Just Flight PA-28 tendency to roll to the left

My JF PA28 has a tendency to roll to the left without constant adjustment on the yoke.

How do I prevent that without having to resorting to the AP ?

That’s mainly due to torque.
If this PA28 is equipped with rudder trim, apply right rudder trim.
Needs to be adjusted for each speed/power change.

4 Likes

OK thanks for a quick reply :grinning:

2 Likes

Well, i have (for all aircraft) AILERON Trimm assigned … keymapped to my joystick (hatswitch left and right)

Allthough the Piper Arrow does not have this kind of trimm, (only Rudder) it works… ! ( as it seems to works for all planes )

believe or not

I ve tested it with many so as specially with the piper … it only has minimal influence , but it does ( you notice it testing it with double or 4x Sim rate)

Real or no real , i use it often want to have it perfect trimmed so that i almost do not need autopilot (at calm winds…)

IRL you also use RUDDER trim, since it’s not only torque which is responsible for the left turning tendency.
AILERON trim would be mainly used due to e.g. a fuel imbalance.

2 Likes

Also check your weight/balance. First time I flew I experienced this and came to find out that it only adds weight for the pilot, unlike the stock airplanes that are ready to go with both the pilot and co-pilot. Solved the issue for me, at least.

3 Likes

Also, set it to the left fuel tank for takeoff and the first 30 minutes of flight. As fuel burns out of the left tank that tendency will decrease. (The things you learn flying single pilot in small airplanes!)

3 Likes

I think there is an issue here with the JF aircraft, On longer flights the aircraft will bank left when fully trimmed with balanced tanks. Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s a bug originating from the Autopilot as that seems to cause some issues with the rudder.

I know I never check if there are two people in the plane by default or not. Have you checked? If it’s just you in the left seat with balanced tanks a PA28 will “lean” a bit. (Granted, I think the effect is exaggerated in the sim vs real life, but it does happen)

1 Like

That has nothing to do with the autopilot nor the issues associated with it.
It’s plain physics as people already have described :slight_smile:

What physics do you mean? The real aircraft does not roll left in trimmed and S&L flight.

As you said: Trimmed. And that’s what you need to do.
The physics are unevenly distributed weight and prop torque.

Ah I assumed he was trimmed :man_facepalming:

I hope they fix this in the update tomorrow. It’s not balance, it’s not rudder trim, it’s not engine torque.

I added a second pilot, same weight. Still there. If I add rudder trim, it helps, but the sideslip indicator indicated a huge sideslip. Not realistic. It happens in cruise (full airspeed), so it’s not a takeoff thing. I know we have to apply control inputs due to weird effects at takeoff.

Even if I chop the power to idle at cruise, it still rolls left, even when the torque is low or even negative.

Kinda ruining the plane for me. If it were a real plane, I’d put it in the shop for a roll trim adjustment and I doubt it’d pass cert.

Did you check your controls sensitivity and deadzone? Just to get sure since I do not experience such a heavy effect.

Recently I had a FSeconomy aircraft where someone before me didn’t know what a fuel selector is and emptied the left tank, but left me a full right one.
The Arrow heavily banked right due to the weight…
So for me the effects don’t seem exaggerated and feel pretty natural.

If it’s not fixed for you in the update, maybe make a video to see how hard the roll is.

I think the OP’s issue was a misunderstanding about trim but I also share the issue you are describing. Aircraft banking left for no reason at random times. I noticed it landing after a long flight yesterday.

Ok, I think see the problem. There is aileron trim in the game, but the real plane does not have aileron trim. The only way to set it is indirectly.

Balance the plane with a 170 lb (or whatever) copilot. Fly it with the AP in roll mode with no roll. The AP will set the roll trim (which cannot be done otherwise unless you have a binding for it).

Then it’s in trim and can be flown by hand with the AP off and no control inputs.

It would be better if the sim set the trim to zero and had the AP fly it with roll commands (ailerons and yoke movement, like the real plane), but I’m not sure that’s possible.

Anyway, if you get it in level flight, enable the AP, but not in heading mode. Just AP so the roll is set zero, in wing-leveler mode). Let it adjust. Then you can turn off the AP, and it will stay wings level and trimmed.

1 Like

BTW, if you always want to have the 170 lb buddy with you, edit the flight_model.cfg file to have

station_load.1 =170,…

1 Like

Also note that switching on the copilot in the EFB will automatically add his/her weight :wink:

1 Like

Um, it sure can. As I’ve said several times, with dead equal fuel tanks, if you are single pilot, it will lean towards whichever side you’re sitting on. I can’t say it any more clearly than that.