Just Flight announces 172sp Classic Enhancement mod for MSFS

Is it really worth it to have potential instability to just have a few less files? And this list may change with updates, the original source might get updated, the mod could get updated and you will have to reasearch and delete things again, and if you delete something accidentally and it creates some wierd side effect, finding which deleted file is causing it and restoring it, all that work, is it really worth it?

Rant over.

And no, could not be of anymore help. Don’t own this mod. But own all the blacksquare overhaul mods till date and they are similar. I won’t touch the base files no matter how much OCD they cause me.

2 Likes

Not as simple as that – strongly recommend you leave the Deluxe/Premium C172 Classic Plane Intact, and do not mess with any of it’s files, as doing so could also affect other Mods to the Asobo C172 Stream.

Thanks for the replies.

I won’t let it bother me :nerd_face: , but I hope that more add-ons using default aircraft are able to go down the Salty-747 route in time (i.e - the Asobo version can be fully uninstalled).

Cheers,

Just know that when you uninstall default stuff, you risk lots of weird things happening. Their install tools are not in any way bulletproof, and easily get confused when stuff they’re expecting to be there is missing.

1 Like

Also note, the WB-sim C712 is a totally ADDITIONAL aircraft to the Asobo C172, but does use some of the parts from the Asobo one.
You really want to keep the Asobo one intact, as it is the default C172 that is used for C172 AI & MP Planes.

2 Likes

WB-172 Mod is one of my favourite aircraft in the sim. But I wish I wouldn’t have to deal with the strap downs and chokes every single time I start up the plane. It’s a cute gimmick the first couple of times but then quickly gets annoying, Also for it’s illogical way of requiring avionics to be switched on, but engine off. Against SOP in a 172, where avionics usually come online only AFTER engine start.

How about giving it a state saving feature? Only pilots who strapped down their plane last time will find it strapped down next time.

Isn’t that how it already works ?

Yes it is. It has State Saving, but you need to turn it on in the ADF menu. It even gives you a voice message “state saving enabled”.

I recommend reading the manual.

2 Likes

Same thing as in the JPL/WB 152 mod.

I did skip through the manual several times, but that evaded me, my bad.
Nevertheless, it’s still not a good idea to make this feature dependent on the avionics being switched on, but unable to execute with the engine running. Defies SOP with the 172.

I agree, the menu should be accessible without powering up the aircraft.

1 Like

@PlatosCave4408 @Jigsaw407
Are you referring to the need to have the aircraft powered up to enable state saving?

State saving “on or off” is also remembered as part of the state saving (like state-saving-ception!) so you only need to do that once, then every return to the aircraft after that will be state-saved. Or am I misunderstanding the problem here?

No, just in general to access the WB Sim options like checking the oil or the engine state. That whole menu should be accessible without turning on the battery switch. It’s a quality of life thing. :wink:

Ah, gotcha :wink:

That’s why I like the 152 better, it’s got a separate EFB for all that. They were limited on the 172 because it’s a Premium aircraft, so they couldn’t add the EFB, had to find a more creative way to have state saving. I suggested they run the ADF on a separate power supply so you didn’t have to have the battery on, but they said it would be too much work to do that.

If it required only the battery on that were ok.
But it needs the Avionics bus on, and those are in the SOP checklist switched on AFTER engine start. (Because of currency spikes from the engine start, which can freeze avionics electronics IRL. Also to avoid draining the battery without engines running)

But if you switch on the engine first, the strap down ropes and chokes can’t be removed. Catch 22…

Why not just turn the avionics off after doing whatever you need to do on the ADF?

I’ve read through the POH for the 1978 172 I fly IRL, and there’s really nothing that says you shouldn’t turn the avionics on with the engine not running. Just that you shouldn’t crank the engine with them on, and leaving them on for extended amounts of time will drain the battery.

3 Likes

The tablet on the ADF is NOT “REAL WORLD” either , but was the only way to add a panel tablet to the Premium/Deluxe “Encrypted” C172 Classic.

Also, the Tablet on the ADF cannot display, unless the ADF is powered.

So, in order to do your Out-of-the -cockpit functions, ie Chocks etc, it is necessary to temporarily turn on the battery and ADF.

It also makes sense not to be able to manage this external details, with the engine running, or the plane trying to move.

SO after your external walk around, and control of those object, just turn the Battery off again, and then you can 100% do your in cockpit check lists, according to the POH.

1 Like

Quite often I’ll grab ATIS prior to startup - as long it’s not going to change to the next one between then and taxi out. All the NOTAMs and 5G stuff aren’t worth the extra Hobbs time and gas burned with the engine running. Same goes for clearance if I’m going IFR. Just keep an eye on the battery.

3 Likes

Actually in POH that I found there is switching on Avionics on as part of preflight checklist. It is to check the fan is on.

That’s exactly the moment, when I remove chokes.

It’s a bit more complicated on shutdown. Avionics should be off before cutting mixture. So then I have to switch avionics on again. But at least it’s simple procedure and does not drain battery too much.

In the end life is not simple. In WB-Sim Discord there was discussion about using radio before starting engine. According to POH radio should be off. But in Italy, pilot has to get clearance to start the engine.

2 Likes