Just Flight Hawk T.1

Here’s a crosswind takeoff ( you can get a silhouette of the windsock halfway down the run ) - note that it makes the plane look bad, but the exact same behaviour continues in the air - it’s not ground handling doing this. In previous versions ( possibly the current live one ) I think that would have been a takeoff with full rudder & dragging a brake, no need for any of that here.

I threw up a rough ( in both a piloting and weather sense ) Warrior landing in the Warrior thread, that one actually does quite well now. The 414 I flew in there earlier was yawing around like I had a loose rudder…

Maybe the Hawk still needs some more stability in pitch & yaw ( it is after all at least half made of rapidly rotating engine ) or maybe it’s fine as is & it’s entirely Asobo, either way there’s definite improvement coming.

Edit: just flew the freeware Hawker Hunter a bit - live weather isn’t the bumpiest it’s ever been ( I suspect a couple more days ) but it handles low level turbulence remarkably well. @NORTMAR I think whoever’s doing the Hawk might want to look at it if they haven’t just for the bump - might be because the Hunter is just bigger, but they might have done something different too. ( Hawker Hunter package for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS )

1 Like

Can’t get her off the ground :frowning:
No throttle response. Tried researching, re-mapping, watching yt videos. Ended up putting a ticket in with JF but was really hoping to complete something I’ve been working on that required this Hawk being able to fly.

Anything with “throttle” in it, I tried mapping it. Mapped it solo, mapped them with others. Tried swiching flight modes. Out of guesses.

You tried mapping ONLY Throttle 1 Axis?

Yes. Then when that didn’t work, tried mapping Throttle 2 Axis.

Not at my sim right now, but IIRC there’s also a command called “Throttle Axis” (ie, without any numbers 1, 2 etc). Try mapping it to that, because I think that’s the default command for all single engine aircraft.

I’ve started a bit late on this excellent addon but am having a lot of fun with it.
Is there a way to add the Start Relight button to my X52 Pro throttle quadrant? I can’t find a command for it in the FS control options.

Hey there, can anybody help out with the TACAN and ILS features with the Hawk. I sometimes cannot capture either, other times I can. I don’t know what is going on or what I am doing different.

One example; I put in a VOR of 108.600 converted to 23X for TACAN and Localizer of 110.300 for the ILS both at LGRP (Diagoras), neither captured.

One thing I noticed is consistent, I can never get it to capture VOR’s using the TACAN conversion and I can usually capture regular TACAN’s.

What do you mean by TACAN “conversion”
If you look in something like LNM (Little Nav Map) and have the correct NavData source, you’ll see any available TACAN’s in the sim listed. These will work correctly (certainly any i’ve used have worked).

Navigraph also shows TACAN beacons with the code. The “conversion” is only really there so civ radio nav can use the beacons as DME, and in game because TACAN is a bit of a hack.

VOR and TACAN are similar but not the same, either select a TACAN beacon & put the Hawk in TACAN mode, or put it in localizer mode & tune a VOR - TACAN doesn’t do glidepaths, so if ypu want ILS tune it like any pther aircraft.

So, I am not familiar with TACAN, am I wrong in saying 108.600 VOR seems to correspond to 23X in the list hawk provides therefore, if I set 23X TACAN it should capture that VOR?

Also, for ILS I tune it like any other aircraft for example 110.300 in this case, but it doesn’t capture.

Should I not use TACAN at all, and put a regular VOR under ILS

TACAN should only be used for TACAN stations you can see in something like LNM. If you only have the frequency, you shouldn’t use TACAN and should use NAV radio in the usual way.

Oh, i see i was wrong about the conversion thanks

TACAN is TACAN, VOR is VOR - only use TACAN for TACAN stations. There is no conversion.

TBH I think the tooltip that shows the frequency does more harm than good, the only time you ever want the frequency of a TACAN station is when the aircraft does not have a TACAN receiver ( so, not relevant to the Hawk ), and you want to use it as DME with normal radio nav gear, because that is the bit of technology the systems share.

If you’re flying around the UK we actually publish all the military navigation networks - https://www.aidu.mod.uk/aip/aipVolumes.html#enr-tab - somewhere in there should be a list of TACAN stations. Navigraph has them plus all the european ones too ( possibly elsewhere also, didn’t look ).

2 Likes

See I got it completely wrong because of the tooltip I thought;

“TACAN doesn’t work well in MSFS so they put the hardware in but we should still use it to tune VOR’s according to the tooltip conversion” because I also seem to remember them mentioning something along the lines of, “we are waiting for more TACAN functionality in MSFS”

Anyway thanks, so TACAN is only for TACAN stations.

1 Like

Yes - if you want a VOR just put the nav selector in ILS & then put the receiver in VOR mode ( tbh I’m not totally sure why it needs a seperate mode, but there it is ). Aircraft can be TACAN beacons IRL ( and DCS ), I don’t think we can have moving radio nav stations in this sim.

1 Like

Anyone knows what’s happening with the Hawk and the revised flight model? Questions regarding that remain unanswered over at the Just Flight forum, the project has gone silent for months.
The aircraft remains pretty much unflyable at the moment, at least when you want to use it as it is intended, as a fast jet aircraft. Give it only some small g load on its pitch axis and the response is spongy at best. A bit of a shame that JF seem to be putting this aside.

I think “unflyable” is somewhat of an over reaction.
With SU12 not far away and with significant changes coming to Xbox, lots of developers are holding off until thats released.

I think that thing was completely overrated from the beginning.
I own pretty much every military jet the sim has to offer. They all work more or less well.
But to this day I can’t see why this one should be the best.
Probably because it’s the most expensive.

Each to their own. It’s a fantastic aircraft. Looks and sounds fantastic and great systems depth. Very much hands on as well and steam gauges is something a lot of people prefer.

3 Likes

I can only speak for myself but price doesn’t come into it. It’s the most alive and hands-on. I enjoy the modern FBW jets for a bit, but they feel numb compared to this where you really have to FLY it.

I like the less assisted planes I guess. The Fouga Magister is another one that flows nicely. Not too much “tech” as amazing as those aircraft are for their capabilities, I just prefer a bit more old-school.

Looking forward to the flight model improvements here though!

3 Likes