It's just not fun anymore

I must admit I do get amazed when I compare what I had in FSX

1 Like

There are going to be a few bugs here and there as a game to this standard has never been performed on a console before. I myself am infuriated by the crashes that happen which is why I haven’t done any 12+ hour flights since the recent updates.

I am hoping throughout the course of this year, a lot if not all the crash bugs will be fixed. After reading the dev update that was released yesterday about the details coming in “world update 6” which is now set for release on 6th september as epoz to the initial 24th august looks very promising.

They went over all of the current issues with the game and the bugs that exist. So I have my fingers crossed that they will be fixed, but also that they don’t fix several issues and then create several issues at the same time…

Yes me too I have to admit that as a PC user the fun and wow factor as reach bottom since SU5.

I remember over a year ago when I joined the Alpha Insider program all the excitement and anticipation in being part of something trully great. Such an iconic franchise with all the latest technologies all coming together!

However, one of the things I never quite understood is, with all the major aircraft manufacturers licenses obtained (Airbus, Boeing, Textron, …), why those companies never sent one of their engineers to Bordeaux (ASOBO Headquarters) to help in making sure their MSFS aircraft(s) was(were) as good as their real life one(s). Surely this would have been a marketing triumph!

One as to hope that one day this will actually happen … I hope :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Perfection always has a price. TBH now Xbox is up and running we should see a shift in dynamics and hopefully a lot more care. I am really looking forward to the future.

4 Likes

I wonder where you get that from.
From what I read on the forums it’s affecting a small fraction of users.
CTDs are bad and should (and will) be fixed, but arguing based on such weak assumptions won’t bring us anywhere.

It’s pretty clear Asobo is prioritizing fixing CTDs.

I for one enjoy flying the sim a lot. There are bugs, some are annoying, but they don’t kill the fun for me (which CTDs surely would if I had any).

11 Likes

Have had FS2020 since the day it was released and have had 3 ctds in that time, in the first weeks. A low end pc and it runs fine. My only problem now is how to get a Flyingiron Spitfire off the runway. Great fun.

PC tweaking simulator :’)

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a fraction but for most they are sporadic so there’s not so much complaining. I’m sure there are ways of mitigating it but I don’t think that many understand the difficulty of that without introducing lag (although I think we could actually live with more). Sequential streaming of data is easily upset and that leads to frame drops, stutters and if all is not perfect with the hardware, CTDs.

Agreed.

We’re 1 year into the product lifecycle now, and in some core aspects of the sim it is now in a worse state than it was at release (looking at you SU5). And I don’t understand the reluctance to release more hotfixes between the world and sim updates for the very essential systems that are still left broken after SU5.

Not very encouraging. But hopefully it will get better with time…

4 Likes

I’d say most don’t have any. But my gut feeling is as unprecise as yours, so why use it as an argument?

I just don’t think using absolute claims without any numerical base are useful, you can’t judge from some forum posts over the whole player base and even on here it’s just a fraction of users complaining about CTDs, most threads rather complain about graphics or other issues.

4 Likes

The problem isn’t the updates so much as there’s no way of verifying them or reinstalling them without downloading 160Gb again.

Which is pathetic.

2 Likes

Not always. Mine worked great for a couple of weeks until the last hotfix. Then it continually crashed. It isn’t used for anything else either.

2 Likes

Ok I’ll cede to that except that many had them between hotfixes due to the atc bug which includes myself but is a different matter.

I didn´t have a single CTD since SU5 was launched, so I´m pretty sure there are many more like me that simply don´t post because they don´t have this particular problem. Anyway, I completely agree with you that hotfix of identified problems (big ones) should be released on a regular basis. It´s somehow weird that the “please expedite your altitude” bug has been present for more than a month being identified and already fixed but we have to wait for another couple of weeks until all the rest of minor bugs are fixed.

4 Likes

Either that or a rollback as soon as the problem started. If I knew back then in Aug 2020 what I know now, this would not be the sim I picked, even less the premium version where after one entire year the Longitude is far from flyable without a mod made for free from a community member. But it’s life… we live and learn. I just hope that all that is being written here help others to make the right choice when it comes to a flight simulator.

2 Likes

All I can say is they probably will still be optimising cores which until they have everything where it should be makes any immediate hotfixes only temporary.

1 Like

Statistically that is not going to be the case. Based on 2m sales as at Dec 2020, the Pareto Principle would suggest that only 20% are active on this forum, so 400,000 users.

Of those, the same principle means that only 20% will be regular posters.

Even if every one of them experienced CTDs of any kind - and clearly from the various threads they do not - that would be 80,000 users.

Don’t get me wrong, that is still a lot of people but it is only 4% of the user base as at December 2020.

As annoying as CTDs are for the people affected (and I know what that was like with P3D) they cannot be affecting “almost everyone”, which I imagine then makes Asobo’s job of working out why they are happening and then fixing it all the harder.

EDIT: a few hours after posting this, I “earned” a badge for having been a member of the forum for a year and posting at least once. According to the message, as of 20th Aug there are 20, 331 other people with that badge, so about 1% of the user base. Even allowing for growth in the number of forum users during that year, it looks as though the assumptions above could be an overstatement, meaning that the prevalence of chronic CTDs may be even lower.

8 Likes

@chass32
May I ask what your PC specs and internet connection/ping look like, since you did not have any CTDs after SU5.
Thank you.

2 Likes

I know you didn’t ask me this but I too haven’t had any crashes post SU5 that I recall.

i9-10900KF / RTX 3070 / 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 / SSD

No overclocks applied. Currently using driver 471.68 (noticed an update is out and updating now).

1 Like

… are rarely the reason for CTDs. Just saying.

2 Likes