Jack of All Planes - Achievement

The Jack of All Planes Achievement is one of the more arduous ones in the sim. Something I have found you really have to set your mind to. After ticking off a fair few of the aircraft in generally flying around you really have to focus on what are probably the lesser used aircraft (well in my experience anyway) in the sim.

After over 67 hours and nearly 14,000 NM and trying to understand why I was sitting at 95% for ages, the achievement finally flashed up on my screen today. I must say it was a relief especially after having spent time re-flying some of the slower aircraft on some long flights to see why it wasn’t completing (See the BIG tip below). From the forum there is apparently an issue with the Cessna 172 Skyhawk and the Cessna 172 Skyhawk G1000 and which one gets recorded against the achievement.

Anyway, as one to share, below is a table of the routes I took, enjoying some nice scenery, a bit of tailwind help every now and then using the weather options – make sure you get the wind vane pointing the right way so you don’t inadvertently create a headwind and some great real weather challenges. Couple of long haul flights in there, but they were just some recent random ones out the logbook. 10hrs in a 747 is a choice….

Also 300 miles is c. 261 NM, but not wanting to risk it with a flight not being recorded I decided to go over the 300 NM mark.

A great tip I picked up from this forum was to create a table to track what you still need to do and have done. The search function in the Logbook is not the greatest, so my advice would be to track your flights and the aircraft you have done them with in this achievement. Certainly helped me when I was sure I had done them all but didn’t have a “completed” flight with one aircraft.

Video of the final landing into Lydd (EGMD) in the Bonanza.
Jack of All Planes - Achievement Completed - Final Landing EGMD

9 Likes

Over 1000 hours!

I am barely scraping 200 …

Congrats man! :partying_face:

1 Like

Well done GregDC73! I’m chasing this challenge as well and have been keeping track in a similar manner. I’m now 85% done with just 3 of the slower planes still to fly for more than 300 miles each. Like you I’ve never checked to see whether it’s 300 miles or 300 nautical miles, I’ve played it safe by going for more than 300nm each flight.

1 Like

261 is enough, trust me, I have that achievement :wink: (especially useful on the slower aircraft without AP, and some hardly have the fuel to reach 300)

1 Like

Good luck.

A good resource for trip planning is Windy.com

The real world and sim world weather (and airports) don’t always agree 100% but Windy offers a great interface to quickly find where the wind is and at what altitude. You can then check and fine tune within the sim world map and set yourself up a nice tailwind. 30kts+ pushing you along sure takes the edge off hand flying a Savage Cub 300 miles.

2 Likes

Good challenge to do. I will have to do it!

I got the sim December 15th, and have also traveled where I have missed some flying time.

But not doing too bad. I think I’m up to a whooping 130.

You need to do the Asobo to Microsoft one. I did it in 10:30 hours on a Lonbitude, what I mostly fly. It’s from Borduaex France to Seattle.

1 Like

The Frequent Flyer Miles from Bordeaux to Seattle is a good one. I did in the Dreamliner. Was a long 9hrs.

I am currently trying to complete the Completionist achievement, but can’t remember which landing challenges I have done an haven’t done. I wish there was a little tick on each one that told you if you have done something.

2 Likes

If you like a challenge I created this little one for myself.

Enioy… I am trying to see if people want to share how they get on.

I will give it a try!

I am working on Jack of All Planes and so far I’m at 25%.

1 Like

Jack of All Planes is a long one. I did have some long haul flights in there and including them which does inflate the number a fair bit it took me 67hrs. Off the top of my head reckon it is around a 50hr acheievement.

Congrats on a fine achievement. Now, what to do next.

2 Likes

Thanks @CinnamonInk8010 . Thats the big question.

I am giving this ago How SLOW can YOU go? which is fun. Years ago it used to be a real life event that I loved chatting to my friend about. Surely it could be recreated on a sim…

Also trying to complete all Landmarks the Spot, although am finding the smart cam very frustrating as it tough to get more then one landmark registered n a single flight.

After that its just the World Traveller one to do so an tieing this in with the Landmarks the Spot achievement. Lots of short hops between airports with a landmark in between…

1 Like

Cheers. A national lockdown in the UK has certainly helped gain a few more hours than maybe I would have got in normal circumstances. At least i get to enjoy the scenery from a few hundred feet in the sim.

Land at 500 different airports :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Another good tip , Some planes won’t register for jack of all planes when you have extra liveries in your community map… had it with the TMB930 ( removed all liveries from community map ) and now it registered the flight. now i have to find out which other plane has the same … at 95% complete. my guess is the CJ4 , gonna try that one now…

1 Like

My back hurts just thinking about a 5 hour flight in a 152 :smile:

2 Likes

The World Traveller achievement is very bugged. It only seems to pick up 1 in every 3 airports at times, although there is no rhyme nor reason as to why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. This definitely going take more than the175 landings I still have to do. Unless someone knows a fix?..

What I’ve found is generally, if the landing shows up in the log book, it’ll count (I’m still very far of as well, there were more issues in the past, it seems to count up just fine right now for me).
So get landing clearance, wait for the call to exit next taxiway, and then leave the runway on towered airports.
Or declare landing, and declare clear of the runway at uncontrolled ones.

1 Like

Maybe the extra liveries is doing the same as for jack of all planes , was at 90% for a long time and did almost every plane twice , when i removed all liveries , the flight registered… it’s worth a try :slight_smile:

1 Like