those specs. The hardware is a loss leader for MS. The make their money back on subscriptions, licensing and dev fees, security chips for 3rd party hardware, DLCs, etc over the life of the console. That’s why it costs $500. They’ll be making their money back eventually and then some.

If you actually bought a $1200 PC that matched the Xbox specs, it would outlast the Xbox by many years with a few relatively inexpensive upgrades down the road.

So while as a consumer, $500 is a great deal for what you’re getting today, you can’t really compare the dollar value of the console to the price of the PC and what you get over the long term. If the console is what you can afford and you’re good with that, then by all means go that route. You do you. But regardless how great the Xbox is, it’s still not on even footing with a PC.

7 Likes

Easily done. But you would probably have to buy the parts second hand from eBay because they are about 2 years old.

1 Like

If such a major shift were to come along, I suspect the current gen consoles wouldn’t get it. At least not directly. It would be a next-gen “addon” that would be default for PC. That is, if they decide to implement it in this sim, or wait for its successor in order to implement it (MSFS2025???).

But MS are hardcore pushing for cloud gaming. There’s a good chance that the next gen Xbox may not be much more than a controller + streaming box with very little onboard processing power at all and all the processing will be done in the cloud. That’s how they’re looking at making MSFS available on the last gen Xbox already.

We’re at the doorstep of “gaming as a subsription service” right now. It works reasonably well for many games right now, but not so well for others. We’ll have to see where the tech develops over the next few years. But rest assured, if game streaming as a service isn’t the main model of the next gen consoles, it will most definitely be for the generation after that.

1 Like

The answer is everything is sales related, how many are actually using it on Xbox, if there is not enough crowd on Xbox, the version will not even get updated, while it share the same base version, it require testing software adaptation, others staff, more resource\fund, still not the same as PC, memory is fixed, hence why they needed to shrink to Xbox memory, that leave all the rest open to PC + newer GPU\CPU in the pipeline.

It’s not even about major shift, but basic things right now, the introduction of pop up and view rendering was especially made to accommodate xbox, added to the hard works to shrink it to console fixed memory. Now with PC SU6 option is added to bring it to previous state at least very close on that aspect, still remain on Xbox. On Pc we should get the above ultra quality, higher trees distance rendering, and others above ultra quality, will these be on console? I doubt it, (the pop up\rendering view was made for Xbox). The CFG editing to increasing LOD, the tool to convert PC to Xbox max memory, this is another thing. Will ever Xbox have multi monitor, VR support etc…? not sure.

The new GPU are in prototype already, I won’t give any info\source or he will get fired. What we got already is outdated! That how computer works, each year your stuff get outdated for the same price.

1 Like

We should also factor in that across the next 5-10 years of Xbox how much of that future will be pushed towards the cloud and streaming games, at what stage will having dedicated powerful console hardware no longer be the norm?

1 Like

Cloud don’t replace all. You still need board\ram\CPU\GPU, the clouds help a bit, especially for storage, it will never replace 3d rendering and tech, it just reduce a bit hassle.

Nah, gonna disagree here. It already has replaced local 3D rendering. I can play AAA games on my phone right now thanks to Xcloud.

The only real constraint is latency and bandwidth, with latency being solved by building more datacenters, and bandwidth being solved by FTTH.

As long as you aren’t stuck on slow internet (and I know a lot of the US is, along with many other places in the world) cloud gaming works fine.

I’m with @StarlessLion50 here. It’s already happening. You can play games on almost anything on almost any device these days. Latency and bandwidth are the issue preventing it from really taking over right now. You don’t need a GPU nor storage nor a fast CPU on the local system. The hardware just has to be fast enough to process and decode the stream the device is receiving in real time. The visuals are cloud rendered and streamed to you much like if you were watching Netflix.

It works fine for any slower game genre already. Where it doesn’t really work atm is twitch games, especially in competitive scenarios.

But make no mistake. It’s coming. Google, Apple, and MS are all pushing hard for this already. It’s just a matter of time until tech catches up a bit more.

Your device still have board, cpu, ram, gpu, the software is accommodated for that device performance and screen size resolution. The software you install still have base installed same as computer accommodated to that device, the 3d rendering is still done from hardware.

3D rendering in this new model is done in the cloud and streamed.

Yes you still need a CPU and GPU, but they don’t need to be beasts in order to process high detail 4K graphics as you don’t render them on your end at all.

No, I’m afraid you haven’t quite understood how it works if you think the local machine is rendering 3D.

We aren’t talking about MSFS - we are talking about other games that are being delivered right now over platforms like XCloud, Stadia, PS Now and Luna, from Microsoft, Google, Sony and Amazon respectively.

All rendering is done on the cloud and only a video is streamed to your device, this enabling a Laptop with integrated graphics to play a high end game.

Yes of course you need a device that can display the stream, but even a eight year old laptop will work for these services. You don’t need a discrete GPU - onboard graphics works.

2 Likes

Indeed. Much like Steam in home streaming. A while before covid started I had a nasty flu and was bed-ridden for about 5 days. In that time, I connected a 10 year old AMD APU laptop to my TV in my bedroom. With my Xbox controller, I was able to stream my games from my gaming machine in my man cave in my basement to my TV in my room and it played every bit as well as if I was on my physical gaming system in my basement. I played through a good part of Jedi: Fallen Order like this.

Granted, that’s on the same LAN with ultra-low latency. Over the internet, there’s still the issue of latency, but it’s getting there.

2 Likes

Or this -

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/msfs-running-on-a-nintendo-switch-pics/

I’m sure that, at least with Xcloud, some rendering of graphics is done by the device. A basic amount, but some.

I remember watching a video about the tech and it did require the device torender some basic elements to help latency.

There’s a video on the tech somewhere but it was probably a few years ago.

Min requirements on Android are Android 6 devices and basically any integrated onboard intel graphics from the past five years will work fine. It’s just displaying a 1080p video. You don’t need any form of Nvidia/AMD gpu. My thinkpad x1 carbon from 2016 works fine, and that’s most definitely not got any form of gaming GPU

Exactly. All you need is the CPU/GPU capacity to decode the video stream you receive from the cloud in real time. Beyond that, the CPU captures your input device commands and streams them out to the cloud to be processed there.