Just Flight announces the Avro RJ series for MSFS

Just Flight announces the Avro RJ series for MSFS, the successor to the 146

" From the outside, it’s hard to tell them apart. The 146 and the RJ are really not that different, save from the new, more powerful engines with redesigned nacelles. Possibly more important is the modernized cockpit , which saw some of the analog instrumentation replaced by an EFIS."

15 Likes

Pumped for this one. The 146 is an amazing plane but im flying it less and less
With more tech on it will be a blast!

2 Likes

No prizes for anyone who guessed this was going to happen… :grinning:

I’m very content with the Bae-146 and it’s probably still my favorite add-on so far. I feel that this release from JF is targeted more towards those who didn’t pick up the Bae-146 first time around & want a PFD, amongst other modern avionics.

So I’m likely to give it a pass, but a significant discount could tempt me…

4 Likes

That´s me. While i enjoying it a lot , I much prefer a more modern avionics while keeping the same feel from the “original” one.
Its the perfect combination here.

For sure they want to target people who didnt quite enjoy the plane without modern avionics and also didn´t want to fully learn all the instruments etc…

1 Like

Very interesting, I love the 146 because of the older avionics and use it exclusively for VOR navigation (never touch the FMS) and fly 737 or 320 for more modern experience. I’m personally more interested in the upcoming F28 but curious if they will offer the Avro at a discount for those who already purchased the 146 direct. It looks like there are a few still in service as well.

3 Likes

Definitely interested in this. Lack of a visual GPS was a reason I didn’t get the 146. I’m also not that interested in airliners, though this is definitely unique enough I could see myself getting the RJ.

Ugh, should have waited for this one!

1 Like

Day 1 purchase. I enjoy 146 very much, it’s one of the best aircraft addons for MSFS and the more modern cockpit is a welcome addition. Plus I’m a fan of Just Flight’s approach to their customers and the quality of their products. They seem to never disappoint.

8 Likes

I’m similar, I don’t actually fly it with the FMS much, it’s great just on radio nav - however the RJ also has bigger engines which if you’re not flying the -100 is pretty sorely needed, plus some remote places just don’t have any radio nav & it’s nice to have a waypoint in the system sometimes. The RJ70 should be quite a performer!

Will wait & see about pricing for existing owners, I’d be very very unlikely to get it at full price again.

1 Like

They said that the 146 will drop in price, so i expect this one will cost the same :confused:
lets see

They do deals though, e.g if you own some of the Arrows ( I don’t know how many ) then you get a pretty huge discount on the Warrior. The only cost to them for doing a deal is the download bandwidth, so if it’s a choice between a deal or losing a sale completely, the choice is pretty obvious. There are no significant differences between a 146 and a RJ, certainly not anything like between a Warrior & an Arrow - the dash/FMS, the engines, a few small system changes.

There’s actually a significant amount of work in the RJ versus the 146 - the entire instrument panel and aft centre console are different, the glass cockpit PFD/ND/EICAS is a lot of work to code, all new radios, all new autopilot with LNAV/VNAV/autoland, new FMS, all new digital pressurisation system etc. It’s a significant project for us so whilst we will certainly provide a discount for existing 146 owners, it will reflect both the commonality and the amount of work involved, so it might not be a huge discount depending on your take.

Regarding the 146 price drop, I’m not sure what that’s referring to but we have no plans for a permanent price drop for any of our products, but inevitably they will end up in a sale at some point.

Martyn - Just Flight

13 Likes

The roadmap and prices for Just Flight look great. Remember they did drop the initial price of the BAE146 pre-launch to a very reasonable launch price. I’ll be spending a lot on Just Flight in the near future with the RJ, Tomahawk, F-28, and Tornado!

2 Likes

Certainly not trying to play down the work ( I’ve been on your side in the past - I especially remember a quick 2 week edit & port that turned into four months work! ) - just saying it’s not a completely new airframe and the actual airframe itself is only slightly changed. I probably did play down FMS coding more than I should though, sorry.

1 Like

Great news! Release-day purchase for me.

2 Likes

Well I do think there’s a new difference between ‘simulated’ and ‘animated’.

If you’re just going to change the exterior model of the engine and slam a new label on it, that’s animated and its gonna reflect on the product.

With this new sim, that wouldn’t bring you very far anymore I think. In terms of depth and aerodynamic modeling that would hardly come of the ground.

So sure, the experience between a Bae and RJ are perhaps associated but I do trust JF to go a lot deeper than just some animated changes and call it a product.

What do you know about their prices in the future?

Reasonable, just like their prices in the past. Great quality, just like their planes in the past.

2 Likes

I’m wondering about the new FMS and whether it is a ground up rewrite?

High Res photos i found