Just Flight PA28 crosswind landings

I don’t understand. More nose up trim and light back stick both have the identical effect, IRL and in the sim.

Not sure if I understand that one either. Regardless if you fly the approach crabbed or with a sideslip, the touchdown will be identical in both cases. Nose aligned and wing low.
It’s exactly the same with airliners and and the higher mass doesn’t have a significant effect.
If you decrab an airliner too early and it’s not possible or recommended the keep the upwind wing low, the crosswind will immediately start to push you away from the centerline.

They do in real life.

They really do not during ground roll in the sim.

I thought it was my fault, something with the controller, but it seems it is a bug. Yeah, after landing it is almost impossible for me to control the plane. I do not experience this with the cessnas, which are the other GA planes I fly.

Look at this video, everything is smooth until the wheels touch the ground, then I loose control (yeah, I have very strong winds, but yet, the approach was super stable):

edit: video was recorded pre-SU5, thus the fps at some points.

1 Like

Just tested with the DR400 and I can’t confirm.
Rotation always occurs at the same speed with full up elevator regardless of the elevator trim position.
With neutral elevator and full nose up trim rotation also occurs at the same speed.

Absolutely not what I said. I am sure they are identical. Rotation speed is not relevant.

The point is simple, on my system at least, the erratic squirrely ground behaviour on take-off is mitigated by nose up trim (even half a degree) before take-off but is not mitigated at all by using backwards stick. The difference on my system is so pronounced that I will immediately know if I forgot to change the trim before take-off.

Apparently nose up trim does not make the take-off roll more stable on your system but does on mine. Might be different rudder settings or something, who knows.

Whatever the difference is, it is not relevant. People with take-off issues relating to erratic yaw on ground roll should at least try adding a touch of nose up trim. It worked for me and might possibly work for them. If like you they see no difference, no harm done worth a try.

No expert here, but you didn’t put in any aileron to counter the wind. I think the wiggling you experienced was the same thing that happens if on takeoff with the Arrow if you let it ride the nose wheel. Trimming up on takeoff helps with that, and I think the same should have helped here.

Your approach was a little fast but that might have been to assist with the wind. Keeping the yoke back after landing until you have bled off more speed would probably have helped with the wiggling, as well as increasing aileron input into the wind as you bleed speed, with opposite rudder.

That makes sense to me as if it didn’t the trim wouldn’t be doing what it is supposed to do.

That’s why i don’t understand why @EdamllamaB is experiencing a different behavior.
Either nose up trim or nose up elevator should decrease the wheelbarrowing tendency.
Looks like JF did something different with their Arrow FDM.

For me at least it is the only plane that has that violent head shake if you don’t reduce pressure on the nose wheel. I’m not a pilot so I can’t say that that this is accurate to the real aircraft. But I would also suggest that just because it may be the only plane that does this, doesn’t mean to say its the only plane with an accurate flight model.

This doesn’t make sense.
If the rotation speed is identical, the aerodynamic effect of the elevator and trim are obviously identical as well.

I can’t imagine it would be any different, but I’m willing to bet you could get the same desired effect by deliberately overloading the aircraft towards the back, or move its CoG back manually on the W&B screen. It might take some fiddling to get it right, but I bet you could get it to take off smoothly without trim or back pressure on the yoke if its balanced right. Or unbalanced, as it were. :wink:

Exactly. Additionally if you move the CG aft, rotation should occur noticeable earlier.
If I would fly the JF Arrow I would do exactly that.
The real one definitely doesn’t have this tendency when the CG is within limits.

1 Like

But that would not explain why I was perfectly stable until the wheels touched the ground, or why I do no experience this behaviour why any other GA plane (except the Spitfire, but that could be because of the torque)

Actually it does. The flight model of each plane is different. You are stable in the air because the issue here only occurs when the plane touches down. I believe there are a couple of things at play here: CG as discussed, and having too much weight on the nose wheel, and also if I may be so bold, your crosswind landing technique wasn’t very good.

You had your yoke centred, and were not turning in to the wind at all. I couldn’t see what your rudder pedals were doing, but without any aileron input this would cause the upwind wing to be lifted.

I couldn’t see a windsock in the image, and it was unclear to me which side the wind was coming from, and I’ll need to go back to review the video again. But if it were coming from the right, you should should be rolling the yoke to the right, with left rudder to compensate. Because the sim seems to exaggerate weathervaning, causing the aircraft to rotate about the main gear into the wind, you need to put in quite a bit of rudder to stay on the runway, more than you were using when you were in the air.

Actually, now that I look at it again, I think you had a tailwind landing. As you crossed the threshold your 530 indicated a GS of 102kts. But your ASI is showing about 90kts.

In the final frames of the video you can see a windsock, and you definitely had a tail wind coming from the left, around 12kts.

Very interesting, thank you for your comments.

According to the sim I had 30kt frontwind (I checked it before I set the approach), it seems either the windsock is bugged or, most likely, the sim map is giving wrong info. As you well noticed, I am not using rudder pedals, only the Z axis of my joystick, which makes it hard to use the rudder in GA planes.

That being said, if I am not experiencing any lateral force during the landing, I do not expect to experience a sudden extreme lateral force as soon as my two back wheels touch the centerline, and I mean extreme, it felt like I was being blown away from the runway.

Now I wonder if it could be caused by a bug with the wind, experiencing different forces when you are off the ground than when the wheels are touching it, I seem to recall they said something about that issue affecting certain planes a while ago.

For now I will try updating the plane and buying some pedals, after 1000h of gameplay it is finally time to do so, since I mostly flew airliners I could do with the Z axis, but with GA it is way too sensitive, even after touching the curves.

Don’t expect wonders from pedals.
Except for expensive high quality pedals a twist grip joystick isn’t a bad choice at all.
Especially if you are using pedals where you can’t keep the heels on the floor!

2 Likes

Either is possible, I guess. If the windsock is the issue it would be 180 degree out, meaning the wind is coming from the front right, maybe ~030? It could be worse. Quite a few airstrips I landed at yesterday had two windsocks, each pointing in a different direction. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Hugothester
Suggest to compare your GS with your IAS on short final to find out if there is either actually a head or a tailwind component.

1 Like

Good advice, I will do that next time

Yeah I have had this as well, some are broken

Is there any you recommend? I was thinking about the thrusmaster pedals, but now I am not sure

Depends on the Thrustmaster pedals. If you really think that pedals are necessary, their TPR ones would be the ones to buy, not the TFRP ones.

1 Like